Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
Talk:Chinese stealth armor (Fallout: New Vegas)
This talk page is only for discussing improvements to the page "Chinese stealth armor (Fallout: New Vegas)".
It is not the place for general discussion or sharing stories about the topic of this article. Please use the forums for these purposes.
- 1 Bug with Headware?
- 2 Second level?
- 3 Worse than Recon Armor?
- 4 What's the point?
- 5 Slave hood?
- 6 Makes Stealth Boys last longer?
- 7 Makes you run faster?
- 8 Technical details on headwear bug - too long for the article, copy/pasted here
- 9 What's "stealthy" about this "stealth" armor?
- 10 Pictures?
- 11 Stolen - Not Stolen?
- 12 Light touch + chinese stealth armor
- 13 possible glitch
- 14 Possibly proving the stealth field isn't over powered
- 15 Repairs
- 16 Overlooking the Obvious
- 17 everyone read this!!!
- 18 Glitch
- 19 Arguments
- 20 Location
- 21 Headware
Bug with Headware?[edit source]
Does it have the bug, the one where you can wear two and more pieces of headwear at once? Nukey (talk) 16:55, October 21, 2010 (UTC) Doubt it, i hope so though --GreaseBall 17:05, October 21, 2010 (UTC)
Second level?[edit source]
Worse than Recon Armor?[edit source]
It's pretty much useless, I'm not even going to bother getting it. --ToUniek 23:08, October 30, 2010 (UTC)
Recon Armor is medium armor while the stealth suit is light armor, so when sneaking you have a better chance of staying hidden.--184.108.40.206 04:20, November 5, 2010 (UTC)
What's the point?[edit source]
What is the point of these armors? When i found them I was like !!! there are two!!!! so I gave one to boone but they don't have stealth fields, they are awful, recon armor is actually better! I reccomend not getting these, their awful without the stealth field, what was Obsidian thinking! Bio Enhancment 411 13:57, October 24, 2010 (UTC)
- They were probably thinking about how game-breaking the Anchorage version was. With sufficient Sneak skill, having a permanent stealth field made the game much, much too easy. RolandWolfheart 19:24, October 25, 2010 (UTC)
fallout 3 was easy no matter what you did, max difficulty and only thing that made me flinch was overlords, and invisibility isn't overpowered, its just guaranteeing you 1 good sneak attack then you would get mobbed, at least in fallout 3, and have no defense thus taking massive damage, they should have just made this armor have a dt of 0, stealth field, and remove silent running from the game, no more op. Toolazytomakeaaccount 10:06, October 26, 2010 (UTC)
- There is too easy and then there is nothing fights back and you kill them all in one hit easy Namad 07:17, October 27, 2010 (UTC)
- No, with a high enough sneak skill and the stealth field, you never even get mobbed. Any sort of never-ending stealth field effect is completely overpowered, period.
- Sealth suit + perforator is effectively god mod if you have a high enough sneak skill. Yes, enemies are cautious after the first shot, but they never figure out where you are.
Well, apparently the two suits used the Hoover Dam Sabotage attempt were prototypes and not the refined version you find in Operation Anchorage. So either the stealth field was not used on the suits or they used an inferior power source for the stealth field and it ran out in the 200 years it was in the dam. This is all just speculation of course, maybe it was just for game balance. BillyH666 22:34, October 30, 2010 (UTC) Or maby obidisan thought it would be funny to make people hope that they could get the best armor ever but made it crappy as a practical joke--Epic cookies 21:10, November 13, 2010 (UTC)
Or maybe you are all just acting like immature children and should realize you will enjoy the game much more if it is a challenge. (How do I tag?)
Honestly, invisiblity wasen't overpowere in Fallout 3, FO3 was just rediculously easy. Fighting one deathclaw in New Vegas is about the equivilance of fighting 3 in FO3. Even still, in NV, they still largely travell in packs. Killing one easily isen't really overpowered, as the rest will pile you. Besides, if you stand an effective distance away in Sneak Mode with 100 sneak and any scoped weapon with a long-distance scope and you can pick off 4 Deaf Deathclaws without getting more than "Caution". PLUS, You can just stand on a really big rock, or snipe whilst on a cliff, and they can't reach you even if they see you. So we can take game balance off the table, because if that was the goal of no stealth/vinisibility fields, it failed, to be honest. Troy242621 02:16, December 26, 2010 (UTC)
Slave hood?[edit source]
It mentions in the article taht one can look like a quarian if you are to wear the suit with a rebreather and a slave hood. What the hell is a slave hood? I didn't see anything simillar in the list of armor and clothing, except for Veronica's hood, which I'm not even sure is obtainable. --MoronicCinamun 01:36, November 1, 2010 (UTC)
Ok, I think I may have found it. Could it be refering to the slave scarf (found on the slave rags page)? There is no picture of it in the article. --MoronicCinamun 01:39, November 1, 2010 (UTC)
Yup it's hilarious, i gave veronica the stealth armour and she looks like tali from mass effect lol. I also took a photo
I think I saw a slave hood in Caesar's Camp, but I'm not sure because I didn't take it off the body of the slave.
Also, Veronica looks pretty cool in reinforced metal armor with the Great Khans helmet with horns (found on top of a grave in Bitter Springs). (Check her out in Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. She's absolutely precious.)
HelenaHanbazkt 00:33, April 19, 2011 (UTC)HelenaHanbazkt
Makes Stealth Boys last longer?[edit source]
The article makes this claim, but is it actually true?
As far as I can see, it's erroneous.
Looking at the game files, there's nothing to indicate the armor or helmet has any effect on Stealth Boys whatsoever. The armor's object effect is identical to the Recon Armor (the Chinese Stealth armor directly borrows its object effect reference in New Vegas), and that effect is no more and no less than the +5 to Sneak. The helmet has no object effect at all (other than +3 to DT, it adds nothing to anything).
Changed article to reflect this point. --JPro 14:41, November 12, 2010 (UTC)
I find it really amusing that you can wear hats and glasses with this on.
Makes you run faster?[edit source]
The page says it gives you a speed boost and I can find no evidence of that, I've done several tests and I run exactly the same all the time. So can we remove it from the page because it seems to be wrong.--1stRecon 02:00, November 19, 2010 (UTC)
I'm guessing the guy that put it there didn't realise he had the perk that makes you run faster in Light Armor. Or he had a glitch... AR700SAW 19:21, November 20, 2010 (UTC)
Technical details on headwear bug - too long for the article, copy/pasted here[edit source]
Italic text is the bug as it was before I added my portion, then follows my portion which was cut from the article:
- Despite its altered properties, the Chinese Stealth Armor is affected by the same bug as its Fallout 3 version, in which the player can equip hats, helmets and eyewear and still have them display on the character. This is due to an entry in the armor's list of models which mistakenly adds the head portion as a separate helmet object, rather than an armor addon. Specifically, it has a head-slot armor addon (ARMA) entry in its Biped Model List but isn't set to take the Biped Object entry (armor slot) that the ARMA is set to take (suit takes up only Upperbody slot, ARMA entry takes up Head slot). So while the suit hides the slot (due to the ARMA taking up the slot), it doesn't prevent another armor item from using that slot, or others that the use of that slot is supposed to block out (hair, glasses, mask, headband, etc). --Kris 11:06, November 20, 2010 (UTC)
What's "stealthy" about this "stealth" armor?[edit source]
Now I get that the Anchorage version of this armor was smooth sailing over the OP sea but atleast it made sense that the Chinese would use stealth technology, it was a clear cut upgrade on recon armor plus it was cool as hell. Now in New Vegas you get this inferior garbage that almost seems like some form of a practical joke by the developers. Well thank god I'm using a PC where the mods can bring the stealth field back and make this armor actually worth using again. This is a singleplayer FPS/RPG, and not StarCraft 2 or something - it doesn't need to be balanced to the point where it weeds all the fun out.--Frosty. 17:48, December 2, 2010 (UTC)
to be fair your char is overpowered anyway, i have a hard time finding something hard to kill in this game, so i dont see why there so worried about being overpowered. Toolazytomakeaaccount 18:04, December 2, 2010 (UTC)
I agree, why did they even bother putting it in if they were going to castrate it? It's clear that Obsidian focused a great deal of thought and effort into "watering down" a lot to make them much less effective than in Fallout 3. Another good example is splitting the Action Boy +30 AP perk into two, +15 AP perks, or Grim Reaper's Sprint only restoring 20 AP instead of restoring Full AP. Don't even get me started on the "Wild Wasteland" thing.. I chose it on my second playthough, expecting it to be--well---WILD? An entirly separate game option just for maybe a dozen subtle little easter-egg jokes? I like the game and all, but I think Obsidians took themselves way too serious to be developing a Fallout game---and maybe they should have spent less time worrying about overpowered character stats and equipment---and insetad should have put that time into BUG TESTING THE GAME.
- Sign your posts. And don't complain about developers actually bothering to make the game more balanced, challenging and fun to play. http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/fallout/images/0/08/Personal_Sig_Image.gif Tagaziel (call!) 12:13, December 4, 2010 (UTC)
You guys need to seriously stop your ranting.Challenge is the fun part of a game,it gets boring hell a lot quicker if your just able to breeze through it with ease.I love the fact that Obsidian atleast tried to make some slight improvements to the difficulty of the game.220.127.116.11 20:18, December 5, 2010 (UTC)
i dont exactly miss the infinite stealth, and i know it was overpowered, but all im stating is that there isn't much difficulty to this game, unless you try hardcore or max difficulty, of course, though i dont mind in the end i have little need for stealth when im firing lasers everywhere. Toolazytomakeaaccount 04:59, December 6, 2010 (UTC)
It NEEDED the kick-ass stealth and invisibility field it brought to the table. If they wanted game balance, they can just boost up specific high-level enemies' perception to the point they can still attack you with 100 sneak crouching in sneak mode with invisibility field at close quarters, then put'em in a building. (*My suggestion of a theme would of been putting the Chinese back in Fallout New Vegas, then allowing them to be level 20+, with heatseeking technology, like that used on weapon mods, so they can detect you no matter your sneak/use of invisbility, and ondeath it either explodes, or whilst worn by the Courier allows them to VATS invisible enemies.)I don't care how overpowered you think your character is, if you slap on Hardcore, or even "Very Hard" for that matter, nothing will save you from a pack of 5 maneating deathclaws at short ranged. >_>. As for the above mentioned watering down of perks, I state:
G.R. Sprint: 20AP Is usually enough for another single shot, because it WAS overpowered in FO3, as you could maul every enemy in sight just by purely VATS.
Action Boy: Agreed, we get a perk every other level up as it is.
Wild Wasteland: Never used it, I roleplay and thus hate the effects it's said to have.
Also want to mention the following:
Cyborg was removed, and it REALLY wasen't overpowered. And the health thing could be easily transferred to "DT".
Ripper was nerfed heavily, and was made extremely fragile. WAY Overdid, the only thing overpowered in FO3 with Ripper is the VATS attack, which really ate up AP. Considering GR Sprint only restores 20 now, it isen't an issue.
Troy242621 02:27, December 26, 2010 (UTC)
I have a pretty nice picture of cass in the suit with the glitched hat; was wondering if there is still a section for it unless it's not needed, of course.- --Adam Sizzler 08:36, December 18, 2010 (UTC)
- Feel free to create a gallery and add it to that. You'll need to make a section for it right before the Video section. --Kris 15:13, December 12, 2010 (UTC)
Put a picture up, i tried to cut it with paint but wiki insisted that it was an illegal file. I really couldn't be bothered changing the file so i left it as it was.--Adam Sizzler 09:00, December 18, 2010 (UTC)
Stolen - Not Stolen?[edit source]
Is it possible to get the 'Owned by NCR' tags removed ingame, that is: on the console?
The wierD One 18.104.22.168 11:42, December 18, 2010 (UTC)
Light touch + chinese stealth armor[edit source]
win. finally a reason to take the chinese stealth armor over recon armor22.214.171.124 03:47, December 22, 2010 (UTC)
possible glitch[edit source]
is it possible that bethesda forgot to add the stealth field? they have made worst mistakes like the general chase from zeta adding the world model of the winterized combat armor can someone ask bethesda/obisidian if its a glitch not adding the stealth fiedl to the armor
It's not a glitch. Obsidian probably realized, as anyone who played Operation Anchorage would tell you, that the FO3 Chinese stealth armor was simply way too overpowered. It made stealth-boys and investing any points in sneak absolutely useless. If they added in the abilities it had from the FO3 version, this would be the only armor anyone would ever use and I'm sure the New Vegas team wouldn't want any of that. Panzer89 11:09, January 3, 2011 (UTC)
- I don’t buy the over powered business. If anyone wants to breeze through this game they can simply turn the difficulty down to very easy. In that respect this game is actually easier. On FO3 even on very easy it still took a little doing to kill a Deathclaw or a Mutant Overlord. In New Vegas on very easy you can drop a Deathclaw with one headshot.
- I had the armor in FO3 and the only thing I used it for was to replace having to use stealth boys when I wanted to steal stuff right under peoples noses. How people play the game is entirely up to them, if they want to ruin the experience by going through the game invisible then so be it.
- What they should have done is given them a different name, like Chinese stealth armor prototype, or something like that. And they could have at least given it a stealth field that ran out like a stealth boy does, or have it take time to recharge or something. They could have even had them use energy cells, for every 15 seconds you’re stealth field is on it used one energy cell. That would have actually been pretty cool.
- As it stands, isn’t calling it the same name but taking the stealth field away going against canon? Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad they made the game more challenging, FO3 was simply too easy, but FO3 did establish that the armor had a constant stealth field so they should have left that in, left them out of the game or called them something different. ReapTheChaos 10:15, January 13, 2011 (UTC)
- Maybe they are a less advanced variant of the stealth armor seen in in Fallout 3--KieranBOS 10:34, January 13, 2011 (UTC)
- Well obviously they are, but they could have solved the issue by simply giving them a different name. How hard would it have been to add the word prototype onto the name? ReapTheChaos 11:02, January 13, 2011 (UTC)
- Or maybe, y'know, it ran out of juice? An infinite stealth field is the most unbalancing factor. It completely removes the need for a stealth boy, as you yourself prove. Besides, 200 years in a damp, unregulated environment play havoc with technology. http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/fallout/images/0/08/Personal_Sig_Image.gif Tagaziel (call!) 16:05, January 13, 2011 (UTC)
Maybe it's simpler than that, maybe they removed it because it was too much work/ memory to keep on digitizing the effect. Fallout3 was seriously prone to crashing, and maybe that visual effect was part of the cause... (not that I know the first thing about programming).
Possibly proving the stealth field isn't over powered[edit source]
Okay, so do any of you remember in Oblivion how you could enchant your armor to give you 100% chameleon(pretty much stealth field) and no one would even know you existed? That is overpowered stealth. But if you only got 99% you could still be detected if you weren't careful. This armor only gave a 15% stealth field(i think) and if you weren't careful you would still be caught(I was always careful however.) The armor actually balanced the game in my opinion by giving you something that compared to the T-51b( which made you pretty much bulletproof.) in this game i will admit that a few perks give light armor some bonuses but Remnant armor is sadly the "best"(only in the following sense of course) armor since it makes you even more bulletproof than the old T-51b. Fallout 3 was just an easy game and removing the stealth field on this is just absurd because it made the bulletproof tank playing style more favorable( I'm still stubbornly a stealth character however.) Think about it this way, what if they made the power armor out of tissue paper to balance the game? In my eyes that's exactly what they're doing to the opposite side of the spectrum. --Ze5ro1 05:44, January 19, 2011 (UTC)
Oh yeah and the old CSA didn't make stealth boys useless. It actually made them more useful since you could get a more intense stealth field. I'd really like someone to have a friendly argument about this with me. It's a point of the game that made me kinda angry. (and how did this run out of power but T-45d power armor didn't even though it states that they ran out of power extremely fast.)--Ze5ro1 05:49, January 19, 2011 (UTC)
- It did make them useless. Any stealth field, even minor, makes stealth boys irrelevant, because, well, it's a stealth effect that makes you that much harder to be seen by NPCs. I don't have the numbers right now, but I believe that the inherent property of a stealth field is that lighting conditions are ignored when sneaking and NPC line of sight severely limited. I'll test it with a Stealth Party Hattm when I have the time.
- Besides, why are you complaining that brute force is more efficent than stealth? Yes, subtlety requires more effort and time invested because, duh, instead of killing everyone you meet you avoid them. http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/fallout/images/0/08/Personal_Sig_Image.gif Tagaziel (call!) 09:57, January 19, 2011 (UTC)
The page seems to say that Chinese Stealth Armor can be repaired using Recon Armor. Am I reading that right, and has anyone verified it? I do have Recon Armor now and it's not letting me repair the Stealth Armor. (PS3) --126.96.36.199 15:35, March 19, 2011 (UTC)
Overlooking the Obvious[edit source]
There is nothing OP about the Chinese Stealth Armor, because the Fallout series is a single person game. This isn't like WOW or something where the game can be unfair depending on your class, in Fallout 3 the Chinese Stealth Armor only has implications if you actually use it. If theres an item you don't like, guess what? DON'T USE IT! There are plenty of people (myself included) who love what the Chinese Stealth Armor does, it's cool as hell! And if I have a problem with it making things too easy, I take it off. Furthermore, it was still not as good as the stealth boys, it did not give you absolute invisibility, it gave you stealth field 15, stealth boys are 75. The two could be used in conjunction for even better results as well. It was not an almighty invisibility, it just added a cool effect to the game play. The point is, it's one thing to change game play, stats, or perks to give the game more of a challenge or make it more streamlined, it's another thing to start screwing with good game components that make the game fun in order to seem like you are doing a better job. (Especially the things that are completely inconsequential in the grand scheme of things, such as DLC armor) The whole point of DLC is that it's something new and cool to add to the original game and, if you ask me, all the Fallout 3 DLC were all great. I'm surprised none of the fascists (who seem to be endlessly beratting anyone who actually likes the Chinese Stealth Armor) ranting on here haven't started complaining about the OP items still in New Vegas, such as the one shot mini nukes, the alien blaster, or maybe the holy frag grenades (which you get 3 of in New Vegas) that give off explosions and dmg equal to like three mini nukes. You can take out Ceaser's whole camp with them! The Chinese Stealth Armor should have been left alone. It was awesome as it was and added a whole new level of cool to Fallout 3. If you didn't like it then you didn't need to use it, but do me a favor, don't try to speak for the rest of us. (Youmadbro? 04:04, April 16, 2011 (UTC))
"Fair," what a farce. The word itself is nothing but the whining of those who can't compete.
If you feel the armor is overpowered, DON'T PUT IT ON. Duh.
Obsidian and Bethesda are BOTH known to buy the rights to good games and castrate them for mass market.
Call it what it is.
HelenaHanbazkt 00:45, April 19, 2011 (UTC)HelenaHanbazkt
Remember that time when we didn't need to voluntarily cripple our character by dumping overpowered equipment to have a modicum of difficulty in our games? That was so great. Whnever you would find a new armor, you'd go "HELL YEAH!" instead of "Ok, let's see how badly this breaks the game".--188.8.131.52 12:46, July 16, 2011 (UTC)
everyone read this!!![edit source]
there is a way to fix the stealth armor but ive had no luck finding this holotape anyone if you have found anything please let me know
follow this link to find out more Chinese_stealth_armor its under hoover dam sabotage armor
I didn't get one either. I removed it from the page until someone can prove itIcommandoxx 19:37, April 28, 2011 (UTC)
i know ive checked and recheck all of hoover dam and nothing but if someone finds it someone has too
Anyone else have a glitch where while having the chinese stealth armour equipped, then zooming in while in 1st person view, you can see a black rectangle in the top right corner of the screen? It happens to me every time, when I don't have a weapon equipped. This happens on PS3. I'd like to know if anyone else has gotten this before adding it. 06:36, July 8, 2011 (UTC)
Yes, i miss the stealth field, and yes, i agree that "Being OP" does take the fun out of it. however, it should be noted that it's not exactly easy to get in the beginning, plus, how is our stealth field OP when the night kin and night stalkers stealth is in effect until they attack, they could just have made it so that receiving damage, and firing weapons disrupt the stealth field. however, i don't agree with either side of this Argument, as i feel that it is very fun to use, and very easy to kill with, but i really just kept it because it looked cool. It just felt fun sometimes to hop in the suit and whip out my melee and unarmed weps, and just end a couple gangs of raiders just for fun. id sometimes even save at my megaton house, and get my melee and unarmed and hop in the suit, and it's fun to just mess around in towns with the sandman and cannibal perks. So it is OP, but i still don't like that they removed it. what i want to clarify here, is that debating on the subject here will not help. PC's can get it modded, and if you have the right source, PS3's and 360's can get it modded too. so the stealth field has no challenge value, but that doesn't change how cool and fun it was to use :P just saying that the fire lance, Alien blaster, and other alien weps made killing masters overlords and raiders easy street. but noone talks about them >.> now, if fallout new vegas had dressable mannequins in one of the various houses, id collect that armor just to have them wear it lol. 184.108.40.206 19:45, July 25, 2011 (UTC)
Where is the suit really located? It isn't in the offices. Mictlantecuhtli 05:16, July 28, 2011 (UTC)
- Finally found it, the room doesn't clearly appear on the local map unless you zoom in a lot. Mictlantecuhtli 05:20, July 28, 2011 (UTC)
I was wondering if equiping headgear makes the helmet disappear because I feel like making Solid Snake and this armour would be a good substitute for his "sneaking suit" if it wasn't for the stupid face mask