The Sink is a periphery of The Think Tank in Big MT in 2281.
Originally owned by Mobius, The Sink served as a test bed for several personality subroutines. When Mobius abandoned it, he removed the personality chips and flung over the balcony, disabling many of the various functions of its modules. After meeting with Dr. Klein and the other researchers, The Sink becomes a home for the Courier and can be upgraded with holotapes found throughout the Big MT.
The Sink consists of five rooms connected to a central hub containing the Sink Central Intelligence Unit, Book Chute and the Sink Auto-Doc. It contains a workbench and a reloading bench with a crate beside it, and a locker above each of them. A small map shows most of the locations in the Big MT. The main entrance foyer contains both a Nuka-Cola vending machine and a Sunset Sarsaparilla vending machine along with exits to The Think Tank and Big MT.
A small agricultural room contains an electric hot plate along with the biological research station, space for growing plants and a Sink for washing up. A large living room consists of a couch and table overlooking a large screen displaying a loop of the Old World Blues opening slideshow. Toaster sits on a table in the corner alongside Light Switch 01 which is mounted on the wall. The bedroom is equipped with a queen sized bed, a set of lockers, chest, footlocker, safe, and several shelves. Additionally, Muggy's original location is in the corner and Light Switch 02 is located here to the left of the door leading to the living room. Behind a door, initially locked at the beginning of Old World Blues, the player's brain, spine, and heart can be seen if they are currently removed from the Courier's body.
- Only the CIU is available by default, other appliances require holotapes to be retrieved from across the Crater
|Sink Central Intelligence Unit
- Master interface for all personality matrices
- Sells items (second highest caps amount in the game)
- Repairs items to 100%
- Sells weapon mods for Big MT weapons after upgrades
- Received at the beginning of the add-on automatically.
- Influencing People: Retrieving holotapes adds weapon mods into the Sink's offer:
- One-time trait change
- Cosmetic surgery (change facial data)
- Full healing services
|Y-17 medical facility
|Biological Research Station
||X-22 botanical garden
|Blind Diode Jefferson
- Changes frequencies on the sonic emitter. Essentially a weapons workbench.
|Higgs Village's House #108
||House 101 in Higgs Village
|Light Switch 01
|Light Switch 02
- Muggy will process the following junk into usable items
- After upgrading it, Muggy will provide the following once per day
This tiny neurotic Securitron has an addiction for all things relating to dishware, like cups, plates, and especially mugs. Its second upgrade allows it to create a small supply of energy cells, scrap electronics and other things once every day.
- Unlimited source of clean drinking water, reducing dehydration by 25 per drink (200 without Hardcore).
- Upgrade allows for filling the following containers, creating a purified water bottle.
- The stock of the Sink is supplied by tiny robots that gather the materiel from the surrounding Big MT itself.
- There is a chart on the wall displaying all upgrades made to the stealth suit Mk II.
- In the Sink bedroom, there is a Securitron blueprint above Muggy's original position and a movie poster for "RALPHIE", which depicts an eyebot on a similar long journey to that of ED-E's.
- The player can find a dead Followers doctor at the base of the tower, wearing a Followers lab coat and carrying some stimpaks.
- The force field in front of the balcony can be disabled by shooting it with an upgraded sonic emitter, but the player still cannot climb or jump off the balcony onto the roofs below.
- The player can sometimes see lobotomites moving around on the ground below, but it is extremely difficult to shoot at them. Despite its appearance, the balcony railing blocks bullets, and it is almost impossible to get high enough to shoot over the railing unless you jump and shoot while in the air. Because of its curving trajectory, a grenade launcher will be more effective here.
- One of the disadvantages for having this as the player's main base is that if the player has any followers, they will have to be dismissed every-time the player decides to use the transponder. This can become a hassle as the player then has to go and tell the followers to follow them again.
The Sink appears only in the Fallout: New Vegas add-on Old World Blues.
Behind the scenes
- David Lieu created the tileset and handled the propping and lighting in the location.
- The Sink as a location as a homebase was inspired by the menagerie of homebase mods made by modders.
The CIU in the sink does not always give you the caps for the items that you sell. It is recommended that the player save before any transactions so that they do not lose the items to the CIU.
- All My Friends Have Off Switches.
The game may crash upon ending the initial conversation with the Sink Central Intelligence Unit, making it impossible to begin the quest
The force field on the balcony is not present even at the beginning of the add-on.
- Old World Blues, returning to the Mojave, and then returning to Big MT.
When entering the Sink, the two white horsenettle plants can be seen falling from the ceiling down through the planter and through the floor over and over. Also, the plants can only be harvested once. The plants may be harvestable again after completing
- cup, it will roll 'into' the ground and re-emerge in between the workbench and the exit to the observation area.
In the bedroom, on the right side of the bed, if you drop an item such as a
When throwing a proton throwing axe or a proton inversal throwing axe anywhere in the Sink, sparks appear out of the wall right behind the workbench.The CIU has a 32,000 caps level glitch. If you let its caps total get above 32,000 it will not let this total go below that level. It will still accept anything you sell it but will not give you caps if it will take the caps total below 32,000. It will also do this at 64,000. Use the Buy/Sell trick with a broken and a perfect item to get around this.