Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
Sawed-off shotgun (Fallout: New Vegas)
|For an overview of shotgun models throughout the Fallout series, see Shotgun.|
Background[edit | edit source]
A shotgun, also called a "scattergun", is a firearm designed to shoot a multitude of projectiles with a single pull of the trigger. This makes it very effective at hunting game, greatly increasing the weapon's hit potential. However, the accuracy and power found at close range diminish rapidly as you get farther away from the target. Shotguns designed for military use are often called "combat shotguns". Someone took the time to chop the last few inches off the barrel and stock of this shotgun. Now, the wide spread of this hand-cannon's short-barreled shots make it perfect for short-range crowd control.
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
The sawed-off shotgun is a break action, 12 gauge shotgun that fires both shells at once. Each shot delivers 14 pellets (instead of the typical 7), and while its damage-per-second is low, it inflicts good burst damage at close range.
This weapon, like all other shotguns, has a large weapons spread. In fact it has the largest spread of all weapons, so much so that in order to gain the high damage of its shot, you have to fire it at point blank range so that all the pellets impacts the intended target.
Furthermore, it is also considered an improved holdout weapon, and can be concealed and taken into weapon-free locations so long as your sneak skill is 50 or greater. A sawed-off shotgun at full condition can discharge 396 times (792 shells) before breaking. This amount is exactly the same amount as its unique variant.
Variant[edit | edit source]
- Big Boomer, a a significantly stronger and more accurate unique variant.
Comparison[edit | edit source]
|Name||Type||Dmg/shot||DPS||Att/sec||Crit mult||Crit dmg||Spread||AP cost||Ammo||Ammo cap||Weight||Item HP||Value||Stat Req.|
|Sawed-off shotgun||Shotgun||100||234.4||2.3||x1||7||4||37||12 gauge shotgun shell||2||4||80||1950||Guns:50 Strength:4|
|Big Boomer||Shotgun||120||309.4||2.6||x1||9||3.5||35||12 gauge shotgun shell||2||4||80||2500||Guns:50 Strength:4|
Locations[edit | edit source]
- Atomic Wrangler Casino - there is a gun case in the back room behind the bar. You can find two sawed-off shotguns, as well as some shells.
- Jessup carries a sawed-off shotgun.
- Gun Runners - can be purchased from Vendortron
- Sawed-off shotguns are carried by the bartenders at The Tops Casino in the restaurant and theater.
- You can receive one from Heck Gunderson during the quest Beyond the Beef, right after contact with Chauncey, head back to Heck and tell him that his son was kidnapped and is being held in the hotel.
- Should you help Cachino kill Big Sal and Nero in How Little We Know quest, he'll hand you a sawed-off and thirty 12 gauge magnum shells when you enter Nero's office.
- Sloan - In the worker barracks in an easy-locked cabinet.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- The sawed-off shotgun, as well as its Fallout 3 counterpart, is almost visually identical to the shotgun used by Max in Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior. This is just one of the many Mad Max references in the Fallout series.
- There is a weapon entry for a sawed-off shotgun that is set up to use magical companion ammo, but it isn't used anywhere in the game. The entry is positioned after all of the other companion weapons, like Veronica's 10mm pistol, or Boone's scoped hunting rifle, suggesting that it was to be the ranged weapon for a cut companion (potentially Ulysses).
Bugs[edit | edit source]
The sawed-off is set up to produce a shell casing after firing, like the majority of semi-automatic weapons with an ejection port, so each shot technically produces three empty 12 gauge hulls - one flies out of the gun nonsensically after firing, and the expected two are removed when reloading.