Location of the Tesla Coil
Quick walkthrough[edit | edit source]
- Talk to Paladin Tristan.
- (Optional) Talk to Scribe Vallincourt about controlling Enclave deathclaws.
- Travel to Old Olney.
- Work your way through the Old Olney underground into the Olney Powerworks.
- Retrieve the Tesla coil and bring it back to Tristan in the Citadel.
Detailed walkthrough[edit | edit source]
Talk to Paladin Tristan[edit | edit source]
Right after completing Death From Above you are told to talk to Paladin Tristan in the Citadel. Tristan briefs you on your next mission, which is to retrieve a pre-War experimental device called Tesla coil from the remains of Olney Powerworks. The scribes need the coil to finish a little surprise for the Enclave.
(Optional) Use Enclave-controlled deathclaws to your advantage[edit | edit source]
If you ask Tristan for a little help, he tells you to talk to Scribe Vallincourt in the Citadel Lab. She gives you a Deathclaw Control Scrambler which allows you to "hijack" Enclave-controlled deathclaws so long as you are within range of an Enclave transmitter.
South-east of Old Olney is an Enclave camp where you can test the controller. All you have to do is unlock the Deathclaw Cage and let it kill the Enclave soldiers. You can also sneak up the nearby collapsed bridge and get within range of the deathclaw and watch it attack the Enclave soldiers. Although a lot of the time you never get the 'completed' notification for this (optional) task and the marker stays on radar until you enter the Old Olney sewers.
Find the ruins of Olney Powerworks[edit | edit source]
Once you get to Olney, bring up the local map on your Pip-Boy and look for the entrance to the sewer. Once you get into the sewer, find the ladder which leads to Old Olney Underground. Arriving there, you are greeted by the ghouls Wint and Kidd who are the last survivors of a group of ghouls which tried to establish a settlement here - a plan the deathclaws apparently did not approve of. The ghouls leave after your conversation, deducing that it's safe to leave the way you came.
From here on, the way to Olney Powerworks is pretty linear. Navigating the deathclaw-infested Old Olney Underground, you find Wint's and Kidd's dead comrades, like Badger, Connelly, Dunbar, Carl and Sanders, and eventually reach a door to Old Olney S. Wilson Building. In the building you encounter a couple of Enclave soldiers and a door on the second level (behind two Enclave soldiers) that leads to Olney Powerworks.
Find a Tesla coil[edit | edit source]
The old power plant is guarded by sentry bots which can be deactivated from a couple of security terminals. You can either take the short way by hacking the very hard terminal through the door to your left a bit after you enter or the long way to the right of the fork. Either way, you eventually reach the room with the Tesla coil which is inside a still-functioning electrical device. Removing the coil results in sustaining a large amount of damage unless you first go down to the room adjacent to the chamber and use the Hard-locked terminal outside the door to the Tesla chamber to shut off the power. Alternately, you can jump into the Tesla Coil chamber from above and activate the three emergency switches inside the chamber. You still receive a small shock, but greatly reduced. If skill level prevents access to the shutdown switch throwing a few pulse grenades into the Tesla pit will knock out the power preventing any accidental damage to the player allowing them to access the three switches.
Take the tesla coil to Paladin Tristan[edit | edit source]
Once done, a nearby ladder takes you out to a street north of Old Olney. Here you are likely greeted by a couple of deathclaws and upon defeating them you can fast travel back to the Citadel. Hand the coil over to Tristan and receive your next assignment, Who Dares Wins.
Quest stages[edit | edit source]
|10||Speak with Paladin Tristan|
|20||Find the ruins of Olney Powerworks|
|30||Acquire a Tesla Coil|
|40||Deliver the Tesla Coil to Paladin Tristan|
|50||Report to Paladin Tristan for your next assignment|
|60||(Optional) Speak with Scribe Vallincourt in the Citadel Lab|
|61||(Optional) Use Enclave-controlled Deathclaws to your advantage|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- While in the sewers, if one takes a short diversion, they can find a dead Brotherhood of Steel member with the unique prototype medic power armor.
- While attempting the optional quest to use deathclaws to your advantage, make sure you tell your followers to wait; otherwise they might kill the deathclaw, thereby blowing the option.
- The "help" provided by the deathclaw Control Scrambler is questionable as the only Enclave-controlled deathclaw encountered during this quest is located in the Enclave camp outside Old Olney and cannot leave the radius of the Enclave transmitter without dying. One more controllable deathclaw will be encountered within the Mobile Base Crawler.
- The manhole the ladder connects to is initially exit only, so forget about short cutting in that way. You can, however, use it to return to Olney Powerworks later on.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- When in Olney Powerworks, at the door with the hard terminal and the two turrets on the other side, you may not be able to pass through the door after it is opened. To fix this travel back down the stairs, save, and then you should be able to pass through.
- Once you get the Scrambler and if you travel to your Megaton home, an Enclave deathclaw may appear at your house. It follows you outside and begins attacking the settlers.