We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: TBD -- Update: Fri 10/20 11pm UTC - We have encountered some unexpected issues. Our staff is working around the clock to complete this process as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.
From The Vault - Fallout Wiki
Someone to Watch Over Me is a side quest in Fallout: New Vegas.
North Vegas square has been having some problems recently and Crandon could use some help taking care of them.
- Talk to Crandon at North Vegas square.
- Deal with the newcomer squatters.
- Physically attack the squatters. This results in New California Republic infamy.
- Pay the squatters to move on with a Barter check of 45 and 50 caps.
- Threaten the squatters and convince them to move on with a Speech check of 45.
- Return to Crandon and listen to his next assignment.
- Enter the north sewers through the manhole, and deal with the Greasy Johnny and his Greasers.
- Attack and kill the greasers.
- Talk to Greasy Johnny and convince him to stop causing trouble with a Speech of 65.
- Pay Greasy Johnny 100 caps (or 50 caps with a Barter of 50).
- Return to Crandon for the next assignment.
- Talk to Mrs. Hostetler, and help her spy on her daughter's new friends.
- Talk to Jules in the North Vegas square to find that Alice Hostetler is hanging around Andy Scabb and his crew in The Gray.
- Go to The Gray and get into Scabb's room, either by picking the door (requires Lockpick of 50) or by pickpocketing the room key off one of the thugs guarding the door.
- Take the henchman message to Andy Scabb underneath the TV and return to Mrs. Hostetler with the evidence.
- Talk Alice down from killing her mother with a Speech check of 70 or Intelligence check of 7, or through standard dialogue options. Convince her to either stay with her family, or leave and never come back.
|1|| ||Deal with the newcomers.|
|2|| ||Talk to Crandon about the newcomers.|
|3|| ||Deal with the band of troublemakers.|
|4|| ||Talk to Crandon about the greasers in the sewers.|
|5|| ||Talk to Mrs. Hostetler.|
|6|| ||Find information about Alice Hostetler's new friends.|
|7|| ||Look for Alice Hostetler and her friend, Andy, in the building named The Gray.|
|8|| ||No sign of either Alice or Andy. Inspect The Gray for clues to their whereabouts.|
|9|| ||Tell Mrs. Hostetler about Andy's plan to steal the Crimson Caravan Money.|
|10|| ||Alice almost attacked her mother. She decided to let go and stay with her parents.|
|11|| ||Talk to Mrs. Hostetler.|
|12||Mrs. Hostetler wanted to live up to her end of the deal, and was relieved that Alice wanted to stay with them.|
|13||-OR- Although saddened by Alice's escape, Mrs Hostetler lives up to the end of her deal.|
|14|| ||-OR- Alice attacks her family, killing her mother.|
|15|| ||-OR- Alice attacked her house. After attacking her mother, both of them died.|
|16||Get the Crimson Caravan money.|
If you use the speech check telling Alice that "only she can answer her dreams" and then attempt to follow her out of the house, without first speaking to Mrs. Hostetler, she dies immediately as you appear outside. You fail the quest and receive negative karma. If you first speak to Mrs. Hostetler and end the quest, then exit the house Alice is gone and presumed alive, and you will not receive any negative karma.
There will sometimes be no Speech option available for talking down Alice, as it goes back to the Intelligence option numerous times.
- If experienced on the PC, you can fix it somewhat with console commands. Using the base id on this page, reset the quest, set the quest stage to 55, resurrect Alice and talk to her again. The quest line will be completely bugged at this point though. The only way found to have the quest end successfully without the Courier being blamed for killing her was to tell her to run away.
If you kill Mrs. Hostetler prior to starting the quest, the quest will not fail and become impossible to complete.
Sometimes it takes several attempts at conversation with Crandon to be able to turn the squatters in.
When Andy confronts the Courier, it's possible to exit conversation without a Speech check or fighting by selecting the, "Goodbye" option, which, presumably, is not supposed to be available. Andy will then act as if nothing has happened and allow the Courier to continue with the quest.
- If caught lock-picking Andy's door after having spoken to Mrs. Hostetler, but before having spoken to Jules, the guard to Andy's room will not attack, only pull his weapon, accuse you of stealing, then re-holster his gun. This makes it easy to pre-pick the lock, then speak to Jules, then get the note.
|Act 1||Ain't That a Kick in the Head · Back in the Saddle · By a Campfire on the Trail · They Went That-a-Way · Ring-a-Ding-Ding!|
|Act 2||Wild Card (Wild Card: Ace in the Hole, Change in Management, You and What Army?, Side Bets, Finishing Touches) · The House Always Wins (I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII) · Render Unto Caesar · Et Tumor, Brute? · Things That Go Boom · Kings' Gambit · For the Republic, Part 2 · You'll Know It When It Happens/Arizona Killer|
|Act 3||No Gods, No Masters · All or Nothing · Veni, Vidi, Vici · Eureka!|
|Other||Come Fly With Me · Crazy, Crazy, Crazy · Ghost Town Gunfight · Guess Who I Saw Today · Left My Heart · My Kind of Town · The Legend of the Star and A Valuable Lesson · Unfriendly Persuasion · Wheel of Fortune|
|Companion quests||ED-E My Love · For Auld Lang Syne · Heartache by the Number · I Could Make You Care · I Forgot to Remember to Forget · Nothin' But a Hound Dog · One For My Baby|
|Unmarked quests||A Bit of Slap and Tickle · Access Powers · All Fired Up! · Andy and Charlie · Arachnophobia · Arizona Scavenger · Barton the Fink · Bear Necessities · Big Winner (Atomic Wrangler, The Gomorrah, The Tops, Ultra-Luxe, Vikki & Vance) · Bounty Killer (I, II) · Brotherhood Bond (I, II) · Caching in at the Cove · Cajoling a Cudgel · Claws Mended · Claws Out · Dealing with Contreras · Defacing the Humble Stone · Democracy Inaction · Don't Poke at the Bear · Eddie's Emissary · Exhumin' Nature · Flogging a Dead Corpse · Friend of the Followers · Getting a Leg Up from Andy · Gland for Some Home Cooking · Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger · Hat's Entertainment · Help for Halford · Hidden Valley computer virus · Highway to the Danger Zone (I, II) · Honorary Rocketeer · I Love Bananas · Iron and Stealing · Keith's Caravan Charade · Laurifer Gladiator · Lenk's Bad Debts · Lily and Leo · Long-Term Care · Malleable Mini Boomer Minds · Maud's Muggers · Meeting an Equal · Missing a Few Missiles · Not Worth a Hill of Corn and Beans · Of Boomers and Education · Old School Ghoul · A Pair of Dead Desperados (I, II) · Papers, Please · Pistol Packing · Playing on the Old Joana · Poor Meat Never Makes Good Soup · Powder to the People · Power to the People · Proper Burial · Razzle Dazzle! · Reach for the Sky, Mister! · Rest and Resupply · Ringo's Caravan Rules · Rotface's Loose Lips · The Screams of Brahmin · Silus Treatment · Short-Term Treatment · Smooth-Talking Criminal · Strategic Nuclear Moose · Straus Calls · Strip Search · Saving (or Savaging) Sergeant Teddy · Stocking Up · Suits You, Sarah · A Team of Moronic Mercenaries · Team Spirit · The Thorn Mayhem · Thought for the Day · Tourist Traipse · Trudy's Radio Repair · A Trusted Aide · Useless Baubles or Fancy Trinkets? · We Must Stop Beating Like This · We Must Stop Meeting Like This (I, II, III, IV) · Wind-Brahmin Wrangler · You Gotta Break Out a Few Eggs · You Make Me Feel Like a Woman|
| Cut quests||Auto-Inject Quest · Bright and Shiny · Chip Provenance · Debug Topics · Jailhouse Rock · Meat of Champions (quest) · TempMan · The Thorn Mayhem · Underpass Water Purifier · Viva Las Vegas! · Welcome to Fabulous New Vegas|