This talk page is only for discussing improvements to the page "Deathclaw promontory".
It is not the place for general discussion or sharing stories about the topic of this article. Please use the forums for these purposes.
Anymore Unmarked areas?[edit source]
Anymore of these areas? In the mean time...im off for a look.
Where are the bodies located?
-Trying to work that one out myself , i've searched the area that they're supposed to be in untill i went cross-eyed , i've used the suggested bug fixes for the area (xbox360) but still nothing.
I wish someone could actually tell us where the bodies are, Ive searched everywhere and cant find them. a picture is no good, as that could be anywhere.
When you first enter the area, and the ramp to the river is directly behind you, head up and to the right, looking on the ground at the bases of boulders nearer to the sheer rock face than the ledge.
Hope that helps, it took me hours in real time, (a week of in-game waiting) to find them because it wouldn't activate at first. It's a rough battle, but only as rough as Dead Wind Cave. Shotgun surgeon and Dinner Bell is a good combination. 184.108.40.206 16:19, November 2, 2011 (UTC)HelenaHanbazkt
That is gonna be one pain in the ass trip,that armor better be worth it.
-its actually extremely simple to clear out if you have a sniper rifle. the hardest part isnt even the large group, its when you first come up the ramp off the river. you have to be quick, but with a good crit rate you can take a deathclaw down in 2 shots with a sniper rifle with standard ammo.
when you are first entering the area you cant get up to a vantage point before the first group so you have to take them head on, sort of. i just crept up barely high enough and shot one, then they sort of ran down at me one after another, but 2 quick shots with the sniper and dead, next one.
once you get past the first group and can find a good vantage point at extreme range none of the deathclaws can survive more than 1 sneak attack critical with a sniper. just sit way back, kill 1 and it will go to 'caution' for about 10 seconds then go back to 'hidden'. kill another one, and wait the 10 seconds again... rinse repeat until they are all dead.
you can clear the whole area without ever getting swung at, except that first group.
- -I was able to get past the first group too with the help of a stealth boy. Killed all of them without getting attacked.
-forgot to mention i have better criticals perk, so if you dont have that it might take more shots, i dont know.
- I've never been to this location, but at another location I was sneaking with ED-E and Lily in my party, without using a Stealth Boy, and was able to take out a Deathclaw with a scoped, silenced Varmint Rifle and 5.56mm AP ammo (100 Guns skill). So yeah, use all the advantages you can, and have a powerful backup weapon - I have the Alien Blaster which has been, aside from three Giant Radscorpions, been used exclusively on Deathclaws who got too close - it took a mere three shots to take down the mighty Legendary Deathclaw. --Kris 11:39, November 13, 2010 (UTC)
- It takes seven with the YCS/186 using max charge ammo, bloody mess, rank 3 lord death and rank 3 abominable. If you can get more than one sneak attack critical on it it takes fewer than that. Mictlantecuhtli 09:06, November 14, 2010 (UTC)
As a melee character that first bit was insanely hard, I ended up setting up a trap with mines and then retreating to the water, the deathclaws AI is weird so they will just sorta walk around if they can't get to your location. This let me run back on to them and take them one by one, rather than at once.
Similarly I found that if you are on some high rocks they will ignore you, this let me take out the alpha and 2 mothers without losing any health at all using my missile launcher.CrayolaS7 13:09, November 15, 2010 (UTC)
I was able to one shot kill every deathclaw with a headshot from the alien blaster using psycho with 80 energy weapons skill.
It was pretty easy for me with Anabelle/Grenade Launcher and 100 explosives/3rd demolition expert, it was like fighting mole rats..lol.Jacob39 04:53, February 3, 2011 (UTC)
- Yes, this is the way! :D Or taking a Minigun upgraded with High-Speed Motor and Damped Subframe, loaded with AP ammo, it's like cutting butter with a hot knife. I don't recommend using the Avenger because of the low magazine capacity. Brfritos 23:51, February 10, 2011 (UTC)
i cleared out the entire area alone, with a single sniper rifle, without be attacked once. It can be done, and surprisingly easily. As you walk up the path from the river, crouch and hug the right wall. Activate a stealth unit as you get to the top, then curve around (hard right, sort of making a U-turn) and follow along the edge of the cliff, making your way roughly south among the rocks. There is a rock that is pointy at the top, and clearly higher than any other. With a little effort, you can maneuver your way to the top of it (it's slanted pretty evenly). Once at the top, you can see the entire pack with the Alpha and Mother. Snipe away. Even without a silenced rifle (my stealth boy ran out, and the first time i tried it i had a service rifle but simply ran out of ammo) they will rage out in circles and mob around, but never figure it out and attack you. Even when your indicator flashes a red warning, they will not attack. Once done, simply move roughly north along the top of the tall rocks you're on, and repeat with the other groups. Vault Girl
The Remnants armor is definately worth it. That DT of 46 is great for any situation. I used the For Auld Lang Syne path to get a suit on an earlier character but i might have messed up on my opportunity to do it for my latest and greatest creation. Think a fully modded, maxed and repaired Gatling Laser will be enough to tackle these 'Claws? It just managed to get me through Dead Wind cave thanks to the epic crit rate i got (Legend went down eventually but still the longest fight i've ever had in FO). Might give it a try with either laser or maybe snipe with Holo first then charge in. Any guesstimates on how many a level 38 player might run into? It would make the hunt significantly more efficient. I hate charging in blind, if there isn't an answer here, ED-E will have to suffice, though the compass doesn't have very effective depth perception.
Deathclaw Eggs[edit source]
The page currently says the eggs appear if Bleed Me Dry is active; I've just been there after having completed the quest long ago, and the eggs were there for me. Just sayin'. Shall I remove this? What have other people found? Neenish Tart 05:45, November 18, 2010 (UTC)
They always drop randomly, not only when that quest is active. They are used for other things like the lady in Sloan that makes Deathclaw ommelettes from them. (Yum yum) --BlitzKrieg-BoB 14:34, March 7, 2011 (UTC)
No bodies[edit source]
I found guns there by rock, below the nest (Tri-Beam Laser, Multipas Rifle), but no bodies. I even tried console command to check if they don´t fall under ground, but they simply aren´t there. 220.127.116.11 15:50, December 4, 2010 (UTC)
- As the article says, there is a glitch that this can happen. Try reloading the save or fast traveling away and back (though this will probably spawn more death claws). One of the other "cures" for the glitch is supposedly getting the Remnant's Power Helmet first and bringing it with you but I haven't tested this myself (sounds odd). --Pongsifu 09:27, December 6, 2010 (UTC)
- At first the bodies didn't appear, but after i brought the Remnant's Helmet they were there :)
- Remnant's helmet is not a surefire solution. I had it in my possession the first time traveling to this area, and no bodies. Just the rifles on the ground. (The Wasteland Inventor 02:00, October 17, 2011 (UTC))
I've found, through my 2 playthroughs, that the bodies seem to appear as soon as all de Deathclaws, including the Mother(s) and the Alpha male(s) have been taken care of. Can someone else, help with confirming this? Axer18.104.22.168 15:37, May 24, 2011 (UTC)
in my experience the bodies didn't appear till I had discovered the cliff side prospectors camp. if you have already discovered it, travel there then try looking for the bodies again. The lone wanderer's bad-ass grandma 16:29, September 1, 2011 (UTC)
Random spawns?[edit source]
After I cleared out the area, and there were no more red tick marks (with ED-E), I spent a while searching for the bodies of the prospectors. Since I jumped over the rocks, rather than staying on the ground, my companions were a ways back. All of a sudden, I got a message that Veronica was unconscious, and then, a second later, a clip of ED-E vaporizing a deathclaw. I turned around a saw another red tick on my compass, but ED-E killed the Deathclaw Mother before I arrived. I hadn't killed the Deathclaw Mother yet, so it wasn't a respawn, but do you have any idea how this happened? LucidDreams 19:31, March 20, 2011 (UTC)
12-14? More like 20![edit source]
I just went there as a level 37, and there was at least 20deathclaws. Single hardest bit in the game, used up 5 turbos and all my tesla prototype thing and CZ57's ammo!
Recommended weapon for going to this area to get armor, is Brush Gun and the Anti-Material Rifle since they are both powerful weapons. If you are playing on Hardcore Mode, just turn the difficulty down to Very Easy if it is too hard for you, or if you are not playing on Hardcore Mode than I suggest do whatever the hell you like, if you like a challenge.
- I went there with a plasma gun (Energy Weapons 100) and the Meltdown perk (and a high crit rate from various things). Relatively easy. At one point I caught a group of them a little too close together and they set each other off like a string of firecrackers. Wunengzi 09:38, September 15, 2011 (UTC)
- Just stumbled across this place for the first time whilst exploring randomly. At level 45 there were some two to three dozen deathclaws in the area, two mothers and one alpha male. I was using a brushgun/antimateriel rifle (I imagine any strong ranged weapons will suffice), and it wasn't as difficult as I'd first figured it would be due to the fact that it's an open space with tonnes of prime sniping locations. But it sure is a shock to suddenly find a huge tribe of deathclaws milling around in an obscure area without so much as a map marker to their name. Even the climb from the shoreline's not too bad if you just creep around to the rocky cover left of the promontory's opening, but my followers completely messed this up and got themselves (and me) killed in my first attempt. Paragost 08:12, September 17, 2011 (UTC)
No Deathclaws[edit source]
Anyone else ever go there and not run into any Deathclaws at all? This happened to me the second time I traveled there. Couldn't find the bodies then either.--Darth Oblivion 07:10, June 24, 2011 (UTC)
my way[edit source]
Honestly the best way for me too over take this ass-rape waiting to happen was equiping veronica with a ballastic fist and power armor and ed-e. Then equiped with a power armor and a alien pistol i quickly took out the deathclaws however to prevent them from closing in on me i frequently used turbo.
Leaving and coming back[edit source]
I had killed most of the Deathclaws, including the Mother and Alpha, but I left to restock, as there were more. So, I come back, and all of the Deathclaws just up and disappeared, and as said before, there were no bodies, only guns. So, possibly, if you do kill the leaders of the pack, the pack leaves?