As part of the Unified Community Platform project, this wiki and 38 others will be migrated to the new platform in the next few weeks. Minimal changes are expected as part of this migration. Read more here.
According to local folklore - as well as a statue and museum in Point Pleasant, West Virginia - the Mothman is a terrifying half-man, half-moth hybrid. Pray you never encounter it and learn the truth.”— Fallout 76 loading screen hints
Point Pleasant is a location in Fallout 76.
Sitting on the shores of the Ohio River, Point Pleasant's history dates back to the time of the Colonies. First established as Camp Point Pleasant during the battle of Point Pleasant in 1774 where a Virginian militia defeated the English-aligned confederation of Shawnee and Mingo warriors under Chief Cornstalk (considered part of Lord Dunmore's War). Permanent settlement is assumed to date back that far and tied to Fort Randolph, most notable for the murder of Chief Cornstalk while he was in custody as a prisoner of war. Settlement was bolstered by land grants given out by George Washington, but Point Pleasant remained sparsely settled until late in the 19th century, partially due to the belief in the place being cursed for the duplicitous murder of the Native American chief.
Although the town expanded, incorporating in 1833, it remained small time and mostly a transportation stopover on the way over the Ohio River. The town was built over the site of the infamous Fort Randolph and remained a small, quiet town all the way until the Great War. Its single biggest attraction was the famous Mothman Museum, dedicated to one of Appalachia's most well known cryptids. What the town did not advertise was the fact that the museum was also home to a cult that sprung up around the creature, worshipping it as, effectively, a deity.
After the War, the town was used by the Responders as their outpost on the shores of the Ohio River, connecting their territories with those over in Ohio. Operating out of the converted church, the Responders lasted for a long time, until Appalachia fell to the Scorched.
Points of interest
- Point Pleasant is a quaint, compact little town with most of the buildings boarded up and blocked off. The rooftops give excellent views of the streets below and allow for hunting down any monsters with ease. The downtown and adjacent street are mostly walled off, making navigation a bit more challenging.
- The state roads wind around the town itself, branching off and bypassing the downtown along the river to the west and by the main Responder outpost in the church to the east. The Responder church contains a safe, usual medical loot, a chem station, and a medical supplies automated vendor.
- The primary attraction downtown is the Mothman Museum and the accessible apartment block across the street. The Museum's front doors have to be picked open, otherwise players will have to go around the building and enter via the upper floor, which has a tinker's workbench. The usual museum loot downstairs belies a more interesting find: Through the bathroom, players can access the cultist chapel, which is... Disturbing to behold. The fact that the candles are still lit is even more disturbing. The ritual bindings can be found within.
The key to unlock the bathroom door can be found in the house behind Wilson Brother's Auto Repair
- The apartment block across the street is mostly gutted, although there is a safe within the store. North of it, past the boarded-up building, is an open garage with a potential power armor spawn.
- The eastern road, passing behind the museum, includes an ammo vendor and a weapons workbench.
- Potential power armor: In the power armor station, in the garage below the ruined bridge, at street level.
- Notes and holotapes
- Search Teams: In the church.
- Sermon: Impending Doom, Sermon: Summoning the Mothman: In the secret cult chapel, on the podium.
- Dynamic spawns
- Headwear: Red bandana, trilby hat, newsboy cap, green rag hat, battered fedora, sunglasses, bottlecap sunglasses, combat armor helmet, cop cap, faded visor, black-rim glasses, baseball cap, patrolman sunglasses, blue bandana, green bandana, striped bandana.
Point Pleasant appears in Fallout 76.
- Real-life history.
- The cult chambers beneath the museum.
- Responders in Point Pleasant.