|For an overview of combat armor variants throughout the Fallout series, see combat armor.|
Tenpenny (top) and Rivet City (bottom) security uniforms
Background[edit | edit source]
Modelled after the human silhouette and designed to provide balanced protection that does not limit mobility on the battlefield, combat armors are a diverse family of personal body armor of varying degrees of sophistication, from the earliest iterations of the armor developed by the United States Army to the cutting-edge riot gears that came into use prior to the Great War.
The first modern type of combat armor developed by the United States Army to the cutting-edge riot gears that came into use prior to the Great War. consisted of individual armored plates manufactured from synthetic fibers attached to standard load-carrying equipment of the infantryman. The individual components included a combat helmet issued with matching goggles in hazardous environs, front and back ballistic plates, and a pair of axillary protectors. Additional forearm protectors were issued to frontline troops. The lower body was protected by a pair of thigh plates, worn together with a groin and kidney protector. The shins, knees, and feet were covered by frontal plates worn over standard combat boots.
The armor was typically worn in conjunction with standard Army fatigues or specialized uniforms designed for it, with various solid color camouflage patterns (including Arctic white, coyote brown, and olive drab). Rank indicators were typically painted on the axillary protectors, with the Army insignia and identification numbers printed on the back plate.
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
The Rivet City security uniform and the matching Rivet City security helmet are the standard protection for members of Rivet City security. Whereas the Tenpenny security uniform is worn by the guards of Tenpenny Tower, the Tenpenny security helmet can be found in the game files but is not actually used in the game.
The two security uniforms have the lowest damage resistance out of all combat armor variants, offering slightly less protection than even the Talon combat armor. Nonetheless, they provide better protection than most clothing worn in the wasteland, including merc outfits and raider armors, and convey a small bonus (+5) to small guns.
Rivet City security uniform[edit | edit source]
The black-colored Rivet City security uniform and helmet are worn by the Rivet City security guards at Rivet City. Visually, the uniform appears to be scratched and worn. It also seems to have a very faint camouflage pattern if looked at closely enough (more visible on the female version of the armor). The helmet comprises a black combat helmet and a Plexiglas face shield identical in appearance to the Vault 101 security helmet (See Vault 101 security armor) with 2 main differences, it has a higher damage resistance and can be equipped with eyewear like sunglasses but won't be visible when worn by a character with the exception of biker goggles and the ghoul mask.
Tenpenny security uniform[edit | edit source]
The khaki-colored Tenpenny security uniform is given to all of the security guards at Tenpenny Tower.
Variants[edit | edit source]
Armor[edit | edit source]
- Ranger battle armor
- Combat armor
- Talon combat armor
- Lag-Bolt's combat armor (Broken Steel)
- Winterized combat armor (Operation: Anchorage)
- Winterized medic armor (Mothership Zeta)
Helmet[edit | edit source]
- Ranger battle helmet
- Combat helmet
- Talon combat helmet
- Winterized combat helmet (Operation: Anchorage)
- Winterized medic helmet (Mothership Zeta)
Locations[edit | edit source]
- Rivet City security guards wear them. The uniforms can be obtained by planting items (better armor in this case) or looting the guards after they are killed.
- Dusty of Big Town, who wears one of the helmets, is the only character to wear a part of a Rivet City uniform without living in Rivet City.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- When male characters equip the Rivet City security helmet, some of the player facial texture, mainly the eyebrows will change much like when you add facial hair for the first time to a clean cut player . This will change back when you remove the helmet.
- When worn by a female character, the Tenpenny security uniform has the green sleeves from standard combat armor. Bethesda used the standard combat armor mesh with an alternate texture, however the 3D index for Arms02 was mistakenly set to 4 instead of 2 causing the texture error.
- The above bug isn't an issue for the Fallout:3 GOTY addition. A female character wears the Tenpenny security armor without the texture clash. The color is exactly as seen in game.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- The Army helmet is presented in the game as an older type of helmet, issued to uniformed troops who do not use the standard set of combat armor: Clearly visible in the tutorial segment and later on countless dead bodies throughout the Commonwealth.
- Riot gear variants available in Lonesome Road.
- Riot gear variants available in Lonesome Road.
- Visual inspection of the Army helmet in Fallout 4 shows that its material is nearly identical to modern combat helmet materials, such as the Spectra or Dyneema fibers.
- Only Operation Anchorage soldiers are shown wearing them, they are absent from domestic armor.
- Armor appearance in Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas.
- As shown in Fallout 4.
- US Army combat armor in Lonesome Road has the rank insignia of a Private.
- Ranger combat armor in Fallout 3.