This talk page is only for discussing improvements to the page "Smiling Jack".
It is not the place for general discussion or sharing stories about the topic of this article. Please use the forums for these purposes.
He does remain hostile after you nick his gun. He did however manage to pick up/find three combat shotguns after a while, then a switchblade, then after running around no less than two hunting rifles. Then he died because I missed the weapons too much. Mirar 17:29, 13 November 2008 (UTC)
- Wrong. After loading the game, he was no longer hostile. He even agrees to repair the now broken Terrible Shotgun for 245 caps. Mirar 17:36, 13 November 2008 (UTC)
I believe this guy is an homage to Smiling Jack from the PC RPG, Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines. Same names but could just be a coincidence. 126.96.36.199 20:31, 1 January 2009 (UTC)Wastoid
After killing Smiling Jack and looting his corpse, I quickly went to his stash. After grabbing all the ammo and weapons I wanted, I noticed that not only did he have a key for the AntAgonizer's lair, but also for Knick Knack's stash. Thought it was kind of odd...bug maybe? --188.8.131.52 07:45, 20 April 2009 (UTC)KillerAJD
- The same thing happened to me recently after looting his stash. But instead I found both the Andale Shed and Andale Basement keys in the locker. It was the craziest thing. Tallon05 22:55, 19 May 2009 (UTC)
- Perhaps, because of his kleptomanical nature, he may have been trading with the people who would normally have thesekeys, and stole them? Wanderer Lao 03:31, 20 May 2009 (UTC)
- The same thing happened to me as well. He had A LOT of keys. I reloaded my save, though, and they weren't there, so it must be random...--FlameWolf 14:27, 6 June 2009 (UTC)
- This bugger stole my ol painless! it was in his store inventory after i killed him. TheLastNinJew 17:14, 30 June 2009 (UTC)
- He stole my gauss rifle THAT BASTARD!
- Yeah, I'm pretty sure he pickpockets you or something. When i checked his inventory he had a lot of my keys, 76 out of the 112 frag grenades i went in there with, and my ghoul mask. I was pisssssed.
- He stole my gauss rifle THAT BASTARD!
- According to G.E.C.K. Crime only the player can commit crime minor theft of object i.e. pickpocket. --Cryopain 06:55, November 12, 2010 (UTC)
"News report:Smiling jack was found today with his skeleton pulled out his ass,we ask charon a bigass ghoul wearing hellfire,what happened"
News reporter:"THANK YOU CHARON!" Butter 17:17, 30 June 2009 (UTC)
Resident Evil 4?
Just a thought, entirely conjecture, but perhaps Smiling Jack is a reference to The Merchant from RE4? The Raiders are sort of like the Ganados since they are a hostile faction that likes mutilation and torture, and The Merchant is the only one out of them that is helpful to the player. In Fallout 3, we have the Raiders, that "anarchistic band of ruffians" who are hostile to virtually everyone, and also torture and mutilate, and Smiling Jack, who is a Raider, is the only person willing to help out the player by buying and selling. Granted, this may be a stretch, but I was hoping for some input before I do anything with this. Wanderer Lao 14:14, 3 May 2009 (UTC)
Eh...good similiarities.Werewolfhell 16:11, 8 June 2009 (UTC)
Broken steel glitch
Upon downloading broken steel everytime i go to "Visit" smiling jack i find him sunk into the floor.weird Werewolfhell 16:11, 8 June 2009 (UTC)
Hostile on Reload?
I'm playing on the 360. I shot the Terrible Shotgun out of Jack's hand and then ran off with it. He stayed hostile as I escaped the Foundry. Initially, he continued to stay hostile even after I saved and reloaded the game. It took 3 reloads before he stopped being hostile.
Anyone care to confirm that it takes multiple reloads or that it's random if he stops being hostile on reload? 184.108.40.206 06:39, 14 July 2009 (UTC)
Why is there nothing in the article about what he sells? It's all about how to get the terrible shotgun (shouldn't that be in the discussion page anyway?)
He's only good for the shotgun. He's otherwise useless 220.127.116.11 00:51, November 7, 2009 (UTC)
Good to see you again?
Anyone else have Smiling Jack say Good to see you again even when they never even met him before? The other wierd thing is that the option to choose "See you later" is dimmed out as if it was choosen previously. Has anyone else experienced this bug? Oh and before anyone goes questioning me with something like "you probably talked to him earlier in the game and just forgot",understand that i never met him in the game before for a fact because i have never even been to evergreen mills before. It was a "newly discovered" location for me. So the entire trip,finding evergreen mills,killing the behemoth,going into the bazzar,killing smiling jack,was all done in one single trip,no return trips. Can anyone else confirm this has happened to them. Lionheart777 23:35, June 29, 2010 (UTC)
--I just had it happen to me and thought it was odd too.
- It's a stock greeting. Odd, to be sure, but not really a bug per se. As far as the goodbye being dimmed out, that's normal, if you've talked to someone else with the same assigned voice before and the response he gave to the same dialogue option was the same as the one the NPC you're talking to will give if you choose that dialogue option. --Kris 02:18, September 5, 2010 (UTC)
--I can confirm this happening to me as well. The first time, the conversation went as normal. I reloaded after the conversation and what should have been my first conversation transpired instead as 'good to see you again'. Only after closing the game, restarting and reloading did he go into his speech again. I think it's as simple as the game not clearing the memory properly -- go figure.