The two generations of Vertibirds compared
Vertibird is a designation for a series of VTOL (Vertical Take Off and Landing) craft. These multipurpose tiltwing aircraft were developed by the United States military and rapidly became a primary gunship and transportation aircraft.
History[edit | edit source]
The original Vertibird was developed by the United States as a multipurpose tiltrotor aircraft. Following the success of what became known as the VB-01 Vertibird, the military commenced work on a superior model, hoping to improve on virtually every aspect of the original: Better armor, better weapons, better speed and cargo capacity, everything. When the Great War struck in 2077, the XVB02 Vertibird was still in prototype phase, scheduled to enter full military service in 2085. Limited trial runs were developed and pressed into service, including winterized models during the last stages of the Anchorage Reclamation
The second generation Vertibird was produced into two distinct versions: a transport design, with a large glass canopy, six non-retractable landing struts, a spacious cargo bay and seven bladed rotors for extra lift, and a gunship, with a heavily armored hull, four rotor blades, four retractable landing struts and better armament. These were used extensively in field operations on the West Coast, which include trading with the Salvatore family of New Reno, capturing of test subjects for the FEV Curling-13 research programme from Arroyo and Vault 13 and more. Around 2242, the Chosen One stole the Vertibird Plans from the Navarro base, making it possible that the Vertibird plans ended up in the hands of various factions of the wasteland. The destruction of the oil rig later that year has likely destroyed a large number of aircraft in the Enclave's service. When the Navarro military base was later conquered by the NCR, a Vertibirds stationed at the base were put into military service, used for transportation duties. One aircraft was assigned for transporting the NCR President, receiving a special white and green paint scheme and the designation Bear Force One.
In 2277, Enclave forces that relocated to the Capital Wasteland deployed a large fleet of Vertibirds to support their ground operations in the region. These gunships were used in a decidedly military capacity. When the Enclave suffered a defeat at the hands of the Lyons' Brotherhood of Steel, supported by the Lone Wanderer, a number of VB-02 aircraft were captured, both during the attack on Project Purity and the subsequent conquest of Adams Air Force Base. by the Brotherhood of Steel A large number of VB-01 craft were also pressed into service by the eastern division of the Brotherhood of Steel.
Variants[edit | edit source]
The VB-01 Vertibird was primarily used by United States Armed Forces prior to the Great War. Since then its only known operator has been the Brotherhood of Steel as its main transportation vehicle and gunship.
The VB-02 Vertibird was primarily used by the Enclave in post-War America. Since its defeat, Vertibirds have seen limited use by the New California Republic for transport of VIPs or special missions. The eastern division of the Brotherhood have captured a number of VB-02 Vertibirds in the Capital Wasteland, but their operational status is not known.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Cut content[edit | edit source]
When destroyed, the wreckage uses a slightly different texture set, including rotor markings and the emblem of what is likely to be the Enclave Air Force.
Design background[edit | edit source]
- The name "Vertibird" is the trademark for a toy helicopter playset popular in the 70's.
- Many design aspects of this aircraft appear to be inspired by the hovering insect, the dragonfly. For example, the six legged landing gear and twin bulges in the forward fuselage.
- The technical concept of wingtip-mounted, tilting engine-pods with rotors featuring a diameter between a classic aircraft propeller and a helicopter's main rotor has been used in several real-world-designs like the experimental aircrafts Bell XV-3, Curtiss-Wright X-19 or Bell X-22.
- A prominent tilt-rotor aircraft in current military service is the Bell-Boeing V-22 Osprey which is operated by both the United States Marine Corps and the United States Air Force.
Vertibird Designation[edit | edit source]
The designation "VB-02" would, in real-world US military usage, indicate that it is a bomber aircraft. As the Vertibird's primary roles appear to be transport and ground attack, the "VB" prefix seems to be simply intended as an abbreviation of Vertibird. In post-1962 US Department of Defense nomenclature, the transport variation's designation would probably be CV-2, meaning "cargo/transport VTOL, design number 2", with the gunship variant being "AV-2", meaning "Attack Purposed VTOL, design number 2".
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Fallout 2[edit | edit source]
Enclave soldiers in front of a Vertibird.
Fallout 3[edit | edit source]
Brotherhood of Steel Vertibird landing on mobile base crawler.
A gunship Vertibird outside Arlington Library.
A Winterized Vertibird landing in Operation Anchorage.
Concept art by Adam Adamowicz
Fallout: New Vegas[edit | edit source]
Enclave Vertibird in Remnants Bunker
- Enclave navaro Vertibird FNV front side.png
GECK view of the Enclave Vertibird
Fallout 4[edit | edit source]
Appearances in games[edit | edit source]
- Museum of Technology Vertibird placard: "This is a scaled model of a prototype military transport vehicle being developed by the U.S. Military. The XVB02 "Vertibird" is a VTOL ("Vertical Take Off and Landing") craft with an extremely durable armored fuselage and can be armored with a variety of offensive weapons and defensive countermeasures. This is the most advanced aircraft of its kind ever developed, and the military hopes to press them into service by 2085."
- A winterized Vertibird can be seen during the Anchorage Reclamation simulation, dropping off troops.
- Appearance of the craft in Fallout 2, Fallout 3, and Fallout: New Vegas.
- Help guard a secret transaction taking place in the desert.
- Events of Fallout 2.
- Vertibirds appear at Long 15, while another is used as Bear Force One by the NCR President.
- Events of Fallout 3.
- Fallout 4