The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
A template in this article or section is missing some data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
This article has missing audio files. You can help The Vault by uploading them.
And the sun will rise in the north! No! the northwest! For forty-four days and sixty-seven nights! And we'll never notice! You don't know, you can't know. Little fools. You wish you knew! You wish! But only I know! Only me... only me... only me... The sky will fall! The Earth will rise! The stars will shine open their toothy grins and caress the sun with their love! Oh... God... it hurts. My head... why doesn't it ever stop hurting... why? Please... please... I can hear it! Moving! Pulsing! Just leave me alone! Not one step further! Not one! Come no closer! I'll do it! I'll blow us ALL to hell! All of us! Me, you... and the worm... Beware, worm! I shall destroy you! With the fire of this small sun before me! BEWARE WORM! Not one step further! Hungry... hungry... so hungry. What? No. I'm not hungry. The worm is hungry. Hungry for me, for you, and for fire. THE SUN! IT BURNS! Why does it burn? Why have we put the sun into a jar? And what did we do with that jar? We broke it all over our little world... In fourteen hundred and ninety-two, your mother and my mother were hanging up clothes around the mulberry bush... Fire, fire, burning bright... burning... fire... pain, misery, peace, love, murder, death, death, death... love... Trees! So many trees! To the north! But be careful... the trees... are deadly, and the trees too will be consumed in the belly of the great fat worm! A great crack shall open in the Earth and swallow the non-believers! And they shall weep! Weep! Weep! Tears and salt and earth and dirt! Try new BLAMMO! Soap! Blasts stains out! Blasts the whole world out! We've all been BLAMMO'd!”
The Preacher (simply called wastelander in-game) is a crazed inhabitant of Seward Square in Fallout 3.
The Preacher is standing on the second floor of a building in an alleyway west of the Ranger compound entrance on Seward Square. From there he preaches mad "logic" to anyone that can hear him. He rants about the apocalypse, the sun, his headache and an evil worm that he plans to blow up. The alley he overlooks has been rigged with frag mines and mini nukes that he detonates if you try to get close to him. There is a hostage (another wastelander) on one end of the alley you can talk to about the booby-trapped alley and the Preacher.
Interactions with the player character
|This character has no special interactions.|
- The Lone Wanderer can talk to the hostage and, with a Charisma check, convince him to confront the preacher for negative Karma. This will result in him running towards the preacher but being blown up by the mini nukes and the preacher dying as well.
- Speaking to the hostage once the preacher is dead (assuming the Lone Wanderer killed him before he could set off the explosion event) will result in no dialogue options but the hostage will comment on how quiet it is now. He will still stay in the same place however, and there is no way to "release" the hostage.
|Random wasteland outfit|
Drops on death
- If you are looking at the preacher when he detonates, he waves at you.
- The Lone Wanderer can climb up to the preacher's perch by piling barrels or other junk. There is nothing of value to loot though.
- Be aware that even if you remove all the mines and mini nukes, approaching him will still cause a massive explosion, as the event is scripted.
- He appears to have knowledge of Oasis. (It's possible he was driven mad by the Treeminders' "purification" ritual.)
- If killed, his corpse will be in possession of an ear, suggesting he is a "good" character, although killing him does not affect karma.
- If you throw a frag grenade in the second floor where the preacher is, there's a possibility that few mini nukes will fly down from there.
- "Not one step further! Not one! Come no closer! I'll do it! I'll blow us all to hell! All of us! Me, you... and the worm..."
- "Hungry, hungry, hungry so hungry... what, no I'm not hungry, the worm is hungry. Hungry for me, hungry for you, and for fire."
- "Beware worm, I shall destroy you with the fire of this small sun before me. BEWARE WORM!"
- "A great crack shall open in the earth and swallow the nonbelievers! And they shall weep, weep, weep! Tears of salt and earth and dirt!"
- "Trees! So many trees! To the north! But be careful... the trees... are deadly, and the trees too will be consumed in the belly of the great fat worm!"
- The player may find the Preacher dead and the hostage missing, but all of the explosives still in place.
- The Preacher will finish his sentence even after you kill him.
- There is often a possibility that the preacher may not be killed by the explosion (usually because the player has managed to disarm the mines while wearing a Stealth Boy). This may stop any interaction with either the preacher or hostage, and the message saying that they are fleeing will appear even though they are walking normally.
The Preacher appears only in Fallout 3.