Who... am I? I... feel different, awake, alive for the first time ever. What is this strange new world around me? What does it hold in store for a dreamer such as myself? Noooooooooo...”— X-8 robobrain
The X-8 robobrain is a gene spliced robot located in the Big MT in 2281.
Background[edit | edit source]
This variant of the robobrain was created by the gene splicing of a lobotomite and another robobrain, an experiment run in the Big MT to see the effects of gene splicing humans and robots, which subsequently gave the original brain of the robot a state of awareness.
Location[edit | edit source]
When you enter the X-8 research center, there will be a room to the left. There, in this room, will be the X-8 splicing facility terminal. Once accessed, you have the option to splice together different creatures. If you splice together a lobotomite and a robobrain you then create the X8 robobrain. Unfortunately for the X8 robobrain, it will explode shortly after becoming self aware. Prior to exploding it will wander around the platform it was created on, asking questions about its own existence.
You cannot interact with it except to destroy it, watch it self-destruct, and/or loot its remains.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- You can make three spliced mechanical monstrosities per day before the system requires restocking.
- It appears to have no real point in the game aside from comic relief.
Notable quotes[edit | edit source]
- "Who... am I? I... feel different, awake, alive for the first time ever. What is this strange new world around me? What does it hold in store for a dreamer such as myself? Noooooooooo..."
- "What... I feel like this has happened before. Yet I feel awake for the first time? What is going on? What is this strange new world around me? What does it hold in store for a dreamer such as myself? Noooooooooo..."
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- The questions and dialogue prior to the robobrain's demise are a lot like the conversations made by Johnny 5, another self-aware robot, from the film Short Circuit.
- It is also possible that it relates to the sperm whale from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, who is created (albeit accidentally) by advanced science, 300 miles above the surface of an alien planet, and enjoys a brief but exciting journey of discovery which is cut short by its sudden death. This scene is also referenced in a special encounter in Fallout 2.