In the next few weeks, your wiki will be migrated to a Fandom.com domain. Learn more here.
X-8 research center
Fallout: New Vegas locations project
X-8 research center
This section is needed but has not been written yet. You can help The Vault by writing it.
X-8 is in the far east of the crater, resting atop a hill. It is surrounded by a number of police cyberdogs.
X-8 Central Facility
After entering, taking the left corridor will take you to the X-8 splicing facility terminal where you can splice creatures. Taking the left corridor leading into a room guard by two Mister Orderlys and grants access to the institutional test facility and the residential test facility. To the left of this door is the kennel filled with a few nightstalkers.
X-8 Institutional Test Facility
The Institutional Test Facility is modeled after an average American high school, except this high school is defended by automated hall monitor turrets and military cyberdogs. A hall lined with class rooms (the furthest of which contains leads a student record) to the central library (which contains another student record). The library leads to a teacher lounge which has stair leading up to hallway that enters the second floor of the library. The doorway leading out of the library on this floor leads to the ball storage room ("for jocks who like balls"). The same hallway has a doorway that leads to the X-8 testing facility.
X-8 Testing Facility
The X-8 testing facility is a winding series of hallways occupied by the occasional Protectron and lobotomite. The hallways have windows that overlook the institutional test facility's library as well as the residential test facility. The end of the hallway returns to the central facility.
X-8 Residential Test Facility
- The Dog and Robot Splicing Experiment Holotape can be found in the first room to the right of the main entrance. It lies on a table in the center of the room.
- There is combat armor and 4 proton throwing axes on the second floor of the kennel.
- The upgrade schematics for FIDO are in the kennel by the terminal. The key for the kennel must first be obtained in X-13 research facility.
- The Robot and Nightstalker Splicing Experiment Holotape can be found on top of one of the nightstalker kennels.
- Sonic emitter - Gabriel's bark at the end of the residential test, in a grave in a corner.
- The X-8 research center allows you to splice organisms together.
- Splicing together a lobotomite and a robot creates an X-8 robobrain. The robobrain will self-destruct after a short time of observing the new world around it.
- Splicing a robot and dog yields Roxie, a temporary cyberdog companion
- Splicing a lobotomite and a dog together, they will always end up a failed experiment and both will be dead. Upon failing an experiment for the first time you complete a challenge that rewards 100 XP.
- Splicing together a robot and a nightstalker will result in a robobrain that attacks a spot near the doorway with laser fire until it self destructs eight seconds later or is destroyed by the player.
- The terminals in the high school may change their location from test to test.
- After three tests at the terminal, 24 in-game hours must pass in order for the system to "restock" test subjects.
- On a wall in the high school area, "Why me, Mobius" is spelled out on the wall in large, physical letters. The letters 'W', 'H', 'Y', 'M' and 'E' were presumably taken from the alphabet on the wall in the downstairs classroom (the 'G' is also missing, but is found on the floor where it has fallen).
- If you climb a truck to the left side of the facility you can climb onto the roof, and the only item you can find up there is a baseball. Perhaps somebody hit it onto the roof?
Behind the scenes
- A terminal on level two mentions Project: Burke and Project: Hare. Burke and Hare were infamous 19th century serial killers who murdered people to sell their bodies as cadavers for anatomy classes. Project: Burke and Hare are both regarding procurement of bodies for scientific experimentation.
- The speech from the X-8 robobrain after being created is likely a reference to the Whale from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
- When you enter the facility, you can see two closed spaces where robotic hands are operating. The space on the right has a chemistry set which will display message "Children cannot use that" if activated. Console command must be used to get inside first.
|The following is based on the Wild Wasteland trait and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
- In the high school area there will be a Wild Wasteland moment where you will see the phrase "Wolverines" written on the wall. This is a reference to the movie Red Dawn, as the Wolverines is a resistance group comprised of high-schoolers, taken from the name of their football team, after their school (and America) is invaded by the Russians in the beginning of the movie.
- In the cyberdog training area, you may find another Wild Wasteland Moment where you will look in a window to find a few cyberdogs playing poker. It refers collectively to a series of sixteen oil paintings by C. M. Coolidge, commissioned in 1903 by Brown & Bigelow to advertise cigars. It is known in pop culture as just the "Dogs Playing Poker" paintings.
|End of information based on the Wild Wasteland trait.|
- It is possible to get stuck in the coffin found in the small laboratory.
- When loading the residential cyberdog guard test and possibly other tests, from the computer terminal to the left of the door to enter the testing facility, said door may glitch and disappear, showing a grey background and some distant objects (e.g. doors and a toolbox). the door will still be usable, and walking toward the Kennel will fix the glitch.
- Sometimes when standing on the force field on the second floor of the library, If a cyberdog attacks you he may warp through the ground.
- the front door to the facility might not load, and will prevent entrance entirely