Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
|For an overview of plasma pistol models throughout the Fallout series, see plasma pistol.|
Background[edit | edit source]
The Austrian made Glock 86 plasma pistol (also referred to as the Plasma Defender), was designed before the Great War by the Gaston Glock artificial intelligence. It shoots a small bolt of superheated plasma. Powered by a small energy cell.
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
The Plasma Defender is a powerful energy-based pistol which fires superheated bolts of green plasma. It is able to punch through most critters and low-level types of armor with ease, when compared to the more commonly found and cheaper laser pistol.
In comparison to the standard laser pistol, the Plasma Defender deals more than 3 times the damage per shot and over twice as much damage-per-second (DPS). This is offset by the fact that the it consumes energy cells at twice the rate, reduced durability and has a slightly increased spread.
Additionally, it causes a large green burst of plasma upon firing which partially obstructs view, and the plasma bolts travel at a slow rate, resulting in the need to lead the shot.
In comparison to the plasma pistol, the Plasma Defender only does an additional 5 damage per shot, has a reduced critical chance and is less durable. However, it is a more accurate weapon, uses fewer action points in V.A.T.S. and has a higher rate of fire, delivering almost twice as much DPS. Unlike the plasma pistol, the Plasma Defender is not considered a holdout weapon.
Variants[edit | edit source]
- Arcade's Plasma Defender is a unique non-playable Plasma Defender used by Arcade Gannon. It only differs from the standard pistol in its use of companion ammunition.
- Plasma Defender (GRA) , a variant that can accept modifications.
Locations[edit | edit source]
- Lucky 38, in a floor safe of the cocktail lounge
- Silver Rush, located on a table and sold by Gloria Van Graff
- Dead Bright Brotherhood followers have a 1-in-3 chance of carrying Plasma Defender once the Courier has reached Level 8.
- Y-17 trauma override harnesses at Big MT may carry them.
- Hopeville silo bunker entrance in the Divide, located in a desk with a Hard lock.
- Can be found randomly on marked men.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Prior to patch 220.127.116.114, the Plasma Defender did 36 points of damage on normal and critical hits, used three energy cells per shot, and carried 48 in the magazine.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- merchants, including the Van Graffs and the Gun Runners. This is due to their absence from a number of levelled item lists, while being present on several other lists which are not used. Plasma Defenders are not sold by any