The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
A template in this article or section is missing some data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
This article has missing audio files. You can help The Vault by uploading them.
What? Are you kidding me? This is another one of Forty's tricks isn't it. Well I'm not falling for it.”
Rory Maclaren is a slave at Paradise Falls in Fallout 3..
One of the many held at Paradise Falls, 30-year-old Rory remains here until someone wishes to purchase him. Unlike some of his fellow slaves, Rory is obsessed with escaping and spends every waking minute pondering ways of tunneling, creeping, or bludgeoning his way out of Paradise Falls. He isn't about to be pushed around and has assaulted his captors several times. He’s been placed permanently in the “Box”, where unruly slaves await their fate.
Interactions with the player character
|This character drops an ear when killed (Contract Killer).|
|This character is a temporary party member.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
- Rescue from Paradise: As a condition of leaving Paradise Falls, Penny will ask you to escort Rory to the entrance.
Effects of player actions
- Once freed, he will travel to Moriarty's Saloon and stand in the room to the right where you find Mr. Burke. When attempting dialogue, he will only say "Hey. Talk fast, they hate it when I talk to customers".
|Wasteland wanderer outfit|
Drops on death
- Killing him does not drop Karma level.
- He will fight you if the slavers are hostile.
Behind the scenes
His line "Can't nobody eat fifty eggs." is a reference to the film Cool Hand Luke.
- If you convince Penny to leave Rory behind he will remain in "The Box". If you unlock the door and speak to him, he will repeat the "Talk fast" dialog.
- Rory Maclaren may be dead upon interacting with 'The Box', even before you free any of the slaves making it impossible to free him.
- If Rory is following you during Rescue from Paradise it is possible he will continue to do so even after he has reached the Paradise Falls front gates. This can happen by accident, but can be deliberately caused by fast-traveling away from the front gate as soon as possible.
- Sometimes upon leaving Paradise Falls (having freed him, armed/armored him and let him shoot his way through the now weaponless slavers) he will not go through the entrance, but instead stay squatting in front of the door to the "inside" of the shopping center. He will have already started using his dialog from Megaton, "Hey. Talk fast, they hate it when I talk to customers", but will not follow anymore, or run off on his own.
- In addition to the previously mentioned bug, when Rory will not move or initiate dialogue after being freed, he can be pushed a certain distance and then told to follow. He then begins to follow, and never initiates a dialogue to finish the quest and thus stop following.
- As long as he doesn't start using his Megaton dialog, you can fix some of the aforementioned bugs. Push him to the distance where he begins to follow you again. When he becomes "unstuck" run to the nearest door. If you go through the door before he becomes "stuck" again, it sometimes fixes the problem. The best way to accomplish this is to push Rory out of the front barricades with the two guards, and run directly back into the main Paradise Falls compound through the blue gate. Rory will now initiate his 'free' dialogue and will stop following you.
Rory Maclaren appears only in Fallout 3.
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition p.93: "Rory Maclaren
One of the many held at Paradise Falls, 30-year-old Rory remains here until someone wishes to purchase him. Unlike some of his fellow slaves, Rory is obsessed with escaping and spends every waking minute pondering ways of tunneling, creeping, or bludgeoning his way out of Paradise Falls. He isn't about to be pushed around and has assaulted his captors several times. He's been placed permanently in the "Box," where unruly slaves await their fate."
(Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition Wasteland Census)