Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
Stop the Enclave
Cleanup (page layout guidelines)
To meet The Vault's quality standards, this article or section may require cleanup. Please help by improving the article.
Stop the Enclave
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
After entering the oil rig, you must first walk through the southern part to the stairs. You must have advanced power armor, or else the Enclave soldiers will attack you on sight. Even with advanced power armor the presence of any companions will cause the soldiers to attack you. You may simply let them wait at another location to avoid alerting the guards. After walking around the stairs, you will see people in cells. Talk to them, and you will find there are people from your tribe, and people from Vault 13. Speak with your Village Elder, you will learn you must melt down the facilities reactor.
Now you must go down the nearby stairs, and have to solve the electric floor puzzle. Soon after passing the puzzle, you will come face to face with Dick Richardson. Who will offer amazing amounts of historical and important information to you, mostly as a stalling tactic. You are allowed to kill him, and this is the only way to obtain the Presidential Keycard.
The following options are available:
- Use many super stimpaks on him, and then use the Pipboy's wait function for the after effects to kill him. (Enclave not alerted)
- By reverse pickpocketing him with an active explosive and leave to another section, he will either die or be weakened (Enclave not alerted)
- Just kill him (Enclave alerted)
- Sneak and shoot him, if he receives a critical hit, he will die (Enclave sometimes alerted, sometimes not)
When you are done, you can go behind his office, and find stairs in the back. Walk down, and keep walking, until you find a reactor. It is recommended to have a plastic explosive. If you have one, you can place it near the reactor. If you do not have one, you may have to overload the reactor manually. When you are done, retrace your steps to the main entrance. Here, you will face Frank Horrigan.
There is an alternate process through Speech/Charisma. Though you can perform the process above, if you have a high enough Charisma, and possibly Strength, you can speak directly to Tom Murray (the head of the Atomic Energy Commission of the Enclave) to overload the reactor by taking the stairs down the corridor to the left of Dick Richardson's room.
Tom Murray is wearing a lab coat, and can be found in the only room with red carpet on that level. Tell him that you need to shut down the atomic reactor, and if he doesn't tell you how to do so, you are going to shut him down permanently. At this he will tell you that shutting the atomic reactor down too fast will cause a meltdown. Tell him that if he doesn't do it, you're going to "gut him like a fish". At this, Tom will agree to do it out of fear for his life, next responded with you do not care, and to do it anyway.
After you've said this, tell him he did the right thing, and that he better stay in his room and keep quiet. Once this is done, you have 10 minutes to exit this level to the previous level, and exit out the stairwell directly down the corridor from Dick Richardson's room, make a right, then make a left to the stairwell (from the Chosen One's point of view). Once you are out, make your way to the room with the large Enclave engraving on the ground, now you will face Frank Horrigan.
The fight is extremely difficult unless you have the Presidential keycard, which allows you to use the turrets to attack Horrigan (they will deal 15-40 damage). When he falls, you can talk to him or kill him yourself. Then escape from the Oil Rig.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- After completing this quest, there are pictures that represent the fate of the dwellers from cities. Depending on Chosen One's actions, different endings appear.
- If you travel to New Reno, speak to Father Tully. He will grant you a book which, when read, gives you 10000 xp. This can be made unlimited times, as it doesn't disappear when you read it.
- New Reno and Vault City residents will be the only ones who heard about the player's actions and will praise the Chosen One (the speeches are different).