In the next few weeks, your wiki will be migrated to a Fandom.com domain. Learn more here.
The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
A template in this article or section is missing some data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
This article has missing audio files. You can help The Vault by uploading them.
Ricky is a compulsive liar with a tendency to create incredible stories about himself as he goes to talk himself up to be a significantly greater adventurer and scavenger than he actually is. His unsubstantiated stories include the time he tricked and killed a Brotherhood of Steel Paladin,, fought and killed four "deathjaws," which are like deathclaws with larger teeth, each with a shot to their eye while also divulging being born in Vault 22 – but he was sworn to secrecy, so he can't say anything about it. Ricky also carries an unhealthy addiction to Psycho and is prone to become agitated and hostile when someone doesn't believe his stories.
He has in his possession a Vault "two-two" jumpsuit and a "pit-boy" (which is broken with a locked screen and missing reboot button) which he loot from a dead prospector in Zion. Ricky says he grew up near Dayglow, stating one of his useful skills to be "a third nut that glows in the dark" because of his high exposure to radiation in his youth. Ricky is going along on the caravan through Zion because there's good loot involved but more importantly, Masterson needs someone to map the area, and what better way to do it than with a Pip-Boy?
Interactions with the player character
|This character is involved in quests.|
Happy Trails Expedition: Ricky accompanies the caravan to Zion Canyon. If he is not convinced to leave the group, he will admit in a panic that his Pip-Boy doesn't even work during the ambush (the screen is locked up but the button to reset the device is missing), shortly before he is killed. As with all the members of the ill-fated Happy Trails expedition, Ricky's death is a scripted event and cannot be avoided.
- Before leaving for Zion, the player can call Ricky out on all his lies when the appropriate checks come up in conversation. Then, after all of Ricky's dialogue checks are used up, the player can tell Ricky he's not cut out for the expedition or either order Ricky to leave the expedition or blackmail Ricky into carrying some of the player's gear, thereby extending the player's weight limit for traveling with the Happy Trails Expedition to 100 WG.
- With a medicine check the player can see that he's a Psycho addict and can push it further by asking if he brought enough Psycho to last the trip. The player can then sell Ricky some Psycho or Fixer for 30 caps per Psycho, up to 10 hits, and 80 caps for a Fixer. If this check is done at the very start of the add-on, it is another way to convince Ricky to ditch the trip in case of a withdrawal in the middle of the trip.
- He tells the player that he killed a "Steel Brotherhood" Paladin by firing through the eye slit by using an 11mm submachine gun, which is a lie. The player can respond that the eye slit is bullet-proof if the player has Power Armor Training, or there is no such thing as an 11mm submachine gun with a Guns skill of 45.
- When Ricky comments about his "third nut" to a female player and offers sex on the expedition, you can use Black Widow and say that you will remember to bring tweezers and a microscope. If possessing a high enough Guns skill, the player can say it'll make it easier to shoot them in the dark.
|Vault 22 jumpsuit|
|10mm submachine gun|
Drops on death
- Ricky can not be killed while still in the cave where the Happy Trails Expedition begins.
Behind the scenes
Ricky's claim of defeating his opponents by shooting them in the eyes is a reference to the targeted attacks of the original Fallout series, where hitting an enemy in the eye was both the most damaging and most difficult attack a player could land.
- The Courier: "You do anything around here, besides talk too much?"
Ricky: "I'm one of a kind! I been places, see? And done things - lots of them! And when it's time to kill shit up? Hell yeah, I'm a fucking storm of death! Something or someone make the mistake of crossing Ricky? I'll fucking deadeye him, her, or it! In fact... yeah, in fact, that's my nickname! "Deadeye" Ricky - that's my name!"
- The Courier: "You're saying that you killed a Brotherhood of Steel Paladin?"
Ricky: "What's it sound like I'm saying? If I was saying what you said I was saying, then yeah, I said it!"
The Courier: "Please go on. This promises to be entertaining."
Ricky: "I was walking along, minding my own, and up pops one of them Brotherhoods. He yells "Hand over that laser rifle, asshole!" So I hand it over, just to make him think I'm scared! But really I'm not! I never am! Before he knows what hit him, I draw my 11mm machinegun and BAM! BAM! Right through the eyeslit in his helmet! D.O.A.!"
The Courier: "Too bad there's no such thing as an 11mm submachinegun."
Ricky: "[SUCCEEDED] There so is! Or it was a 9mm or a 10, I don't know! Don't care! Said I was good at killing shit up! Never said I was good with numbers!"
The Courier: "What a load of crap. The eyeslits of T-series power armor are bullet-proof!"
Ricky: "Then I guess this dumb fucker's armor musta been... D-series or something! All I know is, he died up real dead when I killed him, okay?"
- The Courier: "Deadeye, huh? How did you get that nickname?"
Ricky: "Uh, how you think? I shoot things in the eye, that's how good I am! Yeah, I'm that good! Why, uh, once I got jumped by three... Deathjaws! Except actually it was four of them! Imagine that! But I didn't panic, because... because I never panic! What I did was become a storm of death! Shot every one of them monsters "pop" in the eye!"
The Courier: "Deathjaws, huh? Did you mean to say "Deathclaws?""
Ricky: "[SUCCEEDED] No, no, you heard me right. "Deathjaws!" They're like Deathclaws - but bigger teeth!"
- The Courier: "I've heard of some strange goings-on at Vault 22. Know any details?"
Ricky: "I know everything! I know all about it! But I ain't about to tell the likes of you! I have a sworn vow of secrecy, or something like that, to the people I left behind!"
- The Courier: "Unwarranted hostility and general agitation. How long have you been a Psycho addict?"
Ricky: "[SUCCEEDED] Hey hey hey! Fuck you! I didn't say nothing about using Psycho!"
- The Courier: "Where'd you get the Vault suit?"
Ricky: "Where the fuck you think? Vault two-two! That's where I grew up!"
The Courier: "You're lying. I've been to Vault 22. No one's lived there in 150 years."
Ricky: "You been to Vault two-two, huh? I may have been exaggerating a little. Truth is, I got this suit and the Pit-Boy off a dead prospector who came out from Zion. Guy was dead when I found him, okay? Had a ton of shit on him. That's how I know there's good loot in Zion, see?"
- The Courier: "I see you're wearing a Pip-boy and Vault suit."
Ricky: "Nice job, Eagle Eye! Of course I got a Pit-Boy and a Vault suit! So what?"
The Courier: "Your Pip-Boy isn't working. The screen's locked up, and the reboot button is missing."
Ricky: "[SUCCEEDED] Bullshit! Ain't nothing wrong with my Pit-Boy! I mean Pip-Boy! Look, this is a sweet gig for me! Don't go fucking it up! What are you after, anyways?"
- The Courier: "Do you have any other special skills or abilities?"
Ricky: "Well, I grew up near Dayglow out west, so yeah, I grew a third nut that glows in the dark!"
- The Courier: "What do you use your Pip-Boy for?"
Ricky: "Sorry, the shit I do with it is so far over your head, be wasting my time to put it in words you could understand! Basically, it makes me badass. More badass, I mean. It's totally mind-blowing shit. It ain't just some bracelet, know what I mean? Jed says it's got maps and shit like that, so that's how I'm gonna guide this caravan where it needs to go! Not that I didn't know all that already!"