This talk page is only for discussing improvements to the page "Throwing spear".
It is not the place for general discussion or sharing stories about the topic of this article. Please use the forums for these purposes.
Just wondering if they have the ability to pick up after being thrown, but I guess I'll have to wait to find out.Addamthecomic 20:27, August 15, 2010 (UTC)
- Yeah it could go either way. Rock-It launcher ammo can be retrieved if you can find it, as can arrows in TES IV: Oblivion if they're not enchanted/fired from an enchanted bow (though this isn't always true, unenchanted ones disappear after enough time, and sometimes if you're fast enough, you can pick up enchanted ones if they miss, or if the target is noncorporeal such as ghosts, or hard-surfaced such as skeletons). I'm gonna say probably to this.
- that also leaves the question; will it be like in oblivion, where it only takes damage if it does damage to an npc. Addamthecomic 03:49, August 16, 2010 (UTC)
- Makes you wonder why arrows/spear gun don't appear in the game. A good way to deliver poison and for it to have some affect before a secondary attack on the target. One of my strategies in F3 was to cripple a Deathclaw with the dart gun, then finish it off with a shottie - much harder now in FNV. Trying to use a throwing spear is useless, since the time it takes you to swap weapons you are half dead from a Deathclaw attack.
- This was most likely removed because it made every strong enemy extremely easy to kill, especially considering how many darts can be found in game and the fact that the poison is a quality of the gun and not applied. You could basically carry just the dart gun around and kill ANY enemy you encounter including behemoths with no strategy required.
I allways love using things that you can vissualy see in your victim. Time for some liver shots!--Billytheboy 21:41, October 10, 2010 (UTC)
I was really excited that they brought it back, but after buying one early on in the game from the Mojave Outpost and testing it out, apparently you can't retrieve your spear. One shot, one kill, one time. It was a huge let down, I was really hoping it'd be as Addanthecomic mentioned, but alas, no. Has anyone else encountered this? --JessKa89 18:37, October 30, 2010 (UTC)
Its not really a big deal when you look at how many you can and will find, i was against the legion and i had like 200 throwing spears after a while, if you need more just swing by the legion raiding camp or by the broc flower cave etc, youl find as many as you need on the respawning legionaires.
Strange looking...[edit source]
I noticed in third person the throwing spear is on your side. Maybe im just picky but it looks pretty dumb... Should'nt it be on your back or soemething?
Technically, yes, but the game's mechs are probably just assuming it along with any other melee weapons that would appear at your side while at rest. So it's just a matter of game programming, not oversight. --JessKa89 08:31, January 13, 2011 (UTC)
"You can recieve them if you are on friendly or neutral terms with the Legion."[edit source]
Can anyone confirm this? I am friendly with the Legion (Liked) and I have not received any throwing spears, they need to make it possible to receive a steady stream of the general "throwing" weapons instead of them ALL being really rare for those who do not want to kill the Legion, plus with the new Knife Throwing Spears, you can not get them unless you save a ton from the dlc, and the workbench items you can make from the dlc require items specifically from the dlc that you cannot get. WTF?--Forerunner93 19:21, March 25, 2011 (UTC)
- More spears can be found if the player is an enemy of the Legion because they can be looted from dead legionaries by the truckload. --Cartman! 00:38, April 12, 2011 (UTC)
Glitchy stacking?[edit source]
I have a lot of trouble keeping track of these in my inventory. Sometimes one spear will be listed separately from the rest, even if it's not equipped. Sometimes the separate one seems to have some damage/wear, which makes no sense since these weapons are single-use. And sometimes all but one of the spears disappear, meaning I don't know how many I'm carrying unless I try to drop them or give them to a companion. It's a real headache since I don't always know whether I need to pick up more from a fallen legionnaire after a fight.
- Sorry, forgot to log in. That was me. Hapaxlegomena 00:18, April 25, 2011 (UTC)
Invisible in inventory off sleeping Legion NPCs[edit source]
I'm not sure if this happens everywhere or if it's just the Legion Raid Camp, but I keep trying to collect the spears off corpses that I've killed while they were sleeping and the spears do not appear in my inventory unless I drop what's already there. Even then, after I drop THOSE spears and pick up whatever is on the corpse, the spears will still vanish and make it very misleading on how many I actually have. Interestingly, this happens only when the spears are taken from NPCs who were asleep. If they come from an awake corpse, then the spears appear "normally" instead of "hidden". Then again, only one NPC was not asleep when I tested this that had spears. I'm going to go find the patrol that's (usually) somewhere around here in order to test this a bit more and will report back my findings.
But regardless of what they are, will someone else check this out preferably on the Xbox and see if it's right or not? Remember, sleeping corpses seem to be the bugged ones. (Unless I'm just that "lucky"...) --Vertria 17:46, April 28, 2011 (UTC)
- It does not appear to only affect sleeping Legion NPCs. I found the patrol I mentioned in my last post and had the same thing happen. I picked up all of their throwing spears (the Recruit Decanus that was among the group one by one, the Recruit Legionary by hitting the "loot all" button, the Veteran Legionary the whole stack at once) and not a single one of them was added to my visual inventory. I'll find ANOTHER Legion group after I burn through these four spears and then attempt to pick the ones off the new group up and see what happens. I'll also save before I pick them up because this only appears to have happened after I loaded a save.
- On a personal note, I apologize for not being smart and reading over the "posting guidelines" prior to these posts... I just wanted to get a response back on this particular issue ASAP. --Vertria 17:46, April 28, 2011 (UTC)
- After a wee bit more testing, I found that if I use what is appearing in my inventory, it will leave what appears in my inventory as one, no matter how many I throw. When equipped, the full number of spears I'm supposed to have is there, as well. Picking up more spears does not affect the visible total and dropping the one visible one resets the total so it will show in my inventory how many I truly have. There is only one more test that I can do and that is backing out of the game entirely by both quitting the game and restarting my Xbox. After I find a few more Legion guys to pick off, that will be my next test. --Vertria 18:06, April 28, 2011 (UTC)
- It seems as though it is utterly random. I performed my next test as outlined in my previous post and was able to pick the spears up just fine. I'm still going to add it to the "Bugs" portion of the main page beginning with "Occasionally" and ending with "Needs confirmation". --Vertria 18:34, April 28, 2011 (UTC)
Outdated Data[edit source]
The advice for Throwing Spears about Heavy Handed is no longer correct with the latest patch, which greatly increases Throwing Spears damage AND critical damage. So, I deleted that entire section.
--ADWCTA 02:20, June 7, 2011 (UTC)
i found wy[edit source]
its a pilum and i think i found wy cant be pick up ``The iron shank was the key to the function of the pilum. The weapon had a hard barbed tip but the shank itself was not properly tempered. This deliberate 'un-tempering' would cause the shank to bend after impact, thus rendering the weapon useless to the enemy`` http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilum --Atila12346 02:57, September 10, 2011 (UTC)