Infobox incomplete (Needs a check.)
The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
A template in this article or section is missing some data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
This article has missing audio files. You can help The Vault by uploading them.
Reilly in her own Ranger combat armor.
[Nah. It was all in a day's work.] You're a cocky little thing, aren't you? I like that. Well, as much as I want to hear all about it, can you tell me a full debrief on what happened out there with my men?”
Reilly is the leader of a small mercenary unit known as Reilly's Rangers in Fallout 3.
Background[edit | edit source]
This rough and tumble lass was born in 2247. Growing up in the ruins of Washington, D.C. without parents, Reilly encountered a military man who took her in and taught her everything there was to know about combat, tactics and survival. When he died 12 years later, she carried his body all the way to Arlington Cemetery, and gave him the best military burial she could.
In 2273, at the age of 26, she founded Reilly's Rangers. Her initial contract from an anonymous "Mr. Smith" entailed super mutant eradication in the ruins. Eventually, Reilly proposed to him a plan to map the Capital Wasteland, noting any areas of interest. The employer accepted the proposal and thus began a massive mapping exercise of the Capital Wasteland.
Following the deaths of Dallas and Kira, Reilly hired Theo to fill in. The first real deployment after this change in roster, to Vernon Square, proved disastrous: the Rangers were overwhelmed by mutants, pushed into the Our Lady of Hope Hospital and then the Statesman Hotel, only to end up besieged at the roof. Reilly made a break for it to get help, but was wounded by super mutants and found unconscious by ghouls of the Underworld, where she remains in a coma with multiple lacerations, contusions, a broken leg, some internal bleeding and blunt force trauma. Nurse Graves was not entirely sure Reilly would even live through the night. After recovery, all she cared about was the status of her men, even more so than her own health.
Since her recovery, she has been blaming herself for leading her men into a corner and being currently unable to help them. After her squad mates are rescued, she intends to stay with them but still wonders if she is still cut out for the job like she used to be. She has a high sense of honor, repaying any debts she has and always going through with a contract. As such, she abhors Talon Company, saying they give mercenaries are bad name.
Relationships[edit | edit source]
Reilly keeps notes of her teammates in her terminal and treats them like one big family. According to her computer files, she and Butcher are in a relationship, and began sleeping together recently. She also has a contact in Lyons' Brotherhood of Steel.
Interactions with the player character[edit | edit source]
Interactions overview[edit | edit source]
|This character drops an ear when killed (Contract Killer).|
|This character starts quests.|
Quests[edit | edit source]
- Reilly's Rangers: After reviving Reilly, she knows something has gone wrong and urges the Lone Wanderer to investigate the whereabouts of her mercs, somewhere in the Vernon Square area.
- Geomapping with Reilly: After rescuing her mercs from the Statesman Hotel, she will ask the Lone Wanderer to take a geomapper module and help her map out the D.C. area.
Effects of player actions[edit | edit source]
- If you constantly pick the meanest (bottom) speech option when first talking to her, Reilly gets mad and will never talk to you again.
- Depending on how you wake her up, Reilly's legs are crippled and can be seen limping if you use your medical skill to wake her up. But she will look like normal if you pass Doctor Barrows' speech check to wake her up.
Other interactions[edit | edit source]
- If asked why there are so many mutants in the area she tells you that Brick thought there is something in the area they are looking for.
- If you have the Gun Nut perk you get a speech option saying that you've heard of Reilly Rangers before, and that they pack serious firepower. This has no further effects.
Inventory[edit | edit source]
Ranger battle armor
|10mm submachine gun|
Drops on death
|No additional items|
*Only when she is in Underworld
Notes[edit | edit source]
- There are a few inconsistencies between Reilly's dialogue and her notes. If you ask about Talon Company, Reilly will tell about an encounter with them in which Brick, the team's Heavy Weapons specialist, almost fought with a detachment of them; where as in her report on Brick, Reilly states that Brick did indeed fire on (and nearly massacre) them. It is probable that these were separate encounters with the Talon Company, hence the differing outcomes. She also states that Theo, the ranger lost in the Statesman Hotel, was a full ranger, whereas his contract is marked in her notes as "probationary". It is possible however, that Theo was promoted after, or immediately before, his death and Reilly didn't yet write it in her log.
- Do not anger Reilly at all in the occasion where you get the quest. If you then go and start the quest another way she and her rangers will become hostile. However the Underworld residents will not become hostile to the Lone Wanderer and will attack Reilly.
Notable quotes[edit | edit source]
- "[No, please continue... Your men are more important than my reward.] Losing a bit of the merc edge, eh? Don't get soft on me now! Well, I've said it once but I'll say it again. You have my thanks. I'd be pretty lost without my guys. So, for your reward, what'll it be? The Ranger Battlearmor or one of Brick's Miniguns?"
- "[Nah. It was all in a day's work.] You're a cocky little thing, aren't you? I like that. Well, as much as I want to hear all about it, can you tell me a full debrief on what happened out there with my men?"
- "[What can you tell me about Vernon Square?] If I wasn't asking for your help, I'd tell you to stay away. It's thick with Super Mutants. I don't know why. Butcher, our team medic, has always suspected something is in the area they are looking for or being attracted to. The only place worse I can think of is the Mall."
- "[What's the deal with Talon Company?] Let me give you a word of advice. Stay away from them, they give mercs a bad name. They have no morals, no remorse and wouldn't hesitate to put a bullet through a defenseless man's head if it meant a job. They've been pretty active lately around the old Capital Building ruins. I'd recommend giving that area a wide berth."
- "[Give me the reward first. Then we'll talk.] No way, pal. No fucking way. I do things by the book. My book. It may seem stupid to you, but it's all we got. So when I ask for a debrief, I want a goddamn debrief!"
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Reilly appears only in Fallout 3.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- Sometimes Reilly, when in Underworld's hospital, gets stuck in a dialogue with no exit options. This seems to occur when you listen to her quest suggestion Reilly's Rangers, choose to think about it and return later, but the quest already appears on your Pip-Boy and states "Find Reilly in Underworld". Carrying out a quick save before talking to her is recommended.
- If you have the Gauss rifle, and you remain hidden, in Underworld's hospital, then shoot Reilly while she is still unconscious, she will fall off the bed and stand up, but you wont be able to talk to her, though you are able to revive her with the required 60 Medicine