Ranger station Delta
Fallout: New Vegas locations project
Ranger station Delta
Background[edit | edit source]
Layout[edit | edit source]
There is a destroyed building not to far from the tent that is Ranger Station Delta, with a average difficulty locked cellar. While the cellar shows red text when you view it, no one will turn against the player if you pick the lock without being noticed. Picking the lock in sight of the rangers standing outside will however turn them hostile causing them to follow you inside, and grant negative reputation with the New California Republic (NCR). There are a couple of rangers located inside, all items inside are owned by the Ranger, and taking any items is considered stealing. The items found inside are primarily Sunset Sarsaparilla and food stuff, and there is also a reloading bench and a locked gun cabinet (average) with lower grade weapons that can be stolen.
Inhabitants[edit | edit source]
- Pason - May be found patrolling between the camp and the gully that runs to the northeast towards the Hoover Dam.
- NCR Ranger Veterans
Notable loot[edit | edit source]
- Lad's Life magazine on table beside Comm Officer Scheffer.
- Milsurp Review magazine hidden on the generator under the table in the pool room of the cellar.
Related quests[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Like most NCR held positions, this one can feature Veteran Rangers starting at level 16, including their armor.
- Traveling southeast from the camp you will find a cliff leading to the river. In crouch you can drop down the cliffside safely and head directly across the water to a cove inhabited by one or more lakelurks. There is a skeleton floating just under the rock overhang, and three lakelurk egg clutches behind. A second skeleton is in the water near two bobbing explosive crates containing various grenades, mines or even C-4 at higher levels, a bobby pin and some random items.
- A friendly robobrain may spawn at the overlook site looking over Hoover Dam. It has no special dialogue, other than a couple generic phrases but does contain the GBRM2KX memory chip. The chip can be pickpocketed or the robot can be killed for the chip.
- In the basement, hanging on the wall near the sunset sarsparilla lamp, is a very detailed pre-War map of the dam and its surrounding areas. Such maps exist at all ranger outposts, as well as Camp Golf.
- One of the Veteran Rangers that is stationed here may talk with the voice of a ghoul.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- There's something peculiar here involving Ranger Pason and an oddly positioned robobrain overlooking Hoover Dam. Pason never mentions the robot, but it has the name CrRobobrainRangerGBRM2kX and has an ai package called DeltaPasonGBRM2KXPatrol that clearly links it to Pason. In the robot's inventory is an object called 'GBRM2KX Memory Chip,' which due to its attached script can actually satisfy the requirement of having "eyewitness" proof of there being no super mutants in the area for the 'Return to Sender' quest. This is all well and good, but there is no supplied reason WHY this is the case in the game. People have noted it allows you to complete the quest if Pason is dead, but so does just picking up the note he has from his corpse - why bother duplicating an extremely easy objective in the first place, especially in such an obscure manner? It seems to me there was originally going to be some kind of quest that linked Pason and the robot together that was cut. Looking at Pason's dialogue lines this also seems the case - although his final lines are a mish mash of early and later added dialogue from two quests squashed together, they only fill up topics 0, 2, 7, and 9 of whatever was once was there/was planned. That's a whopping amount of dialogue to get the axe, so perhaps it was dialogue relating to some kind of quest to recover the memory chip from a dangerous robobrain gone rogue?
- Interestingly the memory chip item was originally just another clipboard item like the ones found at the other ranger stations - its editor id is actually VMSRSDeltaClipboard and it appears as a clipboard in the player's inventory! It looks like someone changed their mind on having just another boring fetch quest to get an item and started working on something involving the robot but then changed their minds again (probably due to lack of time) and just ended up leaving a load of things relating to it in the game.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Ranger station Delta appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
- Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide Collector's Edition p.376-377: "[3.36] Ranger Station Delta
This Ranger Station was erected on the remains of a ruined farmstead, which is still visible. Ranger Pason is looking for Legion crossing the river. You can ask him, or Scheffer what they're doing, and what the Rangers do. Outside is a Campfire, and a rather grim outhouse, but the real reason for visiting is the cellar under the house ruins. Pick open the lock [Average], and search the pool-table for a well-hidden Magazine!"
(Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide Collector's Edition Tour of the Mojave Wasteland)
- The Courier: "What are you doing out here?"
Pason: "Keeping watch on the river and looking for anyone trying to cross it. The Legion likes to send infiltration teams over on rafts."
- Spare Us the Cutter by moburma
- Spare Us the Cutter by moburma