Rock Creek caverns
Fallout 3 locations project
Rock Creek caverns
Background[edit | edit source]
The northern edge of the D.C. metropolitan area is an unlikely place for a cavern. This underground area was made accessible by a gas explosion that created a large crater and opened an entrance into the caverns.
Layout[edit | edit source]
Exterior[edit | edit source]
The entrance to the Rock Creek caverns is accessed through a sewer grate at the bottom of a crater that has exposed the sewer system, just to the north-northwest of the National Guard depot. When coming from the direction of the National Guard depot, there is a guaranteed encounter with two raiders and two super mutants wielding big guns.
Rock Creek Caverns[edit | edit source]
This section is the only section in Rock Creek Caverns, but is a large section incorporating numerous tunnels and offshoots as well as brief areas of the metro system. 15 mirelurks are scattered around the section. At point D on the local map image seen above, there is a bed that can be slept in along with a safe. At Point F there is a mercenary and wastelander corpse or 2 wastelander corpses along with an Easy-locked safe (which may contain a Stealth Boy), a power fist and a few ammunition boxes. Point G has a dead skeletal family and a stimpak and RadAway, along with a teddy bear. Point E just has some dead brahmin and dead ants along with some egg clutches and Point C has a car near the ceiling (apparently where the road once passed through) which can explode.
Notable loot[edit | edit source]
- A Nuka-Cola Quantum can be found in a wooden crate at B on the local map image. To get to it, walk up the fallen stalactite at A, which rests at an angle against a wall in the first and largest chamber of Rock Creek Caverns. At its tip, jump up to where some mushrooms are located. Hugging the wall, walk on the skinny ledge around to B.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- There is a random encounter where three adventurers are attacked by a deathclaw. If you save them, one of them will give you the wastelander map, which shows you the location to Rock Creek Caverns. Even if you just run from the (heavily injured) deathclaw instead of helping them, you can still get the map if the main adventurer lives to talk. Sometimes if you wait a while or fast travel back to the location the wastelanders will reanimate, if they were killed, and you will be able to talk to them. For more info, see Fallout 3 random encounters.
- When you first enter the Rock Creek Caverns, there are a couple of gates in the sewers that bar your advance. Turning off clipping shows that there is nothing past these gates, or any special ways to get past them.
- Behind the building directly to the south of the entrance to Rock Creek Caverns there is a scripted encounter between two raiders, both carrying missile launchers and two leveled super mutants carrying either miniguns at lower levels, or two Gatling lasers at higher levels.(Level 20 super mutant masters with miniguns; Level 30 two super mutant overlords with Gatling lasers).
- Upon reaching the isolated metro section at G, closer inspection reveal a knife and whiskey bottle on the ground near the skeletons, chillingly suggesting how the metro tunnel's collapse might have entombed the family alive along with the defunct cars, with tragic conclusions.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Rock Creek Caverns only appears in Fallout 3.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- Rock Creek Caverns gets its name from the Rock Creek Park in Washington DC.
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition p.367: "6.09: Rock Creek Caverns (LAT 14/LONG -02)
The northern edge of the D.C. Metro outskirts isn't the first place you’d expect to find a giant underground Mirelurk cavern, but access to this gloomy and dangerous locale is available, thanks to a large crater created after a gas explosion."
(Fallout 3 Game of the Year Edition Tour of the Capital Wasteland)