Background[edit | edit source]
The first scorchbeast was accidentally created when Enclave scientists exposed irradiated bats to biochemical experiments in early 2083. Although it would have been a wiser choice to exterminate them, Secretary Eckhart ordered further study of the creatures in controlled habitats at the abandoned AMS mining complexes, while keeping the officer corps in the dark. The future President wanted - needed - a way to fool the region's monitoring systems into believing that they were under immediate threat, raising the alert level to DEFCON 1 and giving him access to the nuclear arsenal. Although kept in isolation, theoretically, individual beasts made it to the surface at disturbingly regular intervals, as early as 2084. Despite increasing opposition from the officer corps, Eckhart finally unleashed them on the region in 2086, creating a pestilence that threatened to render the human race extinct on a continental scale.
The people of the wasteland first learned about the Scorchbeasts from reports issued by the Brotherhood of Steel under Paladin Taggerty. Although they dismissed them as pure stories to give Taggerty an excuse to commandeer ammo and supplies, they were soon proven wrong by their appearance and the plague that followed in their wake. The Scorched, terrifying, warped creatures created out of humans afflicted by the scorchbeast plague have become an existential threat to the people of Appalachia. The situation is made worse by the fact that their breeding cycles are off the charts, limited only by the available nest space in the mining tunnels below Appalachia.
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
Scorchbeasts. The name conjures terrifying images of huge mutated bats that poison the ground and warp living creatures into deadly thralls: The Scorched. Mutated from Chiroptera (bats), they are the size of a small car, highly aggressive, dangerously radioactive, and release the aforementioned plague. They aren't strictly nocturnal and are equally willing to move alone or in small groups.
The beasts are potent foes. Responders came up with a number of tactics to fight it, which boil down to doing everything in their power to keep away from it and finding an enclosed space to fire from, as Scorchbeasts are simply too big to fit into small spaces. Coupled with the radiation they emit, Rad-X is also recommended.
Notably, scorchbeasts can use echolocation to call in ground reinforcements.
Drops[edit | edit source]
- Scorchbeast meat, heart, liver, lung, brain, bone
- Large amount of bottle caps
- Ultracite power armor mod recipes
- Random ultracite weapons
- Random ultracite weapon mods
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Scorchbeasts appear in Fallout 76.
- Whitespring surveillance recording 5.4.8
- Sam Blackwell's bunker terminals: "Some Kind of Bat"
- Whitespring surveillance recording 8.5.2.
- Morgantown Airport terminals: "Scorched Research"
- Fort Defiance terminals: "Scorchbeast: Analysis We've learned much since we lost contact with Elder Maxson. Grant says it's pretty much worst case. Threat assessment: Actual Sierra Bravos are reinforced, mobile, and cunning predators. Bravos use echolocation to call in ground reinforcements. The breeding cycle for the Bravos is off-the-charts. The saving grace in all this is that the Sierra Bravos only nest in specific places. We've found three nests in old mining tunnels below the Bog, but there's a main nest somewhere that's the real problem. In order to stop the Bravos from spreading outside Appalachia and possibly becoming an extinction event, we have to destroy their main nests."