|For the Fallout demo location, see Scrapheap. For the Pitt location, see Steelyard.|
Fallout 3 locations project
The scrapyard is a location in the Capital Wasteland. Aside from the heaps of junk, it is the place where Dogmeat will be encountered, fighting a small band of raiders. Also, Brotherhood Outcasts may be found in the entrance, hoping to scavenge pre-War technology.
Looping along the south side of the scrapyard is an elevated railway which, along with bordering roads, puts it in a makeshift depression. Even further south is simply geography sloping downwards into the river basin.
The scrapyard can be entered through several breaches in the southwest, west, or north sides or through multiple gates on the south side.
- In the northwestern part of the Scrapyard are the remnants of a tour bus on the southwestern corner of a red box car. In that tour bus, there is an ammunition box with Grognak the Barbarian, Guns and Bullets, and U.S. Army: 30 Handy Flamethrower Recipes. You must have a Lockpick skill of at least 75 to open the box. The other way to open it is to obtain John's key, which is available in a random encounter.
- Lying, Congressional Style is obtainable in the scrapyard office. The office will open only if you have the Contract Killer perk.
- If you fast-travel here, there will usually be a group of Brotherhood Outcasts, and occasionally a sentry bot, depending on your level.
- When initially entering the scrapyard, Dogmeat, a companion, can be found fighting raiders towards the northeastern corner. You will hear gunfire as you approach this location. There will be at least three raiders that Dogmeat is fighting, as well as a dead scavenger. These raiders have a significantly lower amount of hit points than normal.
- Usually by the time you reach Dogmeat and the 3 or 4 raiders, he will have already killed all of them. Whether or not they are all dead before you get there depends on how much time it takes for the player to encounter the situation. Coming in from different directions will also affect whether the raiders will still be alive by the time you arrive.
- The Scrapyard office at the southern end of scrapyard (by the chain link fence gate) can only be accessed after taking the Contract Killer perk. Prior to obtaining the perk, the door to the office will require a key to open.
- The ammunition box containing the skill books can be extremely difficult to see amongst the burnt-out husk of the bus. While standing in the wreckage, it is at the bottom of the small set of steps.
- If you try to resurrect the dead scavenger using the console command RESURRECT, their head will explode immediately. Using the setessential command, you can make them survive this (sometimes grotesquely), but they will probably have no caps and only have a bottle of whiskey to sell (Base 6a776, Ref 7db9e).
- Because of all the objects in the scrapyard, there are numerous small spaces and crevices in which you or your companion can get stuck. It is advisable to save your game before entering the scrapyard so you can return to a previous, un-stuck condition. Other than that, you can always fast-travel to a different location and return.
Scrapyard appears only in Fallout 3.
- Fawkes to become stuck inside one of the many cars. Telling him to wait outside of the scrapyard area, fast-traveling, or shooting him can solve this problem. It is possible for
- It is possible for you to become stuck inside one of the many cars. To resolve this, you may fast-travel to a different location or reload a previous save.
- It is possible for Dogmeat to push a car away just by making contact with it. Is does not seem to have any consequence, except for the car being misplaced from its original spot.
- It is possible that one of the cars/buses will glitch and continuously fall from the sky.
- It is possible for Dogmeat's encounter with the raiders not to happen. This is easily resolved by fast-traveling to a different location and returning.