Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
Background[edit | edit source]
Sunny Smiles is a talented trapper and survivalist, living in Goodsprings. She primarily hunts geckos around the town, subsisting on their meat and selling the hides to traders or Chet. Her talent with a rifle is very useful to the people living in the sleepy settlement, as she helps keep it clear of radscorpions and coyotes, which always seem to find a way to get into the town and try to partake in the town's water supply. It's no small problem: The wildlife tends to get agitated whenever humans come near and attack them, injuring or even killing the townsfolk. She also defends the town from threats when the need arises.
Interactions with the player character[edit | edit source]
Interactions overview[edit | edit source]
|This character is a temporary party member.|
|This character starts quests.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
Quests[edit | edit source]
- Back in the Saddle, By a Campfire on the Trail: Sunny Smiles gives the player a varmint rifle and walks them through the basics of surviving in the Mojave Wasteland.
- Ghost Town Gunfight: She can help the Courier defeat the Powder Gangers and defend Goodsprings.
- Run Goodsprings Run: If siding with the Powder Gangers, Sunny will need to be killed.
Other interactions[edit | edit source]
- If Cheyenne is killed at any point, Sunny will show remorse in dialogue, but it does not impact the completion of any quests in the game. However, if Sunny is killed, Ghost Town Gunfight cannot be completed.
- If asked about work, Sunny will give the player some bobby pins and a copy of Locksmith's Reader, directing them to the abandoned safe in Goodsprings schoolhouse.
Inventory[edit | edit source]
Drops on death
Notable quotes[edit | edit source]
- "Cheyenne, stay. Don't worry, she won't bite unless I tell her to."
- "Well, that's a start. But I don't reckon you came to me to learn to fight sarsaparilla bottles. Tell you what. I gotta go chase geckos away from our water supply anyway. Darn critters are attracted to it. Why don't you come along?"
- "Hear that up on the ridge behind me there? We got some geckos to clear out. Bunch of little monsters is what they are. Seems like Doc Mitchell treats more gecko bites than anything else. Let's see if we can get a little closer. If we move quietly, we can get the jump on 'em. More likely to hit something vital that way."
- "Let me see what you got. Yeah, these'll do just fine. Just fine. All right now. We're gonna be making something folks on the trail call Healing Powder. Go on over to that campfire now. Give it a try."
- "Hey, that's not bad! See? All it takes to make a recipe is the right ingredients and the right know-how. Sometimes it won't be a campfire you need. Might need to do some work on your guns and ammo, maybe. Important thing to get is it's all the same idea. You just need to find the right place to set up shop. Workbench or... a reloading bench, whatever. Well, I hope that's enough to get you started. I'm heading back now. Hope I didn't miss anything good on the jukebox. Cheyenne would never forgive me. Hey, do me a favor. Trudy - she's the bartender up at the Prospector, kind of the town mom - she likes to meet newcomers. She'd be cross with me if I didn't ask you to poke your head in and say hi."
- "Southeast of here is Primm - can't miss it, since it has this giant old rollercoaster right in the middle of town. The NCR's got an outpost there. If you follow the road north, you'll eventually hit Sloan and Quarry Junction. They mine rocks or something, but I heard they got troubles lately. I wouldn't head that direction if I were you, though. Got critters up there that don't take kindly to getting shot."
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- Sunny Smiles is one of the first characters the player meets, and upon accepting the Back in the Saddle quest is prompted to exterminate the geckos around Goodsprings. This may be a homage to Fallout 2, as one of the early quests involves the Chosen One needing to rescue Smiley, the Klamath gecko trapper.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- During the tutorial, it is possible that skipping through her dialogue options will skip ahead in the quest, completing it early and missing some of the rewards.
- Hidden Valley bunkers. To finish the quest, you must go all the way to the bunkers and talk to her. This will result in her walking back to Goodsprings. Using the wait command can speed up her travel. In the start of the tutorial quest, Sunny asks you to go out the back door of the saloon. Sometimes, if you instead go into the supply store and come back out, Sunny will be gone. Checking the map reveals that she has been magically transported to the
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Sunny Smiles appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
- The Courier: "What do you do around here?"
Sunny Smiles: "I hunt geckos, mostly. The meat's pretty good and I can always find a buyer for the hides. I also help keep the town clear of radscorpions and coyotes. Not many people live in Goodsprings, so wildlife is always creeping in."
(Sunny Smiles' dialogue)