Recon armor (Fallout 3)
Back of the armor
Background[edit | edit source]
The T-45 power armor model is designed for a single operator and is patterned closely after the human silhouette. It consists of three layers. The first is a black body suit worn by the operator for comfort, insulation, and protection from injuries that may be sustained during the armor's operation. The second layer of the armor is part of the power armor proper. These two are commonly referred to as recon armor when worn together. They form a full body suit made of thick, processed fabric with integrated metal plating that serves as a platform for attaching the armor and on-board hardware. The recon armor is, in effect, the underlying chassis of the T-45 power armor model. Its attachment points and power cell plug at the nape of the neck are essential for the operation of the full T-45 power armor, as the third layer consists of the armor, the fusion power cell, as well as the hydraulics and servomotors that allow the operator to carry heavy ordnance into combat and bear the weight of the armor.
This armor was replaced by the universal power armor frame and matching jumpsuit. However due to the ongoing War it was never completely decommissioned, repurposed as a recon variant of the standard T-45 power armor, without the external armor plating, but increased mobility.
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
Though lacking the bonuses of full power armor, the recon armor is a good early-game choice for characters focusing on Sneak. The extra five points in a skill can make all the difference, and if push comes to shove, it has a decent damage resistance. In fact, it's comparable to combat armor or Talon combat armor.
Variants[edit | edit source]
|The following is based on Fallout 3 cut content and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
Composite recon armor[edit | edit source]
Composite recon armor is identical to recon armor in terms of stats and looks except for an increased durability. Composite recon helmet is a recon armor helmet with increased durability and an additional bonus of +1 to Perception. Only the helmet can be acquired by conventional means in Broken Steel, but both armor and helmet can be obtained by using console commands without the add-on.
Outcast recon armor[edit | edit source]
The Outcast recon armor is, like the name suggests, a Brotherhood Outcasts version of the recon armor. It has the Outcasts' coloration, the armor is more valuable and the helmet gives +1 Perception. The armor and helmet are only available to the player using console commands.
Stealth recon armor[edit | edit source]
Stealth recon armor is identical to Outcast recon armor in terms of stats and looks except for the ability to generate a stealth field when crouched, just like Chinese stealth armor if Operation Anchorage is installed. The armor and helmet are only available through console commands. (Base ID needed)
Lyons' Pride recon armor[edit | edit source]
A standard recon armor with Lyons' Pride decals.
US Army recon armor[edit | edit source]
A standard recon armor with US Army decals.
Location[edit | edit source]
- Quest reward
- Evergreen Mills Bazaar: In a locker in the jail (suit)
- Pirate Pely (complete set)
- Tepid sewer (complete set)
- Vault 106
- Crow (after investing 700 caps)
- Citadel: Knight Captain Durga
- Evergreen Mills: Smiling Jack
- Megaton: Moira Brown
- Meresti station: Karl
- Paradise Falls: Pronto (after Economics of Violence
- Rivet City: Flak, Seagrave Holmes
- Tenpenny Tower: Gustavo/Michael Masters
- Underworld: Tulip
- Non-player characters
- Citadel: All Initiates in training wear it.
- Temple of the Union: Hannibal Hamlin (without the helmet).
Notes[edit | edit source]
- In the Broken Steel add-on, Elder Lyons can be heard discussing plans for the recon armor Mk. II with Scribe Bowditch (The proctor of the Order of the Shield). In the conversation, Bowditch indicates that this new and improved version of the standard recon armor is on track for distribution throughout the Brotherhood, but due to budget cuts in Bowden's department, he is facing delays in production. Elder Lyons responds with an assertion that Bowditch can make do without the extra finances.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
- Owyn Lyons: "Scribe Bowditch, I trust you are well. I'm here for your progress report on the modified Recon Armor."
Bowditch: "Ah... you're a bit early today, sir. Regardless, I'm happy to report that the development of the Mark II Recon Armor unit is proceeding as planned."
Owyn Lyons: "I'm pleased to hear that. Do you anticipate any setbacks? Last month's progress was, well... let's call it "underwhelming.""
Bowditch: "There may be a slight delay in the enhancement of the ambulatory gyroscope. A few of the parts I need were lost in the recent... inventory reduction."
Owyn Lyons: "You'll make do, Bowditch. You always do."
Bowditch: "Thank you, sir. I appreciate it."
(Owyn Lyons' and Bowditch's dialogue)
- Armor appearance in the games.
- Item file name: BoSUnderArmor
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition p. 200: "Which Power Armor will you choose?
The full suit of Power Armor has more damage absorption, but less mobility.
The Recon Power Armor is light armor, with extra speed and agility."