This talk page is only for discussing improvements to the page "Albert Cole".
It is not the place for general discussion or sharing stories about the topic of this article. Please use the forums for these purposes.
Um...how has it been "all but confirmed"? The Vault Dweller could be anyone, really, including the other two pre-made characters. Merging would be silly, IMO. BILLYOCEAN 00:24, June 17, 2011 (UTC)
- NM. BILLYOCEAN 00:25, June 17, 2011 (UTC)
- The evidence for them being the same is strong:
- The Vault Dweller is canonically male, so Natalia is out straight away.
- The Vault Dweller's face bears a resemblance to Cole's.
- Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky, in their Arcanum parody of Fallout, have a protagonist named Albert.
- The Vault Dweller's known personality traits (from his memoirs) are not in line with those of Max Stone. (just out of interest: would it have even been possible for the canon outcomes of Fallout to be available assuming Max Stone remains basically unchanged throughout the game, such as some outcomes only being available with high intelligence, speech etc. and using a similar method might it be possible to discern the Chosen One's identity?)
- Whereas there doesn't seem to be any evidence supporting Max Stone, the only alternative, as the identity of the Vault Dweller. Bear in mind however that this is only a proposal, and I'm more than happy for the template to be removed as long as it is discussed first and rejected by the community. --Lugiatm (talk · contribs) 00:39, June 17, 2011 (UTC)
- The evidence for them being the same is strong:
- Well, I didn't remove the template, but I doubt you could ever get the community to agree on a merge. Also, I don't think any of that evidence is really convincing that the VD is Cole. I don't think that removing Natalia or Stone confirms Albert is the VD. It could be anyone, the freedom is up to the player. BILLYOCEAN 00:42, June 17, 2011 (UTC)
- The Vault Dweller could, I suppose, be anyone in theory, but the only other two possibilities we have been presented with are Max and Natalia, both of which can be discounted. Billy, you say that the freedom is up to the player but for all the games except the railroad that is Fallout 3, a canon outcome (and thus a canon version of the player character) has been decided upon post-release. That is what the discussion is attempting to determine - the canon identity of the Vault Dweller.
- So far we have strong evidence in favour of it being Albert Cole, and none in favour of any other character. So let's try phrasing the question this way: does anybody actually believe that it may not be Albert Cole, or are you simply worried that someone else might not? --Lugiatm (talk · contribs) 01:56, June 17, 2011 (UTC)
- The question in my mind is not whether the Vault Dweller is or isn't Albert Cole, but why anyone would ever think he is ,canonically, Albert Cole. The canon identity of the VD is very sketchy at best, if you look at his memoirs. Why say, especially for the purposes of the Vault, the VD is Albert Cole when every time anyone plays Fallout, the Vault Dweller is a different character with different abilities, karma, equipment, personality, etc. That is the entire reason the memoirs are sketchy, to accommodate as many of the possibilities as possible. The only reason any canon details about the VD exist at all is because 1 - there are certain things that have to be done to beat the game, ie defeat the Master, and 2 - because certain things had to be set down as canon for the Fallout 2 plot to be possible,ie shady sands is saved and morphs into the NCR. Saying the Vault Dweller is Albert Cole goes against the freedom of gameplay and choices available in Fallout and against the Vaults goal to document and archive all the details of the Fallout universe possible, like the fact that when you play the Vault Dweller, you play that character any way you want. How will it look when I play Fallout as an ignorant brute, killing children with a ripper and letting no one survive, and I come to the Vault and see that no, the VD is actually this smooth talker Albert Cole. Also, is it actually confirmed canon that the Vault Dweller is a man? Aren't the memoirs vague about the gender? BILLYOCEAN 04:14, June 17, 2011 (UTC)
Lugia you're working on the assumption that is has to be one of the pre-made characters. This isn't the case at all, they serve only as blue prints for different character types, the Vault Dweller is really meant to be a versatile character - we aren't given enough proof to determine anything. We cannot base this entire merge on speculation period, and the move would be a very controversial one within the Fallout community. -- 05:32, June 17, 2011 (UTC)
- And by the way nothing in the memoirs suggests the VD is male. Regarding Pat, you've heard of the name Patrick haven't you? It is androgynous for a reason. As for the picture of VD it still isn't enough to assume he's Albert Cole, and for every other reason I've stated. -- 05:40, June 17, 2011 (UTC)
- The Vault Dweller is canonically male, because FO2 made him so. Albert Cole is not the canon Vault Dweller. There is nothing definitive to say so. The articles need to stay separate. It is interesting enough to note the facial similarities, etc., which is already done in the appropriate places. I'm removing the tag.--Gothemasticator 13:18, June 17, 2011 (UTC)
Name Reference[edit source]
- No, it won't be. ABAHD has been cited as an influence by the devs. http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/fallout/images/0/08/Personal_Sig_Image.gif Tagaziel (call!) 08:22, July 13, 2011 (UTC)