Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
This talk page is only for discussing improvements to the page "Blood Ties".
It is not the place for general discussion or sharing stories about the topic of this article. Please use the forums for these purposes.
I can confirm the bug that is listed on the mainpage for v.1.00 - Arefu becomes hostile if you use violence to free Ian.
Paheej 06:01, 3 November 2008 (UTC)
This quest is buggy in general. If you don't go to Megaton to pick up this quest (or worse, blow it up), then Lucy is a non-existent person. I went the evil route with my second character and did so, so when I stumbled across Arefu and got the Blood Ties quest and found the entrance, I was intrigued. After all, I had the Cannibal perk (it's how I got in for free). The first person I talk to inside was the woman who sleeps with the single men, and since I also had the Lady Killer perk, she gave me the info to see Ian. No one ever said to talk to Vance. Either way I go straight to Ian and there are even dialogue options for Lucy (at this point I had no idea who Lucy was). I did convince him to stay, however. Then I talked to Vance, who said I should learn the code or something to that affect through a terminal, which I did, and was sympathetic to his cause, but he never offered me the ways as a Hemophiliac. Not to mention that when you get back to Arefu and tell the guard there and lie that he's living with his sister and the Family had been taken care of that you still, some how, receive good karma.
Anyways, yeah. Short oversight on Bethesda's part to include Lucy speech options even after you blow up Megaton and never get a letter from her. 22.214.171.124 05:34, 9 November 2008 (UTC)
When I did this earlier, I was sent right to the Meresti Trainyard (after finding the bodies), and got in for free by telling the guard that I had a letter from Lucy. No speech, Cannibal or caps required. It may be worth noting that my Medicine skill was rather high, and my character performed an autopsy which directed me to Meresti.
The bug[edit source]
So how can I restart this quest? I have no saves prior to the point where I got entry in the family's base with lockpicking and had to kill them all as a result, now all the inhabitants of Arefu are hostile. Is there now way? Horrible bug.--126.96.36.199 22:50, 10 November 2008 (UTC)
- Perhaps the ResetQuest console command? I don't know offhand if you need to put in any other parameters or simply select the quest and type in the command. I might try botching a quest later to test. Revelation-23 22:57, 10 November 2008 (UTC)
- You need a quest id to use that command. I read reports that even with a quest id nothing happens. As for the bug, there is a way around it. The Arefu inhabitants are hostile ONLY if you didn't kill all the Family members. If every last one if them (including the guard at the entrance) are dead then Arefu's inhabitants will treat you as a hero and the quest will be passed.--188.8.131.52 17:46, 13 November 2008 (UTC)
Like a lot of other quests, you can bypass the negative karma for killing the Family by getting them to attack first. If you goad Vance enough, he'll talk about drinking your blood - then there's another option with something along the lines of "over my dead body, psycho", which will make him spout some creepy cosplayer vampire shit and aggro the whole family. Everything else in the quest proceeds as if you'd killed Vance normally, but without the karma loss. I've edited this into the article.
- Stealthy Sandman kills generally allow you to kill without turning the whole faction against you. Might be worth a try.
Orme 13:28, 11 December 2008 (UTC)
- I have stealth killed the a Family member before and they still all aggroed. I am as of yet unsure about Sandman.Rogue scholar 02:27, 6 January 2009 (UTC)
- I just found a way to work-around the bug listed in the article. Edited it accordingly.Lachanadan 22:11 08 December 2008. (GMT+2)
- Someone changed the part of firing squad members to making them wait. However I highly suspect that the player should come back again to take their followers after talking to Ewan King, and all in all just have to find some way to get past Robert "while" the previusly waiting companions following the player, or ultimately again firing the companions. (Unless they have no objection to wacking Robert after the quest is done. However Robert is still a member of the Arefu group and all Arefu will turn hostile after the event.) Please take a look at it. Lachanadan 14:52 11 December 2008. (GMT+2)
On my high karma playthrough, the ghoul making the superjet still asked me to find him sugarbombs - so I removed that note (if your karma isn't too high).
Two Medicine choices[edit source]
After telling Ian to stay with the Family, I went to Vance to deal with the issue of Arefu. I received the speech check, Intelligence, and Two Medicins ones which ultimately said the same thing. 1. [Medicine] Vampires can drink any kind of human blood... even from bloodpacks. 2. [Medicine] I believe that blood preserved in bloodpacks could provide what you need. Anyone want to elaborate on why they come like this? Realek 02:04, 11 January 2009 (UTC)
Possible bug?[edit source]
Okay, I'm trying to do this quest without using any stats or skills, or perks. Basically, I'm trying to get Vance to give me the password by telling him what they are. I've asked all members of the Family to help me understand their laws, and I read all the files in the terminal (at least the terminal that he gave me the password for). But it will only let me tell him that they're vampires, or something similiar. He tells me that I disappoint him, and doesn't give me the code. Am I missing something, or is this a bug specific to the PC version?
How long?[edit source]
I talked to girl in Megaton and that was about 3 days ago in the game. How much longer do I have to complete the quest before everyone turns hostel?
- They won't go hostile unless you first go to Arefu to kick off the next step in the quest, and then to the Meresti Station to find the family. However, you also have the option of paying to get in without doing all of that quest stuff. Really, you have unlimited time, just don't steal, loot, or kill any of the family and their belongings and you'll be fine. --Surr3al 05:41, 10 April 2009 (UTC)
I'm stuck on location of the family[edit source]
Do I really need to walk from Arefu to the location?Ellerkerm36 01:55, 13 May 2009 (UTC)
Yes, of course, unless you want to use the console to teleport yourself. It's not even very far.--Tonicboy 03:04, 13 May 2009 (UTC)
- Like the article says though, you don't have to go overground. There are only a few Mirelurks in the underground tunnel and they aren't very difficult with proper weaponry. --184.108.40.206 20:50, 5 June 2009 (UTC)
- The Mirelurks aren't leveled. I just played through at level 17, and they were normal mirelurks, not hunters or kings. Either I was lucky, or they simply don't level.
Three Dog Report Glitch?[edit source]
I completed the quest but decided not to convince Ian to go back to Arefu (i didn't even try the speech check), but now when three dog reports on the events, he gets to the part about shotgun diplomacy and then cuts back to a random introduction, followed by introduction after introduction for a while, and eventually moves on another story. Anyone else get something like this/know a fix? (xbox 360)
-I found the radio glitchy sometimes. It's probably just a general radio glitch, and not directly related to this particular quest. RolandWolfheart 19:48, October 2, 2010 (UTC)
Reviving dead NPCs[edit source]
Im trying to revive the NPCs at Arefu because last time i tried to do the quest they were hostile towards me and i killed them. Everything good so far until i have to revive the dead bodies of the West. I tried with "prid 384ae, disable, enable, kill, revive and then moveto player" but the bodies dont appear so i cant go on with the quest. Any suggestions?
PD: By the way, before doing this quest i strongly suggest setting Evan King as an essential character, because of the enemies that spawn in Arefu. (Also, setting the habitants of arefu as essential characters is a good idea)
every one is hostile[edit source]
so i got the quest from the girl in megaton and then i went to arefu, i talked to the guy at the entrance go inside, examine the bodies (i was a low level character so it just said about bites and lacerations) then i go outside, and the entire town is hostile, and a message appears telling me i failed the quest. (360)
--220.127.116.11 19:00, 24 August 2009 (UTC)
The exact amount of karma for brokering the deal is +300, which is infuriating if you're trying to maintain evil or neutral karma. 18.104.22.168 00:33, March 28, 2010 (UTC)