Slot machine (Fallout: New Vegas)
Image needed (Get a screenshot of the interface that pops up when use a slot machine)
This article or its infobox is missing an image. Please help The Vault by uploading it.
Slot machine in Fallout: New Vegas.
A slot machine or simply slots is a casino gambling machine with three or more reels which spin when a button is pushed. Slot machines are also known as one-armed bandits because they were originally operated by a lever on the side of the machine (the one arm) instead of a button on the front panel, and because of their ability to leave the gamer penniless. They appear in Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout: New Vegas its add-on Dead Money, the Fallout 4 add-on Vault-Tec Workshop, and Fallout 76 in Vault 51.
Betting[edit | edit source]
Bets can range from 1 - 200 chips. Chips must be purchased from the casino cashier being frequented. Note that if you are having trouble finding the cashier look for a person behind a barred counter.
Payouts[edit | edit source]
Payouts are calculated by the bet amount and the payout multiplier.
|Bet x 2|
|Bet x 5|
|Bet x 10|
|Bet x 10|
|Bet x 20|
|Bet x 30|
|Bet x 40|
|Bet x 60|
|Bet x 100|
- Hidden/No-Win Symbol
Players should be aware that there is an additional no-win symbol on the reels that is not mentioned by the game. Players not familiar with slot machines may wonder why the symbols do not always line up. This is due to the fact that the divider 'line' in between the mentioned symbols is also a symbol. If one of the 'lines' falls in between the indicator arrows on the slot machine then the only way for a player to win any money is with Cherry symbols.
Locations[edit | edit source]
Slots can only be played at the following locations:
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Pre 188.8.131.525 patch slots could be the most lucrative method of gambling at the casinos. Winning a large payout could allow you to greatly exceed the limit at which the casinos will ban you from further play. The max bet of 200 caps with a 3x Orange spin would pay out 32,000 caps, several multiples greater than the banning limit at most casinos.
- As of the version 184.108.40.2065 patch, slots payout about the same as roulette when betting 200 caps inside on a single number. The max bet of 75 caps with a 3x Orange spin will pay out 7,500 caps.
- Normally, as you reach certain thresholds of net winnings in a casino, you will be stopped by the Floor Manager and offered increasing rewards followed by an eventual ban. Winning a large payout, however, may cause you to skip certain rewards, or even be immediately banned. This may prevent you from receiving the High Roller's suite in The Tops.
- Reloading a save game while in a casino causes a 60-second cool-down on all the gambling stations, preventing their use. The slot machine displays the message "The machine appears to be taking a minute to reset itself as an anti-cheating measure. Time remaining XX" (XX being the amount of time remaining, starts at 60). This is to discourage players from saving after every win and loading after any loss in order to ensure a monetary gain. On the 360, this cool-down period can be avoided by resetting the clock on the 360 to earlier than when the game was actually saved (will not work if connected to Xbox Live, because this automatically corrects the 360's internal clock).
- Ultra-Luxe has no slot machines. They are likely considered too noisy and garish for the society's premises.
- There is a seemingly unused slot machine model in the GECK called "ULTRASlotMachine05", implying that it might have originally been planned for the Ultra-Luxe to have slot machines. See below for a render of the Ultra-Luxe slot machine.
- Even though the in-game tip only states that Luck 'slightly' influences the outcome of gambles, it seems that its influence on slots is almost decisive. It will usually only take a dozen spins for a character with 10 Luck to hit a jackpot in any casino.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- Sometimes the game will glitch and won't pay you when it has landed on three oranges. It also might pay you for landing on two and a No-Win symbol close to the other orange.
- Sometimes when attempting to play slots, an error with occur preventing you from playing. When selecting the slot machine, a Pip-Boy face will give an error stating "Invalid Chip in CasinoData List!"