The Pitt Bridge
Fallout 3 locations project
The Pitt Bridge
Background[edit | edit source]
It is the remains of the reconstructed Wabash Bridge which was remodeled after Pittsburgh's 10th Street Bridge, serving as the only way in or out of the city. It's about medium sized, and is inhabited by a Pitt raider, a mole rat, two dogs, and three wildmen. The Monongahela River under the bridge is highly irradiated up to deadly levels, so going for a swim is not recommended.
The Pitt raiders placed mines and other traps to stop slaves from escaping across the bridge. A lone sniper effectively eliminates any the mines miss.
If the wrecked vehicles scattered about on the bridge are an indication, it seems that shortly after the war National Guard troops attempted to enter Pittsburgh via the bridge but were stalled by heavy traffic as survivors attempted to flee the city.
Layout[edit | edit source]
At the south end of the bridge, there is a wildmen camp. Also, not far from this end there is a Pitt raider with a sniper rifle on a jury-rigged walkway. The northern end of the bridge serves as the entrance to Downtown. The bridge is scattered with derelict cars, creating a winding maze throughout.
Related quests[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The shoreline and water are more irradiated than any body of water in the Capital Wasteland (around 350 on the river bank and around 500 in the water). Drinking the water yields another 400 rads, but no health.
- There is a raider sniper at the very top of the bridge. If you kill him and climb up the scaffolding on the pedestrian walkway, you can get his sniper rifle and loot several boxes of ammunition. Even if you sign on with Ashur, this Pitt raider is always hostile.
- Even if the player has disarmed the mines that kill the runaway slaves, they will still be killed by hidden, scripted explosions.
- The Pitt Bridge appears to be modeled after the South 10th Street Bridge of Pittsburgh, which in itself seems to take styling cues from San Francisco's Golden Gate bridge, but was in fact built earlier.
- If the player has a large amount of Rad-X and many, many RadAways, they may be able to venture into the water. As soon as you first see the bridge, turn left and begin swimming downward. If you perform the glitch that undoes the water-clouding effect, you should be able to see a mole rat corpse at the bottom of the river.