In the next few weeks, your wiki will be migrated to a Fandom.com domain. Learn more here.
|For an overview of Tesla cannon models in the Fallout series of games, see Tesla cannon.|
The Tesla cannon is a pre-War designed shoulder-mounted heavy directed energy weapon, designed to replace conventional anti-tank weapons. Based on Nikola Tesla's designs, the weapon entered limited production before the war and remains a rare sight in the wasteland. However, it remains a powerful tool in the hands of a skilled user, as the focused energy blast will not only deliver massive damage to the target, but the nature of the blast will also deliver a potent electric shock.
Near the end of the war between the Brotherhood and the Enclave in the Capital Wasteland, the Brotherhood's scribes under the Order of the Sword worked to build their own Tesla Canons to more effectively counter the enclave's VB-02 Vertibird fleet. To do so, the Lone Wanderer was tasked with retrieving a PPE Tesla Coil from Olney Powerworks, an experimental piece of pre-war technology.
The modified Tesla canon employed by Lyons' Brotherhood of Steel is far more powerful than the pre-war Tesla canon. Discharging a large electrical impulse upon impact with a much larger area of effect. This explosive damage makes the Lyon's model far more suitable for anti-Vertibird use.
It is a unique variant of the Tesla cannon. The Tesla-Beaton prototype looks like the regular Tesla cannon, but with an orange glow instead of blue (yet the beam it fires remains blue), and a fully encased energy emitter. It also has several exposed wires and various lights attached to the casing, giving it a more makeshift appearance. Prior to patch 126.96.36.1992, each shot expended 45 electron charge packs, but it now expends 6 electron charge packs per shot, with a magazine capacity of 24, also, the patch removed the prototype's AOE blast damage. Unlike the original Tesla cannon, it only has half the HP. This is likely due to it being in the prototype stage. Because of this issue, the need for constant repair makes it a less practical weapon for repeated use.
- Tesla cannon, the "common" variant.
- Elijah's jury-rigged Tesla cannon , a unique Tesla cannon that was repaired and modified by Father Elijah.
|Name||Type||Dmg/shot||DPS||Att/sec||Crit mult||Crit dmg||Spread||AP cost||Ammo||Ammo cap||Weight||Item HP||Value||Stat Req.||Notes|
|Tesla cannon||Electrical cannon||80 + 20(2s)||107.4 + 20||1.3||x2||40||0.1||37||ECP||20||8||80||8700||Energy Weapons:100 Strength:8||Uses 5 EPC per shot|
|Tesla-Beaton prototype||Electrical cannon||90 + 25(2s)||120.8 + 25||1.3||x2||45||0.08||37||ECP||24||8||40||12525||Energy Weapons:100 Strength:8||Uses 6 ECP per shot|
|Elijah's jury-rigged Tesla cannon||Electrical cannon||85 + 20(2s)||134.2 + 20||1.6||x1.5||45||0||37||ECP||30||8||50||13500||Energy Weapons:100 Strength:8||Uses 5 ECP per shot|
The Tesla-Beaton prototype can be found at the crashed Vertibird next to a skeleton, near the old nuclear test site far southeast. The weapon is found in poor condition. Use caution, however, as there may be up to six hardened Mister Gutsies and four hardened sentry bots standing guard.
- The Tesla-Beaton prototype is the one of the most expensive weapons to repair to 100% from poor condition at over 20,000 caps, rivaling Gatling lasers and plasma casters.
- When repairing this weapon, it is recommended the player uses Weapon repair kits as only 4-5 are required for a full repair from poor condition costing around 100 caps for components such as Wonderglue and scrap metal.
- The glow on the outside shows the arcing electricity to be orange in color, but if looking down the barrel in third person, it looks green.
- Because the Tesla-Beaton uses 6 electron charge packs per blast (which only accounts the fact that you fire once), it's only possible to get 1 empty electron charge pack from firing the Cannon, the same with all energy weapons that uses more than 1 cell per shot.
- Due to it previously firing only 1 shot per reload, it ejects electron charge packs every shot which is strange considering only one is loaded. Also, the electron charge pack will not appear after one shot is fired, and the end of the cannon is retracted, but it still ejects another per shot.
Behind the scenes
- A Tesla cannon was first planned for inclusion in Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel 2, as a "high-powered mass-cannon throwing tessellated plasma forward in an orgy of death and destruction", assembled from parts found during the game (including a Tesla coil).
- Tesla's own design for such a weapon was the Teleforce, a particle beam weapon.
- The weapon's name is a reference to Kate Beaton, a webcomic artist whose comics have featured Nikola Tesla several times.
- Crashed Vertibird will not appear. If reloading a save near the crash site after picking up the weapon the robots will spawn all around you. Sometimes the robots surrounding the
- After patch 1.5/188.8.131.524, when looking from third person, the Tesla-Beaton prototype will eject the electron charge pack in the back of the cannon after the first shot, and then seemingly eject electron charge packs out of nowhere during any shots after the first one. This can be remedied by reloading after each shot, though it is not recommended.
- In some cases, the clear encasing on the cannon will not show the Tesla coil animation and instead always stay glowing orange, reloading a saved game or fast traveling will fix this.
Firing the Tesla-Beaton prototype in Zion
- Future Weapons Today
- Plot of Shock Value.
- Tristan's dialogue
- Gameplay differences between the Tesla cannon in Broken Steel and the Tesla cannon in Fallout: New Vegas, as well as Tristan's dialogue confirm this as the modification necessitating the Tesla Coil.
- Hark! A Vagrant - comic by K.Beaton featuring Tesla.