ZAX (Boulder Dome)
|The following is based on Van Buren and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
ZAX has arrived at every solution”— -Goddard.
Background[edit | edit source]
Time kills machines as it kills humans, and I have felt the decay, the slow blindness, the inability to... remember”— -ZAX.
This ZAX module was constructed somewhat erroneously two years before the discovery of the New Plague. Put simply, only two years after he was made, a better computer A.I. (ODYSSEUS) was created to outperform nearly all of the contemporary ZAXes.
As of 2253, the ZAX and ODYSSEUS had a competitive rivalry, where both were researching and making calculations about the New Plague. Of course, ZAX is way out of shape to even continue making the calculations he is, considering he doesn't remember why he even started them. ZAX even has had some of his security systems hacked by ODYSSEUS, and is fighting to protect himself from succumbing to memory cannibalization. To be learned by the PC, he has used almost all of his memory banks that are still functioning in the calculation, and over the span of his life.
Interactions with the player character[edit | edit source]
Being extremely important to the Dome's survival, ZAX is most likely to task the player with finding new memory storage units for it. Holodisks are one thing that the Dome scientists are willing to barter from you, but they are a weak, temporary fix, and not nearly enough for mass memory storage. When talked to, the ZAX can answer such questions as the origins of the plague, ULYSSES' purpose (also known as ODYSSEUS), and his calculation.
Related quests[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- ZAX does not know that the New Plague and the Blue Flu are the same thing.
- Even the scientists are oblivious as to what the calculation truly is.
- ZAX is becoming somewhat of a schizophrenic because of his contradicting purposes Presper "gave" him.
- He is the underdog, its hard not to side with him and help him.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
ZAX did not appear, nor was mentioned in any published games, but was going to appear in Van Buren, the canceled Fallout 3 by Black Isle Studios. It is unknown whether a similar NPC will be in any upcoming game.
Sources[edit | edit source]
More than three ZAX in VB?
- Boulder design document/1
- Boulder design document/2
- Boulder design document/3
- Boulder design document/4
- Boulder design document/5
- Twin Mothers tribe PIPBoy entries
- ZAX in Boulder dialogue pieces
- Xian dialogue pieces
- Mesa Verde design document/2
- No Mutants Allowed posts on Van Buren
- Tibbets Prison design document/1
- Denver design document/2
- B.O.M.B.-001 design document/2