In the next few weeks, your wiki will be migrated to a Fandom.com domain. Learn more here.
The police pistol is a double-action .357 revolver with a swing-out cylinder similar to that of a .44 magnum revolver instead of a loading gate like the .357 magnum revolver. Though it is a double-action, it is fired by the Courier in single-action form with the hammer being cocked back after each shot to increase accuracy. In comparison to the .357 magnum, it features a shorter barrel and a worn matte black finish. It also lacks rear sights and has a shorter hammer with a flat, textured spur as opposed to the smooth, rounded spur of the .357 magnum revolver.
The police pistol outclasses the .357 revolver in three key performance areas. It produces a much higher damage output with critical hits (it inflicts even more damage than the .44 magnum revolver with such a hit) especially so with the Better Criticals perk, has a faster fire rate, and due to its swing-out cylinder, it can fully reload almost a full second faster. Additionally, it is considered a holdout weapon, and can be concealed and taken into weapon-free locations regardless of the Courier's Sneak skill. A police pistol can fire 1121 regular .357 rounds or about 186 cylinders before breaking.
- .357 Magnum revolver, a common variant found throughout the Mojave Wasteland.
- Lucky, a unique variant of the .357 Magnum revolver.
|Name||Type||Dmg/shot||DPS||Att/sec||Crit mult||Crit dmg||Spread||AP cost||Ammo||Ammo cap||Weight||Item HP||Value||Stat Req.|
|.357 Magnum revolver||Single-action revolver||26||45.5||1.8||x1||26||0.5||26||.357 Magnum round||6||2||200||110||Guns:0 Strength:3|
|Lucky||Single-action revolver||30||82.5||2.8||x2.5||30||0.3||17||.357 Magnum round||6||2.5||225||1500||Guns:0 Strength:3|
|Police pistol||Double-action revolver||30||60||2.0||x1||45||0.5||19||.357 Magnum round||6||3||225||1000||Guns:0 Strength:4|
- Puesta del Sol north - located on the terrace overlooking a small courtyard, in the hands of a skeleton.
- Villa - next to a suit case inside a ruined shop at the far east end.
- Salida del Sol - in the hands of a skeleton, behind the counter of a store with a Sierra Madre vending machine located in front of the counter.
- Sierra Madre Resort & Casino - one can be found in the Executive Suites in a blocked off hallway by a skeleton, The Tampico's backstage, and the lobby restroom.
- Villa Police Station - several will randomly spawn inside containers.
- Dean's secret stashes may also spawn police pistols.
|The following is based on Fallout New Vegas cut content and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
- In the police pistol's texture, there is an unused facet of the texture that appears to be a silencer. No part of the UV map is placed on this part texture, nor is there any model for a silenced version of the Police Pistol. This likely means that mods of some kind were planned for the police pistol but were cut for time or resource reasons.
|End of information based on Fallout New Vegas cut content.|
- The UV map for the police pistol has several unplaced points stacked on top of another, which cause some texture stretching on the model.
- There is a mod to fix this very problem.
Behind the scenes
- It is loosely based on the Colt Police Positive, a gun used in the film Treasure of the Sierra Madre, which was mostly the inspiration for Dead Money.
- Cowboy or The Professional perks. Despite being a revolver, the police pistol is not affected by the
- If loading a saved game from the main menu in which you have police pistol equipped and drawn, the reload animation takes twice as long as normal. This can be solved by simply switching to another gun and then back again.
- The police pistol lacks the typical pick up and drop sounds for pistols.