The Surgeon's lab coat
|For an overview of various Vault jumpsuits in the Fallout series of games, see Vault jumpsuit.|
The Surgeon's lab coat
A rugged jumpsuit variant designed for heavy use among Vault-Tec machinery and infrastructure. Rather than extruded rubber, the suit uses a combination of denim - a quintessentially American material - and natural leather, combined to create a particularly rugged piece of equipment. The suit is less form fitting than other jumpsuit variants, but provides a good deal of comfort. Like other versions, it's a single-piece uniform, with a zipper down the front, leather armguards, and spacious pockets on the waist and thighs. Reinforced elbows and knees give it extra durability under heavy use, with the interface port over the left breast used for a variety of purposes. Depending on the job assignment, the jumpsuit is designed to accommodate a variety of belts, including simple leather bands for children, rugged multi-purpose belts for general use, and specialized equipment for utility, lab, and security work.
This unique version of the Vault lab uniform grants an additional bonus of +10 to Medicine on top of the Science bonus. Like the base item, it can be repaired with other science gear, like Doctor Li's outfit, Enclave scientist outfits, lab technician outfits, scientist outfits and Vault lab uniforms, but not Vault jumpsuits.
- Red Racer Factory: The Surgeon is found on the upper floor. Collecting the item is possible by simply shooting them. Pacifists can wear the ghoul mask instead (as the Surgeon is coded as a member of the feral ghoul faction and will become non-hostile), allowing acquisition by planting a better armor in their inventory and then stealing it once they equip the better item.
- The Courier: "Sarah, stop right there. Do you actually have any vault gear?"
Sarah Weintraub: "Okay, I do, but who wants a lame sensor module, or a nitrogen canister, anyway? All the popular stuff has been sold - especially the vault suits. I need to find more because people buy them like hot cakes."
(Sarah Weintraub's dialogue)
- Vault 21 terminals; Vault 21 Guest Terminal, Gift Catalogue
- Vault 21 terminals; Vault 21 Reception Terminal and Sarah's Terminal, Our Influential Friends.
- Different types of belts on the jumpsuits.
- Conceptual Design: "The Vault Suit
Designing, or redesigning the vault suit meant adhering to canon, and updating the textures and tactile feel for the detail we can achieve now in games. I opted for a more durable denim like material, something quintessentially American and, suited to carrying out vault tasks involving heavy machinery and crawling through metal pipes.
Overall, the vault suit seems to represent an Everyman/Everywoman uniform of conformity, and a blank canvas for accessorizing once the wearer had escaped into the harsh environment of the wasteland. Preserving the retro 50’s flavor seemed to support this, and I wanted the suit to feel at home in a classic 50’s sci-fi film like Forbidden Planet. The reinforced elbows and knees seemed to introduce a bit of that flair to the otherwise oppressively Orwellian environment."