Talk:Ranger battle armor
This talk page is only for discussing improvements to the page "Ranger battle armor".
It is not the place for general discussion or sharing stories about the topic of this article. Please use the forums for these purposes.
Tip: Ranger Battle Armor + Magic 8 Ball + Lucky Shades + 6 Base Luck + Finesse + Luck Increase with Perk + Better Criticals = MY GOD RUN FOR THE HILLS HE'S COMING. More or less.--18.104.22.168 20:08, 26 November 2008 (UTC)
I prefer the battle armor + ledoux's mask for the AP, so a natural 7 + bobblehead and the 8 ball, along with those perks and silent running, sneak criticals all the time, I love it. Take all the DR perks you can get as well, you don't even notice the missing power armor. email@example.com 02:39, 16 December 2008 (UTC)
Actually, with Lucky Shades + Ranger Battle Armor + Lucky 8 Ball + Three Dog's Head Wrap you can have a base 5 luck - if you run for the bobblehead or get the 8 Ball before level 10 (Mysterious Stranger perk requirement), you won't be missing anything at all (capped at 10). But then again, if you are posting here, you probably aren't planning on using Power Armor. (It's base 6 luck for that - no Power Helmet though.) To get the most out if you use "trade" clothing like Roving Trader Hat and Roving Trader Outfit, you'd need base 6 luck as well (+bobble+ball+shades=9) for the +5 to all Skills. ~~ChaIsADumpStat 02:17, 10 January 2009 (UTC)
This thing is awesome if your a low lvl this and Harknesses Plasma rifle See The Replicated Man-LuckyShades
- It's pretty awesome for a high lvl too. It beats power armour for mobility and is easy to repair. I even prefer it to T-51b and the Tesla armour.--22.214.171.124 12:59, 21 March 2009 (UTC)
- My current Small Gunner character is lvl 20 and still uses Ranger Battle Armor. But since I chose perks for VATS instead of free aim combat style, I'm going to use the Tribal Power Armor eventually. Both armors go well with Ledoux's Hocky Mask for a VATS Boy.--Brian ranzoni 00:28, 27 April 2009 (UTC)
Why the Halo reference?
Saying that the Armor looks like the armor worn by marines in Halo 3 seems a bit odd to me. As far as i remember the design of armor for Marines in Halo has not changed from game 1. Also one could say that it looks like Imperial Guard armor from W40k or frankly any "Standard" soldier in a futuristic setting. This also goes for "Aliens" BTW, though i will keep that one up I am going to remove it
- It is NOT a reference to Halo. But Reilly's Rangers IS a reference to the movie Aliens, down to the main character Ripley and the "butch" female marine carrying a minigun/smart gun. Ironically, Halo contains MANY Easter eggs referring to Aliens (down to the Marines' dialogue) so if Reilly's Rangers really was a reference to Halo, it would be a reference to another reference.
Huh...can't believe I didn't figure that out, but it seems obvious now that it is pointed out. Bunch of marines on a scouting mission get trapped in a last stand by a bunch of monsters. Leader is a tough woman. Butcher is the sensible romantic interest. Tough chick with the big gun loves to mow down the bad guys. The key to getting help is a radio transmission, even. LOL. DreadPirateMurphy 16:52, 10 July 2009 (UTC)
Best Armor in Game? Or obsolete?
I would take this armor over any Power Armor that I have seen in the game or in the DLC.. I play a more stealthy than aggresive game, so the low weight as compared to Power Armor is very important. If you are a sniper, anyway, this armor cant be beat.. A small increase to AP, but any little bit helps.. +1 LCK to help with critical hits, and +10 to Small Guns.. You can have your Power Armor. I'll take this! 126.96.36.199 15:16, 4 April 2009 (UTC)
- Really? I think the Chinese Stealth Armor made the ranger armor obsolete -- at least for stealth/sniper characters anyway. It's a pity too because I actually prefer the look of ranger armor.
- Ranger Battle Armor is not the best for Big Gunners, Melee Boys, or any Combat Boy tailored more for free-aiming than VATS. Plus, you lose that +10 boost once you max out your Small Guns Skill. But it remains excellent armor. My current character still uses it, but as a VATS Boy, I need the AP boost from Tribal Power Armor more than I need the stealh boost.--Brian ranzoni 00:50, 27 April 2009 (UTC)
TBH for a nice medium seek out lagbolt's combat armour from the Broken Steel Add on. DR, AP and a cool black. Good for end game players who dont really need all the added bonuses from reilys combat armour but could really use an extra +5 AP.. with only -1 DR diffrence.. Lagbolts beats reily's combat armour as my end game armour of choice so far.. I like vats and free aim.. and i was using Tribal Power armour for a while to see if i preferd it.. but realised the DR just wasnt good enough compared. So with lagbolts I have deffinatley found my happy medium :D TheRepublicOfDave 05:17, 26 June 2009 (UTC) IMHO i believe it is the best armor in the game because it doesn't slow you down and it looks great with the Sheriff's hat and Lucky Shades (Maverick21 20:42, 14 July 2009 (UTC))
This armor is not obsolete. At level 20, no DLC, my character's SPECIAL at night is: 7 10 8 4 10 7 10. I have never taken intense training perk, and had no intention of creating a full SPECIAL character. In trying to make my character useful in all methods of combat, and trying to raise my repair, lockpick, sneak, and science, my small guns came up 9 points short. With this armor, I have 100 Energy Weapons (not affected by armor) , Repair , Small Guns, can kill a Yao Guai in three VATS hits with a Shishkabab (better criticals FTW) , and can crack hard terminals and locks. My character isn't perfect, but that's the way it should be. Anyway, I can run faster, shoot better, sneak better, and have 1 less DR than Power armor. So, no, this armor is not obsolete.--Hollow Points 13:57, 30 July 2009 (UTC)Hollow Points
What armor works for reverse-pickpocketing? I've tried 100% repair Enclave power armor and 80% (apporox.) Metal Armor. this is getting frustrating. Yes, I know to leave the compound, then come back. No dice. They still wear their battle armor. Can someone who has pickpocketed the armor away help?--188.8.131.52 13:55, 29 July 2009 (UTC)Hollow Points
- I used Tesla Armor on Brick while she was sleeping. Worked like a charm. ~ The Unsigned One, 29 July 2009
I gave up and used the console. I was hoping to get it "legitimately" but Ranger battle armor is too badass not to have.--Hollow Points 13:29, 30 July 2009 (UTC)Hollow Points
To the anonymous user who posted here: We have no need for your "contributions" here. Go post your pictures on 4chan or something. Degenerate.--Hollow Points 13:11, 31 July 2009 (UTC)Hollow Points.
I remember I had to mess around awhile to get this to work back when I picked the mingun instead. To get the armor and to be more specific: I put 100% repaired Tesla Armor(anything over 39DR will do) on Brick while she was sleeping, just wait untill night time. Exit and enter compound. Brick will still be sleeping. Rest till day time. Brick will immediately put the tesla armor on. Steal the ranger armor. It's pretty difficult to succeed, but you will eventually get it just keep trying and reloading. If you keep failing a shit load try manually waiting a bit and trying again. World War Ill 23:59, November 2, 2010 (UTC)
-Keys To Reverse Pickpocketing/Looting/Obtaining the armor:
1. Before Each attempt, save right before when you are crouched, hidden, and in range. This means a failure only requires reloading a save then pounding A until you can try again... maybe 30 seconds MAX estimated. per attempt. Chances are unlikely for all rangers. Maybe 50/50 at max sneak and agilities, etc.
2. The metal armor and enclave armor (even nearly broken Enclave Power Armor/T-45d Mark II Power Armor will work) I think they at min need to beat 26 DR. I believe at the cnd. When you loot/pickpocket them, they're all roughly, if not exactly, the same condition and I believe the DR equivalent of the armors in their initial state is about that- 26DR.
3. Donovan appears, I believe, a total of once in a random encounter after Reilly's Rangers is completed, and he may die not by your fault. (It can happen far away enough that an encumbered player may not be able to hear about it, esp. with low enough perception. If something is in the way, and you don't hear any explosions, he may die before you even realize anything was going on. You may not even realize anything went on.) I was outside the Yaoi Guoi(sp?) tunnels with the raised rocks all around the entrance... no real visibility too far. Around one of the corners made by the rocks, some mutants came to attack me. They left Donovan's body. There were no explosions from the fight (though, one had grenades) and I looted the mutants. I actually quick-traveled to megaton after to offload (I was overencumbered off and on in the encounter outside of the cave and barely repaired and dropped enough 1:1 W:V items of no use to fast-travel to megaton. Luckily my next destination was the nearby Lamplight tunnels for Vault 87 and the Picking Up the Trail Quest. I was on the path from YG tunnels to LL tunnels and passed the very near-by, en-route-to-the-site scene of the fight and luckily noticed the very close body at the edge of where the fight happened. I got lucky. -POINT: He could have the armor you gave him or the ranger armor if you've yet to take it and same goes for headware, and you can miss him! Be careful!
4. Try a few things. Wait 1+ hours (waiting any amount of time should be more than fine, so 1 hr is all that should be necessary). Go outside then come back in, or combine. Go outside, wait for 1 hour, reenter. If you have given them metal armor or enclave power armor, anything with DR higher than 32, they should most definitely have it on when you come back in, and the ranger armor should be lootable.
Notes: I think you can get 5 copies this way, 4 from the troop, for some reason the recruit doesn't wear it but I believe a random merc outfit... obviously they didn't WANT him to live. And the other deceased members aren't in this game as far as I know. And you can ask for it from Reilly. Considering you can get 4 without the reward one, and only 1 Eugene without the reward, I find it to be more worth it to get the Eugene reward. Considering one can wear one copy and merely repair it with any copy of the common talon and regular combat armor, one can be more than enough and it is slightly more practical than most power armors. Power armors also cost more and are more rare, so any spent/wasted/used on repairs is more profit loss than the common Talon and regular combat armor with this armor type. I also, think they're tagged as unique, b/c I have 3 copies all fully repaired as high as I can make them go (100%) and all 3 are separate entries in my stand-by house locker.- Blaze55555 08:19, January 26, 2011 (UTC)
is there a blue version of this armor—Preceding comment was unsigned. Please sign your posts with ~~~~!
Did you even look at the fricken pictures we have on the article?! No, the armor is green! Nitty 02:54, September 28, 2009 (UTC)
yeah i have a set but some guy posted that he found in a random encounter a blue version of it
Where did he post that? Nitty 03:14, September 28, 2009 (UTC)
its on the ranger compound page under glitches he talking about why they turn hostile and he found a ranger in blue armor in minefield
It's vandalism. Thanks for pointing that out, though! :) Nitty 03:30, September 28, 2009 (UTC)
crap i was hoping there was a blue version oh well thanks anyway
Reference to real world mercenary outfits?
The ranger battle armor, what with the dark top and light pants may be a reference to almost cliche mercenary outfits, with black shirts and light, sometimes olive drab pants. This might be why both the pants and the pant armor are both the same, light olive drab color, where on the regular combat armor the pants and the armor are different color. 184.108.40.206 12:43, January 11, 2010 (UTC)
It should be added under the notes section that if a player is aiming for a sniper characheter he is better of taking the enclave hellfire armour as it doesn't damage agility, gives a way better armour stat and when it comes down to it makes that death claw gauntlet even more deadly. All for only an extra 3 weight, plus it still leaves room for that bandana and lucky shades.
Anyone know the refid of the matching helmet? The baseid that's listed fails to spawn it from the console and I don't want to shoot the one guy wearing one. 220.127.116.11 03:49, March 28, 2010 (UTC)
- Ignore me. I must have done something wrong the first time I tried. That code does spawn the helmet. 18.104.22.168 00:03, March 30, 2010 (UTC)
As a Reward?
I can see how this may be a good choice at low levels considering it's a strong non-Power Armor, and Eugene would be hard to use due to the rarity of Miniguns at low levels, But as you level and you unlock the Power Armor Training perk, wouldn't Eugene be a better choice? BOSPalidan 's ROFLCopter goes soi soi soi soi soi 21:20, July 4, 2010 (UTC)
On the wiki page someone has put that you can pick pocket Donovan to get the helmet. Anyone actually done this? When I try it is not available.
I did it with a nearly fully repaired enclave power armor helmet (anything above 75% should be fine) and you can quote me on that. read above. Blaze55555 08:23, January 26, 2011 (UTC)
I managed it with a fully repaired Motorcycle Helmet. Pretty good trade if you ask me. TheShotgunShogun 00:07, October 20, 2011 (UTC)
Ranger Battle Armor in New Vegas
I've seen the gift armor in New Vegas in the PC version, apparently attained not by cheat code, but from loot within the first 10 lvls of play. I have the PS3 version, and am wondering if I can find (or ever could have found) this armor (and if so, where) or if a patch removed it. -PSN- MaryJBurnswell
- Yes, the Ranger Battle Armor is still in the New Vegas data files. No, you can't get it legitimately.