Effects[edit | edit source]
Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas[edit | edit source]
With the Robotics Expert perk, you do an additional 25% damage to any robot. Also, sneaking up on a hostile robot undetected and activating it will put that robot into a permanent shutdown state.”— In-game description, Fallout 3
Deactivating a robot will award 10 experience points and will prevent the robot from being accepted as a target in V.A.T.S. However, the unit can still take damage and destroying one will give the same experience and loot as normal. Every attack on a deactivated robot while sneaking will register as a sneak attack critical regardless of the player's location or level.
Robots you can disable[edit | edit source]
- Automated turrets
- Guardian drones
- Sentry bots
- Mister Handies
- Mister Gutsies
- Support drones
Additional dialogue options[edit | edit source]
- You can program Dean Dewey to let you pass.
- You can disable Cerberus's combat inhibitor causing him to attack the ghouls and yourself in Underworld.
- You can force Button Gwinnett to shut down, allowing you to grab the Declaration of Independence.
- You can program Milo in the Nuka-Cola Plant to think you are an employee.
- You can bypass the RobCo facility section of The Wasteland Survival Guide quest while getting full credit for the job.
- You can reprogram the mainframe in the mobile base crawler to have the security robots attack the Enclave instead of you. There is an additional dialogue with Stiggs where he tells you about this when you first enter the room.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The perk specifically exempts versions of Victor, ED-E, Yes Man and several securitrons used by Mr. House to contact the player in New Vegas, and prevents them from being shut down. They are still affected by the damage bonus.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- When you disable a sentry bot, it will continually repeat its "shutdown" animation. But if they are alarmed while deactivating, they'll freeze in place.
- You can sometimes disable a sentry bot, protectron, robobrain or Mister Handy even if it has spotted you.
- When you are given the option to disable a sentry bot, it also gives the option to talk to the robot as if you were interacting with a friendly robot such as Wadsworth. However, you cannot engage the robot in conversation.
Fallout 4[edit | edit source]
With the Robotics Expert perk, you can hack robots and attempt to turn them off or on, or initiate a self-destruct. Higher ranks grant the ability to incite them to attack, or allow you to issue specific commands.”— Fallout 4 loading screen hints
With the first rank of this perk, you can hack a robot to turn it off and on, or initiate a self-destruct. The second rank allows a hacked robot to attack for you, and the third rank allows you to give the robot specific orders besides attacking.