|For an overview of Battle rifle models throughout the Fallout series, see Battle rifle.|
This Machine is a unique battle rifle chambered in .308 caliber round, holding up to eight rounds at a time and is received in excellent condition thanks to Contreras's personal access parts. Along the rifle's left side are the words "WELL THIS MACHINE KILLS COMMIES", giving reference that this gun was used by American soldiers during the Resource Wars against the communists. This rifle is effective in short- to mid-range combat due to the rifle's relatively wide spread.
Without Gun Runners' Arsenal, This Machine has no non-unique counterpart.
- Battle rifle , the common variant.
|Name||Type||Dmg/shot||DPS||Att/sec||Crit mult||Crit dmg||Spread||AP cost||Ammo||Ammo cap||Weight||Item HP||Value||Stat Req.|
|Battle rifle||Semi-auto rifle||48||92.6||1.9||x1||48||0.55||25||.308 round||8||9.5||300||1500||Guns:75 Strength:6|
|This Machine||Semi-auto rifle||55||117.9||2.1||x1||55||0.5||22||.308 round||8||9.5||600||2800||Guns:75 Strength:6|
- This Machine is received at the end of the unmarked quest Dealing with Contreras, either by Contreras if he isn't turned in, or by Carrie Boyd if he is.
- Prior to patch 22.214.171.1244, This Machine dealt 65 points of damage on normal and critical hits.
Behind the scenes
- Battle rifles are based off the M1 Garand, although they are not exact replicas.
- The name and the slogan carved into the rifle's side, "Well This Machine Kills Commies", is a reference to Woodie Guthrie's guitar sticker saying "This Machine Kills Fascists".
- This Machine assets are called "WeapNVBattleRifleUnique" in the game's files and the G.E.C.K., making it an unique weapon with no matching base variant. The base weapon, the battle rifle, was added to the game with the Gun Runners' Arsenal.
- In some games, This Machine will never degrade below 80%.
- The inscription on the left side of the rifle will sometimes disappear.
- When aiming down This Machine without true iron sights on, the magazine breech can appear in the open position.
- When aiming down sights, the iron sights are just a tad left of target, making long range sniping difficult.