|For the location in Fallout 4, see Poseidon Energy (location).|
Begin your Odyssey with us.”
Poseidon Energy was incontestably the most powerful energy conglomerate on Earth prior to the Great War.
Background[edit | edit source]
Poseidon Energy was an umbrella corporation with its fingers in virtually all known forms of renewable and non-renewable power sources, as well as research and development of new, more powerful weapons through their subsidiaries, so long as they remained profitable. PoseidoNet was a data transfer system that provided instantaneous communication between various Poseidon facilities including Atomic Powerplant № 5, Control Station Enclave, Navarro, Helios One, and other locations throughout the United States and possibly the world.
Though much of the pre-War United States knew of Poseidon, few were aware that several Poseidon-owned companies were given lucrative defense contracts by the U.S. government – or rather, by Enclave members working as lobbyists to gain those contracts. However, most of Poseidon's most promising research projects never reached their final stages.
Many of Poseidon's most promising projects never reached their final stages. After the Great War, Poseidon no longer existed as a real force in the post-atomic world. However, technology scavengers like the Brotherhood of Steel and the Enclave still tried in vain to decipher Poseidon's plans and either confiscate this technology or turn them into working models, respectively.
Subsidiaries[edit | edit source]
The corporation operated a number of daughter companies, which focused on different aspects of the global energy market:
- Petró-Chico was "Un Amigo De Poseidon Energy,", a Mexico-based oil refinement and distribution company.
- Poseidon Oil focused on petroleum extraction and processing, although it also invested in other energy resources, including nuclear power.
- Poseidon Gasoline was Poseidon's division focusing on distributing gasoline and operating gas stations.
- Prometheus Coal focused on coal extraction.
- Agricola was a subsidiary dedicated to uranium extraction.
Projects[edit | edit source]
Civilian[edit | edit source]
- Poseidon Power Management System: An integrated power plant management package used extensively in Appalachia to operate its principal nuclear power plants.
Military[edit | edit source]
- Archimedes I, a base defense system, operated from Helios One
- Archimedes II, a mobile orbital laser strike system, operated by Euclid's C-Finder
- NEMEAN, sub-dermal ballistic armor implants
- PHOENIX, sub-dermal thermal armor implants
- SEMELE, an advanced plasma rifle
- ODYSSEUS, the artificial intelligence in charge of Tibbets Prison
- Hermes, advanced combat armor
- AGRICOLA, a waste-disposal robot
- APOLLO, a laser pistol
- ARES, a plasma spear
- ARGOS, the "slave" robot for Odysseus
- ARTEMIS, a light rail gun
- ATHENA, an advanced power armor, tech level 9
- CRB-S, "dogs" used by Denver City Police Department
- HERAKLES, a model of power fist
- TRIDENT, fusion generators used to power Vaults and other small, isolated settlements
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- Poseidon was the Greek god of the sea as well as horses and earthquakes. His weapon and symbol is the trident. Poseidon's projects often used codenames drawn from Greek mythology.
- The Odyssey was a Greek epic poem written by Homer, it depicted the adventures of Ulysses, or Odysseus, after the Trojan War.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Poseidon Energy logo in J.E. Sawyer's PnP
Poseidon Oil logo
Poseidon Gasoline logo
Clean version by Brian Menze
Pre-War Poseidon Ad for Helios One
HELIOS One billboard from the Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide Collector's Edition
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- PoseidoNet in Fallout 2 identifies the Oil Rig as "Control Station ENCLAVE" along with several other Enclave sites, suggesting a link between Poseidon Energy and the Enclave.
- Hidden Valley bunker terminals; Terminal, Journal Entry 745
- Reid Underwood's terminal details the MPLX Novasurge, the prototype of the unnamed plasma pistol that was almost exclusive to the Enclave military forces.
- Thunder Mountain Power Plant terminals