We've Moved! Just as Gamepedia has joined forces with Fandom, this wiki had joined forces with our Fandom equivalent. The wiki has been archived and we ask that readers and editors move to the now combined wiki on Fandom. Click to go to the new wiki.

Talk:Battle rifle (GRA)

From The Vault - Fallout Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
This talk page is only for discussing improvements to the page "Battle rifle (GRA)".
It is not the place for general discussion or sharing stories about the topic of this article. Please use the forums for these purposes.



It's ingame name is actually "Battle Rifle (GRA)" should this be reflected by the page name or just have it without "(GRA)"? IPodged 21:44, September 27, 2011 (UTC)

GRA it's just for show that it's a Gun Runners' Arsenal weapon, it's not a part of the weapon name. Itachou [~talk~] 15:23, September 29, 2011 (UTC)

am I the only one who looks at this gun and sees an M1 garand? --Katikar 19:43, September 29, 2011 (UTC)

Look at "Behind the scenes" on This Machine's wiki page - it is inspired by the M1 Garand but not an exact copy of it - IPodged 00:21, September 30, 2011 (UTC)

Here is a link to the US Army tech manual for the M1. [1] Please not e section II (description). To whit: "General. The rifles M1,...are clip-fed, gas-operated, air-cooled semi-automatic shoulder weapons." While this is not an exact M1 copy (per JES) most of this general weapon description still applies to the in-game weapon. This is the way general descriptions of military weapons are worded, and unless there's some reason why it shouldn't be done, wiki entries under the heading of "specification" should start off worded this way. Right now each weapon's descriptions are styled differently, sometimes in a "specifications" heading, sometimes in the "characteristics" heading. I'd be more than happy to change the articles for consistency and clarity using the above accepted method of description, starting with this weapon.--The Gunny 23:41, November 2, 2011 (UTC)

As noted in the above referenced US Army field manual, this type of weapon is "clip-fed." This is not an instance where the use of the word "clip" is a poor substitute for "magazine." This weapon uses an en-bloc clip, holding 8 rounds, that is inserted into the fixed magazine inside the receiver of the weapon and locked in place by a spring latch. This "clip" stays inside the weapon, holding the cartridges in place as the magazine follower spring pushes them up so the bolt can strip and feed them into the chamber. Once the last cartridge is fired from the weapon, the bolt locks back on a catch and the magazine latch is pressed on by the magazine follower allowing the "clip" to release and be ejected from the magazine well. This happens with an audible "ping" noise, distinctive to this weapon, as the en-bloc clip is ejected and flys out of the top of the receiver. If there was no en-bloc clip, there would be no "ping". Chargers, or charging strips, are metal or plastic strips that hold a number of cartridges by the rim. These are used to feed just about any fixed magazine weapon, as well as feed detatchable magazines. One fills a fixed internal magazine from a charging strip by aligning the charging strip with the recess in the top of the receiver and pushing the cartridges off of the strip into the magazine. In most weapons the charging strip is then discarded, as it does not get inserted into the weapon. While cartridges for this weapon may come in chargers, you must first load them into the en-bloc clips before loading them into the weapon. While this weapon is "top-load" as are most fixed internal magazine weapons, the proper term for this exact weapon is "clip-fed", as you can clearly see by the official US Army documentation. I will change this back to clip fed unless someone can make a reasonable argument that this is the improper term.--The Gunny 19:56, November 3, 2011 (UTC)
By using the argument that we should use the terminology out of a US army field manual for "not this gun" but something similar I honestly think makes no common sense. As an avid shooter, a part-time gunsmith and an M1 Garand owner, they are commonly called chargers. "Clips" are generally referred to as removable magazines that do not fill a fixed magazine. I'll change it to a clip against my better judgement, but we need to remember that arguing from a real world perspective about a fictional item is usually avoided. Cherrio!--Kingclyde 23:13, November 3, 2011 (UTC)

Understood about the real world argument. In this case it's just that I feel it's valid, as the distincitve "ping" the clip makes, as you know as a Garand owner, only comes from this type of feed system. Even Mannlicher and Carcano en-bloc clips don't do this. I now realize that it's probably a case of regoinal conventions, judging by your signoff. Where you live they may well be called chargers, and here we call them en-bloc clips. Here's the link to the wikipedia page detailing the US nomemclature.wikipedia:M1_Garand#Design_details. I appreciate your consideration of this, and I will remember in the future that folks from different regions may use different words for things.--The Gunny 23:36, November 3, 2011 (UTC)

I'm Native American from California. I just use Cheerio as a sign off sometime to confuse people ;).--Kingclyde 23:49, November 3, 2011 (UTC)

The Battle Rifle (GRA) and This Machine are very similar to the M1 Garands modified by the US Navy to cal. 7.62 Nato. I call them en-bloc clips as well, just as John Garand did.Dominicfortune00 00:19, November 4, 2011 (UTC)