Welch is a location in Fallout 76.
Background[edit | edit source]
Established in 1894, the town of Welch grew to support the surrounding mines and region of Appalachia. In mid-2077, Appalachia entered into a period of unemployment unrest that was hastened by the replacement of human workers with robots by Hornwright Industrial Mining Company, a transition would be enforced by Ballot Measure 6 in the November 2077 election.. Faced with loss of employment, the town went into a slump of poverty as the new up-and-comer mining company Atomic Mining Services, that was thought to bring employment to the area, pulled out of a local project citing "technical failures". However, in Automated Mining Services's mission to mine rare and valuable metals, such as Ultracite, they then-attempted to forcibly-evict townspeople from their homes in order to extract the valuable metal, claiming that "they had resource rights to the land", after discovering new veins directing under the town. Faced with losing their homes after having already lost their livelihoods at a time when the world was already facing food and resource shortages during a war, the townspeople revolted against the agents of Automated Mining Services and engaged in armed conflict, that ultimately spread like wildfire throughout the region and brought the National Guard down to quell the unrest.
Points of interest[edit | edit source]
- Deceased member of the Order of Mysteries inside the ruined corner house south of the Welch Station.
- Weapons workbench in middle of town, outside.
- U-Mine It! vending machine by gas pumps on north side of town.
Notable Loot[edit | edit source]
- Holotapes and Notes
- Surveillance System Tape - 8/08/77: On floor of middle destroyed house on eastern side of town.
- Overseer's Journal, Entry 5: Inside a house on the east side of town.
- Eviction Notice Recording: The Kaminskis: Inside a skeleton's coffin, protruding out from a rock face on the northwest side of town, just behind the wrecked houses.
- Plans and Recipes
- Random crafting plan inside Duchess' safe, on desk inside second floor of house with blue mailbox,
- Random recipe on kitchen counter of house with blue mailbox; inside Duchess' safe, on counter of house due south of blue mailbox house.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
The town of Welch has a real-world counterpart in McDowell County, West Virginia. The in-game location is noticeably-smaller than its counterpart and lacks many notable locations such as the McDowell County Courthouse and the Welch Commercial Historic District. The city and therein McDowell County Coal were known in the 60's as a major source of fuel for the steel and electric power generation industries, but, like the in-game location, suffered loss of jobs in 1986, which led to miners leaving the town in search of employment elsewhere.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Welch appears in Fallout 76.