Scavenger (Fallout 3)
Scavengers are generic traders in the Capital Wasteland in Fallout 3.
Talented salvagers with a knack for trade, scavengers are a common sight throughout the Capital Wasteland, picking through the ashes of the Old World looking for items to restore and sell. Although varying in terms of stock, weapons, and entourage (they can be alone, with guard dogs, robots, or even a tame yao guai), they are easily identifiable by their trader outfits, complemented by some sort of wasteland headwear.
|This character can be enslaved with the Mesmetron.|
|This character is a merchant.||Caps: 100-300|
Sells: guns and ammo, consumables, apparel, junk
|This character can repair items.||Repair cap: 20-51|
- Scavengers are frequently encountered across the wasteland in both random encounters and fixed locations. The latter include:
- Meresti Trainyard: Exterior.
- Reclining Groves Resort Homes: Barn to the east.
- Flooded Metro: Outside, nearby.
- Lucky's: A red convenience store to the southwest of Warrington Station, and south of Tenpenny Tower.
- Jocko's Pop & Gas Stop: To the east, roughly north of Signal Sierra Victor
- Falls Church station: Overpass above the highway to the west, north of Red Racer Factory.
- SatCom Array NW-07c: West, under a derelict satellite dish.
- Scavenger Shack: West of Hamilton's hideaway.
- Scavenger's Dock: West bank of the Potomoac, southeast of Wilhelm's Wharf towards the Anchorage War Memorial
- Pennsylvania Avenue: With a pair of guard dogs
- Freedom Street Station: Near the exit to Metro Central.
- Fort Bannister: Derelict house to the north, further north of Charnel House.
- Vault 106: To the east.
- Megaton: Outside of the town limits.
- Fairfax Ruins: To the south, may fall prey to raiders.
- Canterbury Commons: Water tower to the north.
- Georgetown: Inside the Radiation King shop.
- Fort Independence: Ruined house to the northwest.
- Arlington Memorial Bridge: Underneath the bridge, between the Citadel and ruins. May have to be cleared of raiders first.
- Five Axles Rest Stop: Northeast, under the collapsed bridge and monorail, look for a burning barrel.
- Oasis: In the area with pools of water.
- MDPL-05 Power Station: Near the locked gate.
- In random encounters, scavengers may be encountered near an object they are attempting to salvage, such as a robot, a vehicle, or a random spot in general. In this case, the scavengers may turn hostile if the player approaches them too closely or intrudes on the spot they are attempting to salvage. They will usually issue a warning, and attack once the player ignores it and approaches the target.
- Scavengers generally offer an opportunity to purchase various wares from them, ranging from generic junk to a variety of weapons. They can carry a very broad range of weapons, from meager hunting rifles all the way to missile launchers or flamers. Their entourage will also participate in the fight, and can prove more dangerous than scavengers if said party includes a yao guai. The scavengers themselves are above average fighters, roughly comparable to Lyons' Paladins, but hamstrung by their poor armor. Most scavengers will not respawn if killed or mezzed.
- In Broken Steel, scavengers can occasionally be found in charge of water caravans with aqua pura: Themselves, an aqua pura brahmin and a pair of guards from either either Rivet City Security or Lyons' Brotherhood of Steel.
- The player can also come across a scavenger with a malfunctioning Mister Handy. They can repair it with a high-enough Repair skill in return for fusion cells and 100 caps (with a Speech check).
- Note that the robot can become hostile if there are other hostile robots in the area, and attack the player.
- Another random encounter includes a scavenger who mentions a strange light to the north and carry a holotape that will mark the Oasis on the player's world map.
- Finally, the player can decide to obtain a discount and shoot the scavenger in the face. Since all caps paid for their wares are returned to their inventory, this allows for getting money back fast.
|Roving trader outfit|
|.32 pistol or|
10mm pistol or
Chinese pistol or
Hunting rifle or
Sawed-off shotgun or
Chinese assault rifle or
Drops on death
Scavenger referring to Big Trouble in Big Town quest
These Scavengers appear only in Fallout 3.