|For an overview of combat armor variants throughout the Fallout series, see combat armor.|
Another advanced design fielded in limited quantities before the Great War, riot gear was a specialized model of combat armor used by the United States Marine Corps, Army units in the American West, and select law enforcement agencies, such as the Los Angeles Police Department.
The most characteristic element of this model is the helmet. A rounded shell protects the head from incoming gunfire, while the lamps on the right side of the helmet (including infrared and visible light projectors) provide illumination. The armored mask designed to be worn with the helmet is necessary to use the IR lamp, due to the low-light optics integrated into the lenses. The mask also incorporates a locking mechanism to properly join it together with the helmet shell, ear covers with membranes that do not inhibit hearing while maintaining its protective qualities, and air filters. Some upgraded models also include communications gear and upgraded filtering apparatus.
The torso assembly is a flexible vest of rigid impact plates, worn with adjustable straps on the sides and shoulders. One of its most notable additions is a prominent throat protector mounted on the vest, used by military operators to display tactical numbers or the owner's identifying information, such as the name, rank, and blood group, allowing for easy casualty management. Later models of riot gears may include heavier protection, including armored plating on shoulders and forearms. Military coats designed for use with the armor will also typically include some form of bullet-resistant reinforcement.
The riot gears were issued to Army units deployed in Hopeville and Ashton under the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment to gather "volunteers" for black site medical experimentation and other horrible fates. The targets included a hippie commune in Ashton which protested outside the missile base against the ongoing Sino-American War. Compared to the L.A.P.D. riot armor, the riot gear has a reinforced duster designed for use with the armor, a revised helmet model with the usual low-light and communications equipment, and military boots and trousers.
Riot gear is a factionless variant of the iconic NCR Ranger combat armor, commonly available from commissaries and as loot. It is identical to the NCR Ranger combat armor protection-wise, but is less durable (500 vs. 600). It compensates for it with the Riot Geared special effect, which grants a +5 bonus to Guns and +1 to Agility.
The helmet grants Red Eye, which gives +1 to Perception and adds improved visibility between 6 PM and 6 AM when in sneak mode, with a nifty red overlay.
- NCR Ranger combat armor: Iconic armor of the veteran Rangers.
- Desert Ranger combat armor: Desert Rangers' ensemble.
- Riot gear: Standard riot gear issued to soldiers in Hopeville and Ashton.
- Advanced riot gear: Advanced riot gear used by an NCR riot control officer in the Divide.
- Elite riot gear: Unique armor belonging to an NCR officer in the Divide.
|NCR Ranger combat armor||20||30||600||7500||NCR Disguise|
|Desert Ranger combat armor||22||30||600||8000||-|
|Riot gear||20||30||500||7994||+5 Guns|
|Advanced riot gear||21||25||600||8494||+10 Explosives|
|Elite riot gear||22||23||750||12500||+10 Guns|
+5 Critical chance
- Hopeville armory: Two sets found in the locker, one in poor condition, the other in near perfect state in the Very Hard locker right next to it.
- Spawns in commissary terminals across the DLC.
- Riot gear helmets are flagged as hair, allowing other headgear to be worn with them.
- riot gear the shouldersof the duster can randomly change color. Like with the
- Desert Ranger combat armor was used by a Marine in China.
- Riot gear availability in Lonesome Road.
- Fallout: New Vegas loading screen hints - "The distinctive black ranger combat armor consists of the Desert Rangers' traditional trench coat worn with Pre-War riot armor. Ranger patrol armor is hand-manufactured in the NCR."
- Massive Black concept art.
- The Courier: "What do the new rangers mean for NCR?"
Hanlon: "The Baja rangers can do more advance night scouting and sharpshooting to assist the troopers. Ranger combat helmets are old Pre-War gear. They have built in low-light optics. Makes a big difference."
- As seen in the Fallout: New Vegas intro.
- Appearance of NCR Ranger combat armor, Desert Ranger combat armor, and riot gears.
- Riot gear textures.
- Desert Ranger combat armor