Fallout 3 locations project
The White House, or what's left of it...
Background[edit | edit source]
The White House was the official residence and principal workplace of the President of the United States, has been the residence of every U.S. president since John Adams in 1800. It has been destroyed by a point-blank nuclear detonation.
Location[edit | edit source]
Facing the barricaded avenue in front of the White House crater (with the rest of Pennsylvania Avenue behind the player), the manhole leading to the crater is located to the right, opposite the Hotel and Penn. Ave Northwest Metro station entrance.
Layout[edit | edit source]
The crater is a small area with a number of elevated platforms, remnants of the underground bunkers of the White House. The remnants of the executive residence are seen from where the southern lawn and portico of the White House would be.
The entire crater is heavily irradiated, at 7 rads/second. It is inhabited by several glowing ghouls. Followers might acquire the Fat Man for the fight, as it is perceived as a higher quality weapon, but since they do not understand the concept of splash damage, they can try to use micronuclear munitions in close combat. Caution is advised.
Notable loot[edit | edit source]
- Fat Man: At the concrete island on the top.
- 3 mini nukes: Next to the Fat Man.
- Pugilism Illustrated: In the utility tunnel leading to the crater, in the alcove to the right from the entrance.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- The entire area is heavily scaled down and lacks many landmarks that form the boundaries of the White House in real life. As a result, the crater clashes with almost perfectly intact buildings on the sides. More details at this link.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- It is possible to escape the boundaries of the map by jumping on the junk protruding from the sides of the crater.
- Fat Man and other loot are affected by physics bugs, which means they can be knocked around and even fall through the map. If they are not present, this is likely the case. The
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition p.430-431: "15.02: WHITE HOUSE UTILITY TUNNEL
The White House was destroyed when the bombs fell. The only access point is a manhole to a Utility Tunnel in the northwest part of the courtyard.
Stunt Gone Awry
At the crossroads is a rusting car. It appears a lunatic attempted to leap the car using a bike (which is farther up the tunnel). Outside, you appear in the ruins of the White House, still highly radioactive. The only living remains are a pair of frightening Glowing Ones. Face them, or flee to one of the concrete "island" on the column supports that are still standing, and blast them from here for some RadAway, and a grand prize."
(Fallout 3 Game of the Year Edition Tour of the Capital Wasteland)
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition p. 551: "Since the Brotherhood found this Presidential Metro access they’ve reinforced the only available entrance as their struggle to maintain this zone against Super Mutant incursions continues."