The Rebreather is a piece of head gear in Fallout: New Vegas.
The Rebreather provides a damage resistance of 3, but no DT, and grants unlimited oxygen while submerged underwater. The player cannot drop or sell this item, and its condition will never degrade. It fills the mask slot, so it does not prohibit the wearing of head gear that only covers the top of the head (e.g., combat helmets). It cannot be worn with certain helmets such as power armor helmets, but can be worn with certain hats.
The item is received from Jack at Nellis Hangars during the Volare! quest, if the player has a Science skill of at least 45, or a pressure cooker.
- To find a pressure cooker, see here for a list of locations.
- The rebreather is one of two pieces of apparel the player can equip in Fallout: New Vegas which provides damage resistance instead of damage threshold, the other being Vault 11 jumpsuits. (The Trenchcoat has a DR of 5, but is flagged as unusable by the player)
- The rebreather is located in the apparel section of your pip-boy and cannot be worn in conjunction with any kind of eyewear, but it can be worn with certain headgear such as the Space suit helmet or the combat helmet. Interestingly enough, since the Goggles Helmet can be worn with glasses, it can also be worn with the rebreather. It also fits on Chinese stealth armor.
- Upon completing the quest, Volare!, the rebreather is not removed from the player's inventory and can be utilized for the remainder of the game.
- If you fail Jack's mission or if Janet is killed, when trying to gain the Boomers' respect, he will only say "Go to hell, outsider. Stay away from me." which means you cannot communicate any further with him, and making the obtaining of the rebreather difficult. He can still be spoken to, however, if you approach him when he goes home to sleep.
- If the rebreather doesn't work (which might be caused by some mods on PC), PC players can use console command player.modav waterbreathing 1 to get around the problem.
- The rebreather is one of the few items that will stay in the player's inventory after entering the Sierra Madre.
- The rebreather is not an air filtration system, and cannot protect the player from the The Cloud in the Sierra Madre.
- You can get more than one rebreather, by returning the materiels after acquiring the first one, and following the same dialog path
You may also obtain the rebreather upon completion of the quest.
The rebreather may sometimes be grayed out in the equipment list, thus appearing to be too damaged to be used without repair. This is purely a display bug and has no effect on its functionality.
- DT may not appear in the slot at the top of the screen under the Items menu in your Pip-Boy 3000, regardless of what else you are wearing. Only when you re-equip the rebreather does DT (and DR) reappear. This can be fixed by saving (confirmed on PS3) or rebooting the system (confirmed on Xbox) or unequip the Rebreather when it says "DT" not "DR" (confirmed on PS3 and Xbox). After equipping the rebreather for the first time, if you unequip it any time before saving, your
|Normal armor||Light armor||Advanced radiation suit · All-purpose science suit · Assassin suit · Chinese stealth armor · Joshua Graham's armor · Leather armor (Lightweight leather armor, Gecko-backed leather armor) · Leather armor, reinforced (Gecko-backed leather armor, reinforced) · Marked scout armor · Radiation suit · Raider armor (Tribal raiding armor) · Space suit|
|Medium armor||Combat armor (Combat armor, reinforced, Combat armor, reinforced mark 2, US Army combat armor, Van Graff combat armor) · Desert Ranger combat armor · Lightweight metal armor · Marked patrol armor · Marked trooper armor · Papa Khan Armor · Recon armor (Broken recon armor, Christine's COS recon armor) · Riot gear (Advanced riot gear, Elite riot gear) · Sierra Madre armor (Sierra Madre armor, reinforced) · Stealth suit Mk II|
|Heavy armor||Armor of the 87th Tribe · Marked tribal armor · Metal armor (Apocalypse gladiator armor, Gecko-backed metal armor) · Metal armor, reinforced (Gecko-backed metal armor, reinforced)|
All are considered heavy armor
|Broken power armor · Remnants power armor (Gannon family Tesla armor, Remnants Tesla armor) · T-45d power armor (Brotherhood T-45d power armor, Scorched Sierra power armor) · T-51b power armor (Brotherhood T-51b power armor)|
|Headwear||Bandana · Beret (Boone's beret · 1st Recon beret) · Boomers cap · Boomers hat · Boomers helmet · Breathing mask (Ulysses' mask) · Caleb McCaffery's hat · Cattleman cowboy hat · Centurion helmet · Chalk's headdress · Combat helmet · Construction hat · Desperado cowboy hat · Destroyed collar · Destroyed party hat · Explosive collar · Fiend helmet (Fiend battle helmet, Fiend warrior helmet, Motor-Runner's helmet) · Gannon family Tesla helmet · General Oliver's hat · Great Khan spike helmet ·Hockey mask · Jessup's bandana · Legate helmet (Marked beast eyes helmet, Marked beast face helmet, Marked beast helmet, Marked beast tribal helmet) · Metal helmet (Metal helmet, reinforced) · Old cowboy hat · Park Ranger hat · Party hat · Pre-War baseball cap · Pre-war hat · Rattan cowboy hat · Rawhide cowboy hat · Riot Gear Helmet (Ranger helmet, Desert Ranger Combat Helmet, Advanced Riot Gear Helmet, Elite Riot Gear Helmet) · Prime helmet · Prime decanus helmet · Raider helmet · Ranger hat · Rebreather · Remnants Power Helmet · Salt-Upon-Wounds' helmet · Salvaged power helmet · Slave scarf · Starlet wig · Sheriff's hat · Suave gambler hat · T-45d power helmet · T-51b power helmet · Trooper helmet (Goggles helmet, MP trooper helmet) · Tuxedo hat · Vance's lucky hat · Vexillarius helmet · Vikki's bonnet · Welding helmet · White Glove Society mask · White mask|
|Eyewear||Authority glasses · Biker goggles · Dr. Klein's glasses · Dr. Mobius' glasses · Eyeglasses · Lucky Shades · Reading glasses · Sunglasses · Tortiseshell glasses|