This talk page is only for discussing improvements to the page "Rapid Reload".
It is not the place for general discussion or sharing stories about the topic of this article. Please use the forums for these purposes.
This perk is actually less useful the higher your base agility score is. with a low agility score it takes longer to reload and a 25% increase will be a noticable speed up. with a high agility you reload so fast you can barely tell the difference with taking this perk.
just common sense really.
2 seconds - 25% = .5 seconds off (noticable)
0.5 seconds -25% = 0.125 seconds off (not really noticable)
Though it can still be effective for certain weapons that reload slowly even with high agility, such as a cowboy repeater, but its effect is still diminished.
Does this modify a certain weapons' DPS that require reloading after every shot (Single Shotgun, Gauss Rifle, etc)? 18.104.22.168 01:55, October 26, 2010 (UTC)
- Yes it does higher the actual DPS because it cuts down the reload time. But the DPS showed on the wiki and in the GECK do not calculate the reload time in. --22.214.171.124 10:32, December 15, 2010 (UTC)
(PS3) When I turn the game off for a bit, then go back on later, the Rapid Reload perk doesn't seem to work for some reason. I checked my perk list and it's still there, and sure enough a few minutes later it starts working again. It seems every time I start the game up, Rapid Reload is inactive for a few minutes. Anyone else experienced this bug?
(PC) I can confirm that, in rare occasions, the "non-function" of the perk can also occur on the PC, usually after fresh-loading a game (first load after accessing the game). The perk seems to be either dorment or fully inactive until a weapon equip in-game. I would also like to add that this perk seems to be the very reason why certain "round-by-round" reloaded weapons (rbr) get stuck. In a moment the perk does not function, your currently equiped rbr right after a save will reload at normal speed but wont get stuck. Switch to another weapon (I tried another rbr, might also cause it) and the perk suddenly springs to life, but at the cost of your weapon getting stuck after a reload. Rbr weapons include any weapon that reloads one bullet, buck shot shell or any other type of round after another to fill up a "round storage". Such weapons also include Revolvers that are rbr. Main issue might be that in FO3 the reload animation was the same (Lincoln's Repeater for example) regardless of the actual amount of rounds being added to the weapon, in NV rbr weapon animations repeat the animation for the exact number of rounds added to the weapon. The perk might speed up the repeating animation, but may or may not properly calculate the actual time for each round to be effectively added to the weapon, thus causing the animation and game mechanical reload times to be "out of sync" with each other. Though I can not prove this, I find it unusual that any clip/magazine/"preloaded revolver drum" weapon does not suffer from the "weapon gets stuck after reload" effect. With "preloaded revolver drum" I mean the drum that is fully loaded and inserted into a revolver. Best thing is to avoid using rbr weapons or to avoid this perk until a patch trully fixed it. Patch 1.2 was claimed to fix the Cowboy Repeater, but its not fixed, nor are the other rbr weapons. For PC, find the base ID for this perk and manually remove it from your character and replace it with another (if you like). After removing the perk, save, exit, and reload your game. If that doesnt work, well, then I just dont know what will work. --Radnus 126.96.36.199 19:42, November 18, 2010 (UTC)
- That explanation would work if the rbr reload bug only affected characters with the Rapid Reload perk, which is not the case. --Kris 20:07, November 18, 2010 (UTC)
- It seems that this perk amplifies the effect. I've read that agility also factors in reload speeds. --Radnus 188.8.131.52 14:46, November 19, 2010 (UTC)
Terrain Limits - Long Range[edit source]
This is still useful as often the terrain will work to prevent the perfect long range shot, especially near the quarry when fighting deathclaws. You get 1 maybe 2 shots off at range (due to them being behind rocks, in gulleys, etc) with the YCS/186 Gauss rifle before they close the gap, with a weapon like the YCS/186 this can spell disaster (especially if using it's power to complete the quest at level 10 or lower before gaining abominable where it takes 1 sneak headshot or 2 regular headshots to kill one at range and they or a group come running after the first shot). Mictlantecuhtli 10:33, November 1, 2010 (UTC)
AP cost[edit source]
this perk doesnt affect the AP cost to reload weapons in VATS. it should considering a trait like fast shot gives you 20% reduced AP costs, but it doesnt do anything. i tested it with my current character, and with or without the perk, i have exactly enough AP to shoot 6 times with a reload in vats. it shows a reload taking 4 AP 'bars' on the vats meter either way.
- 184.108.40.206, "Rapid Reload" is a very low-level perk which affects only the speed of reloading your weapon... It has absolutely nothing to do with the number of Action Points needed to fire it. Perks that lower your AP costs are rightfully reserved for higher character levels (i.e. Level 10 for Math Wrath, Level 27 for Nerves of Steel perk).
- Also please sign your posts with the 4 tildes so that we have an idea when you added to this page (Unsigned and undated contributions are usually ignored.) --Theicla 17:15, November 18, 2010 (UTC)
- Exactly how many AP points does it cost to reload, anyway? Measuring it in "bars" is completely uninformative without knowing what your total AP is. 220.127.116.11 21:47, November 28, 2010 (UTC)
Does it work with 10 Agility[edit source]
Does this perk still works with 10 Agility? As someone suggests here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/959557-fallout-new-vegas/56998898 ... there might be a minimum reload time. Could someone find out or if the effect of this perk is still noticeable with 10 Agility and with the YCS/186 for example? --The Bart 22:40, December 9, 2010 (UTC)
- Yes, it works. The guy saying it won't make a difference in the beginning of the page suffered the bug. I'm guessing the guy at Gamefaqs must have the same issue, because I have a 9AG build and in one ocasion I took coyote tobacco chew, wich pushed my AG to 10 and I still noted an increase in the reloading time of my Service Rifle. Problem is, the perk is bugged, sometimes it will stop to work random (in the middle of a battle, when fast-travelling, entering/exiting buildings, etc). It's a shame, because the increase in reload speed is notable, even with 10AG. Brfritos 11:04, May 4, 2011 (UTC)
Ammo switching glitch makes Rapid Reload useless for revolvers and shotguns[edit source]
I don't know where to put this on the wiki, so i'll put it here. You can instantly fill up revolvers or any weapon that uses a similar reloading system by switching to a different ammo type and immediately switch to original ammo you used. If done correctly you'll only have to reload one bullet instead of five or six, saving a lot of time. -unsigned
Yes, but that's pretty much glitch exploiting.--Alexmikli 22:33, February 7, 2011 (UTC)
What about grenades and thrown melee? 18.104.22.168 14:12, August 19, 2011 (UTC)