|This is a lore summary, presenting intradiegetic or in-universe information about the subject. For game characteristics and similar data, consult the table on the right.|
Stimpak, or stimulation delivery package, is a type of hand-held medication used for boosting the body's own regenerative properties.
Background[edit | edit source]
A wonder of pre-War science, stimpaks are syringes filled with a mixture of healing agents and stimulants, allowing the user to boost their own body's natural regenerative functions. In most cases, it leads to an almost instantaneous regeneration of wounds. Stimpaks can also be used to treat physical conditions, such as a heart condition, but only temporarily. The syringe is typically equipped with a gauge for quickly identifying the state of the contents and can be used either in an intravenous or intramuscular fashion. The basic stimpak is designed for use on minor wounds, as the soup of healing medication is ineffective at treating major trauma.
To this end, more advanced variants of the stimpak were developed. The super stimpak is the most common variant, containing an additional vial of more drastic healing chems, dramatically increasing the healing effect. However, the healing effect will eventually cause minor trauma to the tissues healed due to the potency of the drug. More advanced variants, such as the ultra stimpak, offer even more powerful healing capabilities, at a proportionally higher eventual damage to the tissue.
Variants[edit | edit source]
Stimpak[edit | edit source]
A stimpak is an autoinjector loaded with a variety of healing medications and stimulants. By injecting the stimpak, one drastically increase one's own recuperative functions and gains lost hit points almost instantly.
Super stimpak[edit | edit source]
The advanced version of the stimpak boasts stronger healing drugs, delivered both via the syringe and a tributary ampule, both connected to a leather strap allowing to securely affix the contraption to the injection area. The analogue gauge displaying information is on top of the ampule. The powerful nature of the drugs used means that the delayed shock deals a minor amount of damage to the user after some time. It is a fairly rare item in the wasteland, usually only manufactured by high tech settlements like Vault City.
Auto-inject stimpak[edit | edit source]
The auto-inject stimpak is a modified stimpak which monitors vital signs, allowing for automatic and timely emergency treatment. Its gauges is a vacuum fluorescent display.
Auto-inject super stimpak[edit | edit source]
The advanced version of the auto-inject stimpak boasts stronger healing drugs, delivered both via the syringe and a tributary ampule, both connected to a leather strap allowing to securely affix the contraption to the injection area. This modified super stimpak monitors vital signs, allowing for automatic and timely emergency treatment. Its gauges is a vacuum fluorescent display. The powerful nature of the drugs used means that the delayed shock deals a minor amount of damage to the user after some time.
Health dispenser[edit | edit source]
Health dispensers are stationary health stations found in the Anchorage Reclamation simulation, which might indicate that they were also used during the actual Anchorage Reclamation itself as well. Although immobile, they are reusable and more powerful than regular stimpaks, as they restore your health to full no matter how low it is.
Ultra stimpak[edit | edit source]
The ultra stimpak is an advanced version of super stimpak and a highly powerful healing chem, providing immediate healing of major wounds and boosting the body's regenerative functions over time. Due to the very powerful nature of the chemicals used, ultra stimpaks will cause damage after a period of time.
The ultra stimpak is made up of two regular stimpaks, with one stimpak connected to a wrist belt for immediate injection, and one connected to a breathing mask, allowing for the healing drug to be administrated as gas.
Super Duper stimpak[edit | edit source]
Expired stimpak[edit | edit source]
Homemade stimpak[edit | edit source]
A homemade version of the stimpak made after the Great War. Such stimpaks reduce the user's perception temporarily, similarly to the more primitive healing powder.
- Vault Dweller's Survival Guide p.5-19: "A stimpak (short for Stimulation Delivery Package) contains many healing chems. A soup of healing medication, if you will. By injecting the Stimpak, you drastically increase your own recuperative functions and restore lost hit points almost instantly."
- Fallout Official Survival Guide p.124: "Stimpak: The stimpak is an autoinjector loaded with a variety of healing medications and stimulants. Injecting yourself or another character will increase your natural healing ability and give you an immediate Hit Point boost."
- The Lone Wanderer: "Here, take some Stimpaks. That should get him through."
Madison Li: "Yes, this looks to be enough. He'll need medical attention once we've reached the Citadel, but this will get him there. Thank you. Give me a moment, and we can continue."
(Madison Li's dialogue)
- Vault Dweller's Survival Guide p.5-19: "The Super Stimpak contains more drastic chems, increasing the healing effect at the cost of eventual damage to the very tissue it heals! A larger cousin to the Stimpak, the Super Stim will heal more damage. It will, however, cause a small amount of hit point loss after a period of time. You should be aware of this function, and prepare for it. But nothing works like a Super Stim when time is short, and danger grave."
- Ultra stimpak
- Fallout Official Survival Guide p.124: "Super Stimpak: Same as the basic stimpak, but with more and stronger drugs. It boosts your character's Hit Points immediately. Too much is bad for you, however. Each injection causes a Hit Point loss after a short period of time, reflecting damage to the character's tissues and to his or her system."