Join The Fan Lab, a private Fandom research community for users in the US and UK where you will be asked to share your opinions on all things gaming and entertainment! Click here to see if you qualify
The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
A template in this article or section is missing some data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
This article has missing audio files. You can help The Vault by uploading them.
Why don't you take a holodisc picture? It'll last longer.”— Sydney, Fallout 3
Sydney is an independent mercenary who specializes in obtaining relics. She prefers going for the most dangerous scores (like the Declaration of Independence) and takes risks. She is beautiful, but finds men approaching her irritating. She is a loner. She prefers not speaking about her dark past. When she was very young, her mother was raped and killed by Raiders. She spent years perfecting her combat skills and never welshes on a deal.
Sydney was orphaned when her father was killed after a deal gone bad at the Statesman Hotel. She had to wander the wasteland alone, but she was able to handle herself as her father had taught her how to handle and maintain and modify guns at an early age. Sydney eventually became a relic hunter when she stumbled upon a deceased relic-hunter and his information to the Constitution of the United States. After she recovered it, she sold it to Abraham Washington. Afterward she took the job to acquire the Declaration of Independence.
Eventually she becomes a weapons dealer out of Underworld.
Interactions with the player character
|This character is a temporary party member.|
|This character is a merchant.||Sells: weapons, ammunition*|
|This character starts quests.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
*If she finishes the quest alive and makes it to Underworld.
- Stealing Independence: Sydney is encountered in the first room of the National Archives. She will become a companion until the quest is completed.
Effects of player actions
- Bragging Rights: If the Lone Wanderer refuses to team up with Sydney in the National Archives, she and her friend Emaline will attack the Lone Wanderer in a random encounter.
- A note from Little Moonbeam's father is a note Sydney's father left her when he was dying in the Statesman Hotel. If the Lone Wanderer gives it to her after she tells her story, she will give the Lone Wanderer Sydney's 10mm "Ultra" SMG.(This process can be repeated as many times as one likes. Simply re-selecting the conversation option about Sydney's father gives the Lone Wanderer access to an infinite supply of Sydney's 10mm "Ultra" SMGs.)
- If Sydney remains alive at the end of the quest, she will travel from Rivet City to the Ninth Circle in Underworld and set up shop as a vendor, stating that she likes to hang out at Underworld because the ghouls do not constantly hit on her.
|Sydney's 10mm "Ultra" SMG|
|2x frag grenades|
Drops on death
- If the Lone Wanderer enters combat with the residents of Underworld while Sydney is a vendor there, she will fight on the Lone Wanderer's side.
- She can be very helpful in exploring the ruins of D.C. at lower levels, especially when used in conjunction with other companions such as Dogmeat and Charon due to their lack of a karma requirement. However, it is advisable to carry a sizable supply of stimpaks to keep her healed through dialogue, and to watch her health carefully, as unlike a permanent companion she does not automatically regenerate health.
- It is possible to pickpocket and reverse pickpocket Sydney for items, after the super mutant attack, but before speaking to her. However, once the Lone Wanderer recruits her as a companion, pickpocketing, or reverse pickpocketing her is not possible until Stealing Independence is concluded with Sydney surviving. Also, if the Lone Wanderer decides to give her a different weapon other than Sydney's 10mm "Ultra" SMG, she will use up any ammunition the Lone Wanderer gives her.
- It is possible to use Sydney to safely kill Crowley during You Gotta Shoot 'Em in the Head quest. If you tell Crowley you are keeping the keys, he will attack you, but everyone else won't turn hostile until you return fire. If Sydney is around, she will easily kill Crowley without you having to fight everyone else in the underworld. For this to work properly, it is advised to leave your companions elsewhere as they will attack Crowley as soon as he turns hostile.
- "Why don't you take a holodisk picture? It'll last longer."
- "Keep your eyes on the mission, and off my ass, please."
- "Eyes up here please."
- "After he loaded me up with caps, I got piss drunk, got laid and was happy for the first time in a while."
Sydney appears only in Fallout 3.
Behind the scenes
Sydney is a reference to the character Sydney Fox from the TV show Relic hunter.
- There is an exploit that makes it possible to receive an unlimited supply of Sydney's 10mm "Ultra" SMG in perfect condition and 10mm ammunition. It can be found under the Sydney's 10mm "Ultra" SMG article.
- You can't pickpocket Sydney after recruiting her - neither during the quest nor after completing it. You just get the talk option when crouching.
- When she walks into the Museum of History she sometimes gets stuck on the stand where the dinosaur skeleton is or on a bench in the same room.
- Sydney can get stuck on her way from Rivet City to Underworld. Usually by a train in the metro tunnel she travels through to get to the Mall. She can be unstuck by pushing into her and talking to her and backing away to reset her walk path. It's a little tricky and may take a few tries but eventually will work.
- When she's in the bar in Underworld, she can sometimes die and will be slumped over the floor. It is unknown what causes this.
- Sydney can get stuck when exiting Oasis. Usually close to the door. If you go back towards the gazebo and fast travel out of Oasis while near the gazebo she will arrive with you, however if you fast travel and are near the Oasis door she will still be stuck in Oasis.
- Sydney may disappear during the quest.
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition p.99: "Sydney
Sydney is an independent mercenary who specializes in obtaining relics. She prefers going for the most dangerous scores (like the Declaration of Independence) and takes risks. She is beautiful, but finds men approaching her irritating. She is a loner. She prefers not speaking about her dark past. When she was very young, her mother was raped and killed by Raiders. She spent years perfecting her combat skills and never welshes on a deal."
(Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition Wasteland Census)