Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
Prospector (Fallout: New Vegas)
The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
A template in this article or section is missing some data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
This article has missing audio files. You can help The Vault by uploading them.
Better image needed
An image on this page has quality issues that need to be rectified. Please help The Vault by editing or replacing it with a better version.
|For an overview of prospector uses throughout the Fallout series of games, see prospector.|
Prospectors are characters scattered around the Mojave Wasteland.
Background[edit | edit source]
Prospectors search the ruins of the Old World for pre-War technology and weapons to sell or use. They are not hostile towards the player unless provoked, although prospectors can be killed without gaining negative karma. Their equipment is widely varied; they can be found wearing anything from wasteland outfits to a full suit of metal armor, and wielding anything from a 9mm pistol to a 10mm submachine gun.
Dead prospectors may be found in set locations all over the Wasteland. They may sometimes hold a unique weapon or item types, making it a necessity to seek them out. However, most of their corpses are guarded by enemies like feral ghouls, night stalkers, cazadores or deathclaws.
Notable prospectors[edit | edit source]
- Easy Pete, who resides in Goodsprings, is a retired prospector.
- Two NCR prospectors along with a merchant will reside in The Prospector's Den after the Jackal raiders have been cleared out.
Notable locations[edit | edit source]
- To the southeast of Mesquite Mountains Crater (also known as Hell's Motel), there is a plume of smoke. Toward there is a small cliff by two burning motorcycles and a campsite with an irradiated mattress, metal box, and first aid box.
- In The Devil's Throat (found in the northeast of Freeside) is a prospector corpse (wearing a party hat) inside a truck in the middle of the pit, surrounded by evolved centaurs. The unique minigun CZ57 Avenger can be found next to the corpse.
- The Prospector's Den, which is initially inhabited by Jackal gang members, contains many dead prospectors with various loot. After the raiders are all cleared out and you re-enter the den after some time, all of the dead corpses (including the dead prospectors) will be cleared. There will be two NCR prospectors inside the den and a merchant standing at the exterior of the shack.
- In Black Rock Cave (northwest of Helios One), there is a dead prospector's corpse inside the cave, along with nightkin inhabiting the area. The nightkin will either be hostile or friendly depending on how you disposed of Tabitha in the quest, Crazy, Crazy, Crazy. The prospector's corpse contains a unique version of the zap glove called the Paladin Toaster.
- In Cottonwood crater, there is a dead prospector wearing reinforced leather armor and has a Fat Man in poor condition nearby. There are various golden geckos surrounding the area.
- In the deathclaw promontory, there are two dead prospectors lying on a large rock at the back of the area to the east, heavily guarded by deathclaws. One will be wearing Remnants power armor while the other is wearing non-faction T-51b power armor. Each will have a multiplas rifle and tri-beam laser rifle near their corpses. This is the only other way to get the Remnants power armor without doing Arcade Gannon's companion quest, For Auld Lang Syne.
- El Dorado Gas & Service - A prospector may be camping here.
Interactions with the player character[edit | edit source]
Interactions overview[edit | edit source]
|This character has no special interactions.|
Inventory[edit | edit source]
|Brahmin-skin outfit or|
Roving trader outfit or
Merc outfit or
Wasteland outfit or
Metal armor or
Leather armor or
Leather armor, reinforced and Metal helmet or
Roving trader hat
|M&A 9mm pistol or|
10mm pistol or
10mm submachine gun or
Single shotgun or
Caravan shotgun or
Cowboy repeater or
Silenced .22 pistol and/or
Random melee weapon
Drops on death
|No additional items|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- In the G.E.C.K., it can be seen that prospectors have had almost all of their skills increased beyond the normal values, even skills like Speech and Lockpick which aren't used by non-player characters. This is usually not seen in Fallout non-player characters.
- Unlike raiders, NCR troopers, or legionaries, prospectors do not respawn if killed. However, some areas (most notably the entrance of the Prospector's Den) have respawn points where new prospectors will appear to replace the ones that are killed.
- Nearby traveling merchants and their guards may turn hostile if you provoke a prospector.
Notable quotes[edit | edit source]
- "The bosses of the Omergas? Omer-nas? The ones that run Gamorrah? Someone killed them."
- "Have you seen that tower on the Strip all lit up? You can see it for miles!"
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Prospectors appear only in Fallout: New Vegas.