Recon armor (Fallout: New Vegas)
Background[edit | edit source]
The T-45 power armor model is designed for a single operator and is patterned closely after the human silhouette. It consists of three layers. The first is a black body suit worn by the operator for comfort, insulation, and protection from injuries that may be sustained during the armor's operation. The second layer of the armor is part of the power armor proper. These two are commonly referred to as recon armor when worn together. They form a full body suit made of thick, processed fabric with integrated metal plating that serves as a platform for attaching the armor and on-board hardware. The recon armor is, in effect, the underlying chassis of the T-45 power armor model. Its attachment points and power cell plug at the nape of the neck are essential for the operation of the full T-45 power armor, as the third layer consists of the armor, the fusion power cell, as well as the hydraulics and servomotors that allow the operator to carry heavy ordnance into combat and bear the weight of the armor.
This armor was replaced by the universal power armor frame and matching jumpsuit. However due to the ongoing War it was never completely decommissioned, repurposed as a recon variant of the standard T-45 power armor, without the external armor plating, but increased mobility.
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
Medium armor. This armor is identical in appearance to the recon armor available in Fallout 3, though with a higher value. It provides a damage threshold of 17 (Same as Combat armor, reinforced) as well as a bonus of 5 to Sneak and can be repaired with other suits of recon armor. (Can also be repaired with NCR trooper armor or any combat armor with the Jury Rigging perk.) It weighs 20 pounds.
Variants[edit | edit source]
- Christine's COS recon armor - a unique variant of the recon armor.
Locations[edit | edit source]
- 188 Trading Post - sometimes sold by the Arms merchant.
- Bitter Springs - sometimes in a container at the central far back tent, next to the fireplace and where usually Captain Gilles sits.
- Brotherhood of Steel Safehouse - On a shelf in the safehouse.
- Crimson Caravan Company - can be bought from Blake after getting the schematics from the Gun Runners.
- Great Khan armory, Red Rock Canyon - sold by the Great Khan armorer.
- Guardian Peak - sometimes appears in a footlocker in a tent.
- Gun Runners - can be bought from the Vendortron.
- Hidden Valley bunker - recon armor is worn by the Brotherhood of Steel (Mojave chapter) Knights.
- Hidden Supply Cave - sometimes appears in a footlocker.
- Hoover Dam - sometimes inside a locker behind Quartermaster Bardon.
- Scavenger platform - a recon armor in mid condition can be found, at lake mead in a footlocker guarded by four to five lake lurks.
- It is often (not always) found in NCR supply caches called in with the emergency radio.
- During the Quest Still in the Dark you will encounter three Brotherhood of Steel scouts that wear this armor and the helmets.
- Sometimes appears in a footlocker in Camp McCarran or Camp Golf.
- Also Located in Vault 22 (Lowest level) inside of a locker on the far right side facing a cave opening.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Although this armor is intended to be an "undercoat" for power armor, you cannot wear recon and power armor at the same time.
- Although it is named "recon armor" when you check your status, it states "Initiate Armor"
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- Sometimes the helmet and the armor when bought might be brought to full condition even if the armor you bought appeared to have a condition lower than 50% sometimes even near broken
Gallery[edit | edit source]
- Owyn Lyons: "Scribe Bowditch, I trust you are well. I'm here for your progress report on the modified Recon Armor."
Bowditch: "Ah... you're a bit early today, sir. Regardless, I'm happy to report that the development of the Mark II Recon Armor unit is proceeding as planned."
Owyn Lyons: "I'm pleased to hear that. Do you anticipate any setbacks? Last month's progress was, well... let's call it "underwhelming.""
Bowditch: "There may be a slight delay in the enhancement of the ambulatory gyroscope. A few of the parts I need were lost in the recent... inventory reduction."
Owyn Lyons: "You'll make do, Bowditch. You always do."
Bowditch: "Thank you, sir. I appreciate it."
(Owyn Lyons' and Bowditch's dialogue)
- Armor appearance in the games.
- Item file name: BoSUnderArmor
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition p. 200: "Which Power Armor will you choose?
The full suit of Power Armor has more damage absorption, but less mobility.
The Recon Power Armor is light armor, with extra speed and agility."