The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
A template in this article or section is missing some data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
This article has missing audio files. You can help The Vault by uploading them.
Waking Cloud is a Sorrows tribal, and one of Daniel's first converts. Daniel saved her life when she was giving birth to her third child, and taught her how to properly deliver children. She then became the Sorrows' midwife, and has started to learn Daniel's Mormon faith. Waking Cloud speaks with a good level of English, indicating she has been learning for a while.
Waking Cloud had three children with her husband; however her husband was killed by a White Leg as one of the first Sorrows to be evacuated to the Grand Staircase. Daniel knows of this, but has kept it from Waking Cloud, fearing that placing such a heavy burden on her will only weaken her when her tribe needs her to be strong. Waking Cloud suspects that something is amiss, but trusts Daniel enough to know that he wouldn't keep anything important from her.
Interactions with the player character
|This character is a temporary party member.|
|This character starts quests.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
- A Family Affair: Waking Cloud is worried about her children and husband after they evacuated from the White Legs. Daniel knows the truth, but will you tell it to her?
- Chaos in Zion: Killing Waking Cloud (or another storyline-essential character) will start this quest.
- Rite of Passage: When asked about her yao guai gauntlet, Waking Cloud tells the player that it was her rite of passage.
- The Grand Staircase: Waking Cloud can serve as your guide into The Father's cave.
- The Advance Scouts: Walking Cloud will suggest that the player steal the White Legs war totem's to demoralize them.
- The Treacherous Road: She suggests to disarm the traps instead of kill the White Legs.
- River Monsters: She suggests destroying the yao guai's nest instead of taking them head on.
|Waking Cloud's outfit|
|Waking Cloud's yao guai gauntlet|
Datura antivenom x2
Purified water x5
Drops on death
- "When Salt-Upon-Wounds took New Canaan, he ordered the White Legs to salt the earth so nothing could grow again. What kind of monster could do that?"
- "Waking Cloud is my name. I am midwife to the Sorrows. It sounds ill-omened, no? "Midwife to sorrows.""
- "A Sorrow's Yao Guai Fist is a sacred symbol. It shows that we belong to the tribe and have willingly undertaken a dangerous quest to aid the tribe. Each Sorrow makes his own - and only after hunting and slaying a Yao Guai that threatened our people. Our shaman, White Bird, oversees the rites. Perhaps if you spoke to him, he would allow you to undertake such a quest."
- After Waking Cloud goes unconscious, she will sink into the ground. She occasionally resurfaces and floats around the PC, but once the player stops moving, she sinks into the ground again. This can be remedied by loading a save prior to the bug occurring.
- The Courier: "Have you known him long?"
Waking Cloud: "Six years. He attended the birth of my third child. It was a hard birth. The River nearly carried my water to the Father, and my child's with it. Daniel knew the ways of New Canaan's medicine. He stepped in and saved both of our lives. After the birth, I asked Daniel if he would teach me what he knew of childbirth. He agreed, and so here I am."
(Waking Cloud's dialogue)
- The Courier: "Tell me about Waking Cloud's family."
Daniel: "What uh... what do you want to know, exactly? I'm sure she could tell you much better than I."
The Courier: "Did you help the rest of her family leave Zion?"
Daniel: "I did."
The Courier: "What's the matter? Did something happen?"
Daniel: "Her three children are safe. They made it north weeks ago and met up with New Canaanites heading east. Her husband didn't make it. He died protecting their children from a White Leg attack. Do not tell Waking Cloud. She is one of the only Sorrows who can communicate easily with us and her tribe needs her to be strong right now."
The Courier: "It's her husband! Don't you think she has a right to know?"
Daniel: "To every thing, there is a season. Who are you or I to put this heavy burden on her now?"
The Courier: "You're the New Canaanite who's supposed help lead these people, not hide things from them."
Daniel: "I know. You're right. I shouldn't have hidden it from her in the first place. I just... we can't fail here again. Zion can't become the next New Canaan. The Sorrows don't deserve that. They don't deserve any of this. Sometimes I look at them and wonder if they would have been better off if those old trails had stayed forgotten. If we had never found any of them. Tell Waking Cloud if you think that's best. I won't stop you."
(Daniel (Honest Hearts)'s dialogue)
- The Courier: "Do you have any family?"
Waking Cloud: "I do. A fine husband and three children. I miss them each day, but I take comfort in knowing they are safe."
The Courier: "Safe? Where are they?"
Waking Cloud: "When we learned that Salt-Upon-Wounds had defiled Zion with his presence, Daniel ordered the children, the old, and the sick evacuated from the camp. My husband volunteered to lead the hunters that went with them for protection. I try not to worry about them, but we have had no news for so long, and Daniel seems sad when I ask him about it. Sad... and a little frightened."
The Courier: "I could talk to him, maybe he'll open up more to me."
Waking Cloud: "Perhaps he will. I sometimes feel he thinks he must protect me. If he has news, I would know of it."
(Waking Cloud's dialogue)