|For an overview of rocket launcher models in various Fallout series games, see Rocket launcher.|
Rocket canister loaded into the Red Glare
Background[edit | edit source]
Produced in limited quantities for trials and evaluation at the Hopeville and Ashton ballistic missile complex, the Red Glare was designed to embody the shock-and-awe doctrine. Rather than using bulky unguided missiles, the weapon was designed to use miniaturized explosive rockets, loaded in canisters of thirteen. The canisters were designed to be portable and easy to carry, for easy reloading.
This was necessary, as the Red Glare was a fully automatic rocket launcher, capable of expending its entire canister downrange in just a few seconds, allowing for saturation bombing. To maintain accuracy, the tracker module allows for image magnification and enhancement, for more accurate long range engagements. Finally, it was designed to be portable: When not in use, it will collapse its components down, reducing its dimensions by over 30%.
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
The Red Glare is essentially a rocket machine gun. The 13 round rocket canister can be expended in seconds, while the scope (x2.86 by default, can be upgraded to x4.35, the highest in the game) allows for accurate long range engagements. The 500 unit (7.8 yard) blast radius is generous and each rocket's exhaust is colored bright red, striking fear in the hearts of enemies.
Modifications[edit | edit source]
- Red Glare alpha strike: Doubles rocket speed.
- Red Glare auto launcher: +25% higher fire rate.
- Red Glare far sighting: Magnification set to x4.35.
Variants[edit | edit source]
- Missile launcher, the common variant.
- Annabelle: Unique variant of the missile launcher with improved damage and accuracy.
Comparison[edit | edit source]
|Name||Type||Dmg/shot||DPS||Att/sec||Crit mult||Crit dmg||Spread||AP cost||Ammo||Ammo cap||Weight||Item HP||Value||Stat Req.|
|Missile launcher||Missile launcher||125 + 200||513.1||1.6||x0||0||0.3||55||Missile||1||20||50||3900||Explosives:75 Strength:6|
|Annabelle||Missile launcher||150 + 200||663.1||1.9||x0||0||0.02||47||Missile||1||15||100||5200||Explosives:75 Strength:5|
|Red Glare||Automatic missile launcher||20 + 40||240||4||x0||0||0.5||25||Rocket||13||20||450||15000||Explosives:100 Strength:6|
Locations[edit | edit source]
- Marked men camp: On the body of a Marked men hunter.
- Marked men camp: Across from the laser detonator, top floor.
- Canyon Wreckage: Placed in the footlocker after finishing the addon.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- The name is taken from Francis Scott Key's 1814 poem Defence of Fort McHenry, more commonly known as The Star Spangled Banner after it was set to music. More precisely, it comes from this verse: "And the rockets’ red glare, the bombs bursting in air".
- The canister capacity refers to the history of the United States of America: The thirteen colonies and thirteen commonwealths.
Gallery[edit | edit source]